PluralEyes and Multi-Cam Nesting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Major Player

PluralEyes and Multi-Cam Nesting

I just found out about two things I've never used before and I'm feeling pretty excited about them. I wondered if most people use these already, or if they are novelties for weddings. The first is PluralEyes. I downloaded the trial and it seems to have synced a ceremony perfectly. I haven't edited the footage yet, but it looks good so far. The second is just a feature in Premiere Pro that I'm sure is available in other programs. Nesting/Multi-Cam Editing a sequence. Seems like it'd be a great way to work through at least a rough cut of the ceremony, although a second go though would definitely be necessary. What are your thoughts on these?
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Once I heard of PluralEyes, I felt my life had new meaning.

Yes... it's THAT good.

Just click 'sync', go pop open a beer and come back and it's done.

It's not perfect and I have found it to be off by as many as 3 frames... but that's it. Barely noticeable.
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Trustee

We multicam almost everything. Syncing is so simple in our NLE (Liquid) I've never been tempted to consider anything else. IMHO three frames out is still out and will certainly cause a perceptible echo if applied to soundtracks.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Major Player

I tried PluralEyes but it wont work with HDV footage (which is not cut by scenes). I'd have to pre-cut all footage prior to using PE :-(

But Multi-cam Editing is neat - great for long church ceremonies (when I know I have an hour of non-stop footage).
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Major Player

pluraleyes is worth my every penny. especially since they upgraded to the latest version. i was like.. WOW.. thats a lot faster and a lot better in syncing!

you dont get everything synced everytime. but its a lot better than nothing.
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Major Player

Three frames is close enough for me to do the rest manually. I just edited two ceremonies (one was 40 minute 2-cam, the other was 25 minute 3-cam) in about 1 hour 45 minutes. That includes time to do manual adjustments for audio syncing and fixing video that needed cleaning up from multi-cam edits. I almost feel like I need to say that I'm NOT affiliated with PluralEyes, because I probably sound like a commercial! Anyhow, I'm glad to have found out about both of these. Significant decrease in workflow time. I shoot a couple non-english weddings a year, so this will be great for those especially.
Old November 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
I tried PluralEyes but it wont work with HDV footage (which is not cut by scenes). I'd have to pre-cut all footage prior to using PE :-(

But Multi-cam Editing is neat - great for long church ceremonies (when I know I have an hour of non-stop footage).
Lukas, we use PluralEyes all of the time to sync HDV footage in Sony Vegas Pro 8. We drop the various cams footage on the timeline and PluralEyes syncs it up with no problem. Then we multicam edit once the footage is synced.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons View Post
Lukas, we use PluralEyes all of the time to sync HDV footage in Sony Vegas Pro 8. We drop the various cams footage on the timeline and PluralEyes syncs it up with no problem. Then we multicam edit once the footage is synced.
DJ, does Vegas cuts footage by scenes during capturing tapes? I never understood any Premiere doesn't.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques