DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   surprise (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/487464-surprise.html)

Paul Mailath November 14th, 2010 12:54 AM

surprise

My 2nd shooter was covering this wedding and left this little surprise for me to find during the edit

luckily we had other footage to go to but it's a classic

Chris Harding November 14th, 2010 01:50 AM

Hi Paul

We all get it!! Last weekend the photog kneeled down in front of my static camera ..her excuse?? "Oh I didn't know it was on!!" I got some great footage of the back of her T-Shirt!! Again my 2nd cam saved the day!!

Chris

Michael Simons November 14th, 2010 08:45 AM

The photographer rarely even uses these photos in the album and here they are ruining the wedding video.

Alex Khachatryan November 14th, 2010 01:13 PM

This happened to me not so long ago, I was a 2nd camera and this huge guy popped up in front of my cam and was standing there during the entire ceremony. I wanted to fight with this 6ft tall idiot.

Ray Pegram November 14th, 2010 03:18 PM

...if they ever made a long collapsible pole with a hook on the end that attaches to the tripod for such times I reckon every wedding videographer would have one... dont you just love the excuse, I didnt know the camera was on... yeah right

Jim Snow November 14th, 2010 03:37 PM

There is a certain personality that actually gets something out of blocking a shot. Most aren't this way fortunately but there are a few that do it very deliberately. I don't understand what must be going through their mind when they do. Do they think this will gain them some praise when the client sees it!?

Paul Mailath November 14th, 2010 07:03 PM

Well I'm seriously thinking of leaving it in the edit - not the whole thing but just enough to see her start to move into view before I cut to another (not as good) angle - at least that will answer the brides question as to why I didn't get her saying the vows.

I've also rendered it out for my iphone and I'm going to show it to every photog I work with on the day, maybe that will minimise the problem.

Chris Harding November 15th, 2010 02:03 AM

Hi Paul

I left a little bit of my photog in the video...she's not totally blocking the vows but you can see that she is being obtrusive!! The amazing thing is that when I chatted to both at the bridal prep shoot they both emphasised that they had huge zooms so they wouldn't be in my way ever!! The bride was there obviously and heard our conversation so she dare not comment !!

By contrast, last Saturday I did a wedding at one of our local dams (special permission!!) and it was on the actual road across the dam wall so space was at a premium. The photog was an absolute joy to work with!!! He actually took the trouble to walk behind my camera each and every time and I didn't need any covering shots at all. In fact it was hard to find him even in the B-Cam footage..but he still worked hard!!!

If only all photogs were as considerate as Ross!!!! I'll jump for joy if I have to shoot with him again!!

The ones I really have an issue with are the ones I call "ants" ...they insist on using macro lenses and working just a few inches from the couple's faces...there is no way you can ever cover that!!! My last shoot with two young "ants" even made the priest utter some stern words!!!!

Hmmm maybe make two DVD's and sit down with the bride and watch the first one with the photog in shot and see what her comments are??? Then present her with your real DVD. Hopefully she might give the first copy to the photog to show her the error of her ways????

Chris

Chris Harding November 15th, 2010 02:08 AM

Hi Ray

I was thinking more on just a pole and a hook to drag the photog out of the way.

Maybe we need to point out that the little box on the side of the lens hood is actually a taser with a range of around 10 metres... "If I were you, I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to go closer than 10 metres from my camera"

Chris

Johannes Soetandi November 15th, 2010 02:50 AM

Yeah, I know one photog who'd just walked around without considering the camera. We've chatted several times during prep.. but still, when the critical time comes, they seemed to forget our agreement in the morning *sigh*

Paul Mailath November 15th, 2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1588118)
Maybe we need to point out that the little box on the side of the lens hood is actually a taser with a range of around 10 metres... "If I were you, I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to go closer than 10 metres from my camera"

Chris

I did a (fake) review on a product suitable for this purpose some time ago..

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...raphers-8.html

Chris Harding November 15th, 2010 07:55 AM

Nice review Paul!!

Maybe a flame thrower (sorta WW2 style) You would only need to use it once!!

I would dearly love to hire a 2nd shooter who would constantly get in the way of the photog..preferably in front of them ... I reckon that waving a really large ENG camera coupled with a carefully aimed wack to the head and then an apology just might make them realise how annoying it is to have someone stand in front of you!!

Unfortunately sometimes you have to just let fly a torrent of abuse when things really get bad and it's quite surprising how they back off. I was filming speeches at the same reception as my "ants" and they stepped in front of the camera just one time too many so I let them have it!!! They kept a healthy distance after that!!

Chris

David Schuurman November 15th, 2010 07:57 PM

At my sisters wedding I did the video but hired two other guys to shoot much of the reception. My sisters photographer was only hired until shortly after the reception started and my girlfriend (being an aspiring photographer who is actually quite good might I add) was asked to take photos of the speeches and cake cutting etc after she left.

During one of the speeches my gal (alison) walked to a certain spot to get a photo and it was right in the line of sight of my one camera guys. in the quiethall while they were giving the speech I heard the guy very loudly whisper "aaalliiissoonnnnnn!!!" she got out of his way any everyone on that side of the hall had a bit of a laugh.

I gave her a bit of a light hearted scolding because she's heard me countless times complain about photographers blocking my shot.

Kelly Langerak November 15th, 2010 10:53 PM

I just found one yesterday too. DURING THE VOWS!!! I had to leave it there cause my camera was moving and I was counting on cam 2 to be there. I had to use about 5 seconds of it and I put it in purposely so that the Bride knows that the camera man was responsible for us not capturing all of the vows. I had no choice. He was a nice guy but they don't *&^%ing realize what they are doing.

We now walk right up to them while rolling and tell them to move.

I'm building a reel of shots to make into a short vid. Anyone want to contribute to the reel?

Paul Mailath November 16th, 2010 05:28 AM

just tell me what format you want my footage in

if fact that's not a bad idea - a compilation of the worst blocking by photogs that we can all use to 'suggest' that they stop doing it!!!!!