Bad organ playing and singing in church!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Bad organ playing and singing in church!!!

Hi - after a few years of listening to badly played music on poorly tuned organs and bad singing by the congregation (despite the good technical quality of the recording) I am looking for a new creative approach to edit the hymns in church. I've tried overdubbing professionally recorded hymns but apart from timing issues it just sounds wrong.

Any creative ideas you guys would like to share?

Cheers

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Peter, I share your judgment and concerns. Fortunately most of our couples choose to omit the hymns so we fade our during the intro and back in at the end of the hymn. If they insist on the hymns I know of no solution other than to record the original, unless you use loads of B roll and time getting the commercial sound into sync with the images.

With the processional/recessional we use professionally recorded pieces - fortunately during my time in France I got to know a "Maitre d'Orgue" very well and he recorded the most commonly used pieces on a small but very modern organ. This is invaluable because it's not getting identical recordings that's the problem but getting them on organs of the size and scale usually found in parish churches.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's a tough situation especially if the organist is doing the bride a favour!! I had one that made countless mistakes during the bridal entrance but to overdub her would have been a sin as the bride even wanted her featured on the ceremony clip.

Where audio from the Church system is poor I usually grab the CD from the bride afterwards so I can dub over the live capture but with a large (especially a big pipe organ) it's hard to get the same result.

Even if the singing is poor (most guests are tone deaf anyway) at least you are accurately capturing the day for the bride. Who knows the guy that is singing the loudest and most out of tune might be her father!! and you dare not overdub that!!!

I think that sometimes we tend to look at technical perfection with our productions and that often might spoil the special mood that the bride expects???? Even if she has no technical expertise, she still knows that she never had a full orchestra at her wedding and would be happier for your final edit to be what she remembered even if the people sang out of tune

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Chris.... opportunity is staring you in the face !!!

Chris' Wedding Videos and Singing Lessons LLC :-)

You can use that idea free of charge, I won't ask for my usual consulting fee. :-)

Chip's Videos and Business Consulting Serves LLC :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
(snipped) Even if she has no technical expertise, she still knows that she never had a full orchestra at her wedding and would be happier for your final edit to be what she remembered even if the people sang out of tune

Chris
This is so right. Matching the sound is absolutely key; it's why I'm fortunate in having access to a recording of the Wagner/Mendelssohn pieces etc played well on a small organ. I'm seeing the guy at Christmas - I'm almost tempted to ask him if I can record a set and sell them. Sorry, bad idea.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques