Women in Wedding Videography - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Philip

What do you suggest ??? Of course, the simplest answer is the one you already have!! Marry a videographer but I know how busy ladies get running kids, home and husbands and purely figured that someone who has "been there and done that" and now has either retired or has time to spare would be a better bet.

Yeah, our laws are also a bit silly and you need to take extreme care with descriptions otherwise you are accused of racial, age, gender and many more kinds of discrimination..in fact just advertising for a female is probably wrong to start with!!! I guess you have to be totally open and then sift thru the ones you don't want.

I'd probably be better off struggling on my own then the issue will not arise at all.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #17
Trustee

Chris, in truth, I don't think there is an answer, at least not an easy one.

I'm not an expert on labour laws but I guess as single person businesses we could probably seek a female camera op - on the grounds that a female could work in the bride's bedroom when required more easily than a man.

You'd still have to choose a mature candidate from the number who apply - but how many might that be? Female camera ops may be quite common in studios these days; I don't recall many in the 70's or 80's.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Philip

Thanks for the insight!! Hmmm maybe I need to go to a "lonely hearts" site ... they certainly couldn't discriminate there for a male videographer looking for a female partner!!! We are coming close to the joke where the farmer advertised for a wife with a tractor and added "please send photo of the tractor"

To be serious again I have a shoot on 11th where the bride actually said that she would prefer a lady videographer to do the girls prep shoot... that way they can just get ready without having to shut the camera person out of the bedroom when they are changing. It's a very valid point!!! I also did a 2009 shoot where the bride (due to her culture) was only permitted to have women in the prep area of the home so she ended up not having any prep shoot!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #19
New Boot

Thank you Carla, Marion and Rochelle.

It's good to know that you're out there in DVinfoland.
Megan Coates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #20
Major Player

My experiences looking for a second shooter with the "chick" perspective.

I put my posting on Craiglist and said I preferred a chick. I got quite a few responses, mostly from guys. I posted again some time later and was more pointed about wanting a woman for the female perspective she can bring to doing wedding videos.

All totaled I received responses from 4-6 women, compared to 4 or 5 times that many from guys. As Philip pointed out, the older people were men who began in local broadcast TV. The younger were people where many had degrees from one of the colleges/universities here in Wisconsin. Most of those were looking to be trained so they could end up being my next newest competitor.

In reality, photography, and quality equipment for it, has been around for decades, where quality consumer video hasn't been easily/inexpensively acquired until the last 15 years or so. When you back up the ages of those women that responded to my posting, quality video has been available for all or at least most of their post high school lives. I think that plays a big part in why older female videographers are not around. There was no opportunity for them to acquire an interest compared to photography.

The second issue I have experienced, as Chris and I have discussed, being able to have someone "on call" is just about a waste of time. I honestly think if we are going to retain a second shooter, that person is going to have to have an expectation of regular income and regular opportunity if they are going to commit and really become the second shooter for any length of time.

Now as far as Mr. Harding's comment about me looking for any opportunity to meet ladies. I have a one word response for that....... yup!!!! :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #21
AVPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Coates View Post
Thank you Carla, Marion and Rochelle.

It's good to know that you're out there in DVinfoland.
Yep, we are out there...inspite of the guys chatting on this thread. AND I thought women can talk...ha LOL
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Megan

I'm a female wedding videographer ...I've just joined here and I don't think there is that many of us around. But we are on the increase!

I work in Ireland and I know of a few female videographers in the industry here. I would say that there would be less then 20% female (at an estimate) but its just in the last few years there has been quite a few new additions.

The reason for this (I think) is women are a little intimidated but the technical aspects of the business... I know I was when I started out!
Ana Conlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Megan.

I'm here! (WAVES).

@ana

I've worked in all techy areas in network broadcast and broadcast-related for well over 35 years before setting up on my own (having retired twice).
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I'M HERE TOO!

Hi Ana, where are you based? I'm way down in Cork (enjoying the snow at the mo!)

I def think it's a lot to do with the heavy lifting etc involved, but I work on films/tv etc, so I'm kind of used to all the lugging of things around.

I absolutely love all the gear and tech talk, but I suppose, I don't post a lot here because most of my questions are already answered, so for that-thank you everyone!
Mary Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:56 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Claire and Mary

I think Claire the equipment is getting smaller which helps!

Mary...
I'm based in Dublin and Mayo. I live in Dublin and Mayo is my home county so I'm happy to work out of both locations.

How many of us would you say is in Ireland percentage wise? I reckon its pretty low! Even though your based in Cork I do recognize your name but that's no surprise as Ireland is so small with so few ladies videographers!

How's business going for yea....I'm surprise the booking are still trickling in despite the state of the country!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM   #26
Major Player

Two of the members of my team are female. I want more! I have to say that females see things us men don't... And when it comes to weddings that is incredibly valuable!
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM   #27
New Boot

I've found there to be a lack of women in the video field in general. When I worked in news I was the only female photog at my stations and there was only one other that I ran into in the markets I've worked in. My main business right now is legal videography and almost on a weekly basis I hear, "I've never worked with a woman videographer before." I actually kind of like the novelty of doing a job that people don't expect when they look at me. I was also a competitive snowboarder in my younger years and I ran into the same thing then. I guess I like showing up the boys, or at least trying to.

I don't post here very often because I haven't been shooting weddings for very long so I don't feel as though I have any wisdom to contribute. Oh, and the lack of time.

-Leslie
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM   #28
Regular Crew

The comment I like is the Who do you work for! Or the assumption that I'm an employee of the male photographer

People are always so shocked that it just me working for myself
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:30 AM   #29
Regular Crew

That's hilarious Ana, I get that a lot too because my 2nd camera op is a guy, so people always assume that I'm working for him!

As for a percentage of females doing weddings in Ireland, I know of about 3/4 others (which isn't to say that more don't exist), so yes, percentage wise, it's fairly low.
Mary Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM   #30
New Boot

same thing for me!

My 2nd is a guy, and people are always asking him questions, he's awesome enough, to say "oh! She's the big boss. You should ask her!"

I also get a lot of people thinking that I'm in a relationship with my 2nd. Because I guess a lot of male/female teams are a couple. But nope! My hubby is a contractor and knows very little about what I do. (Although he's trying to learn, which I love!)

I guess there's just always going to be generalizations.
Megan Coates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques