Discouraging clients from requesting changes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Don,
That was really insightful. It's terrible to think that someone would hit you with the "I'll sue you" bit, but as you said, it's probably unavoidable if you're in the industry long enough.

The contract I sent to the lawyer includes clauses intended to protect us from:
- Failing to film the event due to illness, injury, car breakdown, etc.
- Loss of footage due to camera malfunction, memory card malfunction, theft, loss, etc.
- Creative disagreements
- Video quality / shots or Audio quality suffering due to restrictions imposed by the venue, due to camera malfunction, due to interference by other people, or other unforeseeable circumstances out of our control.
- Not being fully paid (we have to be fully paid by the end of the wedding night, or else we're not doing any editing until they pay up)
- Failing to deliver the videos within the estimated time period
- If the couple cancels before the wedding (we keep the deposit, which is 1/2 of the total cost - though, honestly, there's room for our discretion here too.)
- If guests etc., object to being filmed
- If we arrive at a venue and they do not allow us to film (e.g. an extremely strict church)
- Having to keep the raw footage forever. (We'll keep backups of the finished files, so they can get extra copies if necessary)
- If DVD / Blu-ray discs are not compatible with certain players

Some things I probably need to add:
- Not liable for "emotional damages" if footage is lost, etc.
- Not liable for any injury cause by individuals tripping on our equipment (I don't know if this would stand up in court??? we have lots of insurance just in case)

Clients must look at these contracts and think twice before hiring us, but then these are pretty standard / crucial parts of any photography / videography contract.
Kevin Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #17
New Boot

I've only ever had one request for a re-edit in 7 years (wanted the groom's father edited out of the reception video if you can believe it!) . I don't imagine it's because we create a perfect product. But ... I'm wondering if it's because our approach is more 'documentary' than cinematic. We don't create a highlight ... but rather deliver dvds that always approach two hours in length.

The complete wedding (edited from 4 cameras), all of the reception 'events' are full length. The only thing edited for time occurs when the final 'event' (bouquet toss ... etc.) is complete. The 'party' if you will, is edited for length. We do create a 'music video' version of the complete day that appears at the end of the dvd.

So my guess is the only thing they might 'critique' is the angle that I picked.

So with you guys who do those beautiful cinematic / highlight style videos I can see how they might request that some other shot/person be edited in.

I do agree though ... it shouldn't be free ... you must charge them appropriately. After all your clients have seen your work ... they chose you for a reason. Be clear that they are going to always get a representative of what they based their decision to book on and I don't imagine you'll run in to many problems.

Just my thoughts,

Steve Pustay
Steven Pustay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Cavett View Post
This usually works...

Editing rate: $125 per hour
Editing rate while you watch: $225 per hour
Editing rate while you watch and make comments: $475 per hour
Best terms of agreement I have ever read in any contract. -:)
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #19
Regular Crew

As I'm preparing to deliver some discs to another client, I just remembered something that may well have encouraged edit requests.

I always include a thank you letter with the finished product, and part of the letter mentions our policy of correcting technical errors within 2 weeks. For the latest set of clients, I've changed the wording, defining technical edits primarily as typos, scratched discs, menu problems, and blank frames. I've also mentioned that any requests for creative changes, such as adding or removing particular shots, changing songs, etc. are subject to a re-edit fee.

Hopefully this also discourages change requests. I'd omit our policy re: technical changes entirely, but then I'm afraid we'll have couples coming back to us *months* from now asking us to make changes. (Yes, our contract says technical changes must be requested within 2 weeks of delivery, but how many clients re-read their contract upon delivery?)

Also, for those who deliver in Blu-ray format:
I advise couples to turn down the sharpness setting on their tv, since it introduces artificial noise / pixels. Does anyone else do this?
Kevin Hill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques