DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Pal format for dvd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/487536-pal-format-dvd.html)

Clarence S. Walker November 15th, 2010 04:14 PM

Pal format for dvd

Hi, I am working with the old Premiere Pro Editing software with the Matrox RT.X 100Xtreme Capture card.

My clients have requested 3 of their videos in the NTSC format, and 2 of their finished videos be in the PAL format on DVD. Do I have to shoot with a PAL camera in order to edit and export in the PAL format.

Can I simply select PAL when I begin editing a new project and then simply select the same thing in the Adobe DVD software when I open a new project there?

Or if I edited in the standard NTSC, can I now "convert" to PAL during export?

Thanks for your help,

Clarence

Dimitris Mantalias November 16th, 2010 12:25 AM

Last time I tried to convert from PAL to NTSC with Premiere, it sucked. Download and try the demo of Mainconcept Reference. Chances are that you will like the quality of conversion.

Bill Engeler November 16th, 2010 01:59 AM

If you shoot and edit in a larger format - like HDV - you can convert to PAL at the end and it should be OK. Not perfect, but OK. But if you have an old version of PPro, the downconvert will be not so great.

If you shoot SD NTSC, the conversion tp PAL will look pretty poor. PAL has more pixels, so the image will be soft.

If PAL quality is important, I suggest shooting HD 29.97 (or whatever), exporting this HD in an intermediate format like Cineform or HuffYUV (I haven't used it, but I'm told it's good, and it's free), then downconverting and changing the frame rate for the PAL version using something besides an old version of PPro. I like Procoder 3 for this. I don't know what kind of budget you have, though. There are free solutions if you search the forums.

Clarence S. Walker November 16th, 2010 11:45 AM

Hi Dimitris and Bill:

I made the mistake of telling the client that I could provide two Pal copies of their video along with three NSTC videos.

I've already edited their wedding and have the NSTC videos ready to ship.

Now I'm stuck because providing the PAL version is more difficult than I thought. Before I speak with them, I'm trying to make sure what exactly I can provide. I'm limited to only the equipment I've listed above and need an opinon on weather it's likely I can provide a quality PAL version of their video.

I just need an opinion from anyone on my odds of completing the project. I can work-around with them if I can't do what's neccessary.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Clarence

PS: First, AND LAST, time I'll make a promise to a client without knowing if I can come through. My ten year streak is broken!!!

John Knight November 16th, 2010 12:43 PM

Hi Clarence - I'm in New Zealand and shoot on PAL

Occasionally I have the misfortune of shooting an American couple's wedding who want NTSC copies. I shoot and edit the whole thing in PAL, export a final PAL .avi file, suck it into ProCoder and convert it to a NTSC-MPG2 file. Then start DVD Architect (or anything similar) and choose NTSC for my project settings, suck in the NTSC-MPG2 and author as normal. Works 100% perfectly.

This should work fine in reverse.

However, ALL dvd players and TV's here in PAL-LAND have absolutely no problem playing NTSC source material. People order movies from Amazon all the time. I think you'll find your clients have read old requirements regarding the NEED for footage to be in PAL. I suggest you give them NTSC versions and tell them if there is a problem, THEN worry about the conversion.

Clarence S. Walker November 16th, 2010 01:46 PM

Thank you so much John, and everyone else who responded. You've saved my bacon. I really appreciate your great suggestion John. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Anders Risvold November 16th, 2010 06:16 PM

PAL to NTSC is easier (due to number of pixles, as mentioned). Besides trying converter software (and to save some headaches), most (if not all) european TV's and DVD players play NTSC just fine.

I hope you add in some extra $ on the bill, I know its easy to streach out to do 'everything' for customers, but time (and money spent on just this little plugin etc) quickly adds up. Extra coding work, another DVD to be mastered, printed etc. Hours fly by fast :)