DSLR Lens Must Have at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Major Player

DSLR Lens Must Have

I guess this post is sort of a two-part question:

I have a Canon T2i and am wanting to ask for another lens for Christmas. Right now all I have is the kit 18-55mm 3.5 - 5.6 IS, 55-200 4 - 5.6, and 50 1.8. My budget is less than $300, so I realized my options are limited. What could you recommend in this price range? I'd be interested to have a wide angle lens, but don't know much about them.

The second question is, what is your "must have" lens and your favorite part about it?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post

I have a Canon T2i and am wanting to ask for another lens for Christmas. Right now all I have is the kit 18-55mm 3.5 - 5.6 IS, 55-200 4 - 5.6, and 50 1.8. My budget is less than $300, so I realized my options are limited. What could you recommend in this price range? I'd be interested to have a wide angle lens, but don't know much about them.

The second question is, what is your "must have" lens and your favorite part about it?
Michael, Here is a great lens at $294, the 35mm 2.0 The 50mm 1.8 is too tight on the cropped T2i.

wide angle ef 35mm f/2.0 autofocus lens
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I think this one would be good for you if you can spend some extra money

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381615-REG/Sigma_300101_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For shooting wedding reception, lens with fix aperture is very important. I go with Canon 79-200 F2.8 L-lens and the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8. For outdoor, I use Sigma 18-250mm F3.5 to 6.3. It has a good zoom range that I don't have to worry about not enough light.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post

Hi Michael,

Since you posted this in the Wedding section, I am assuming you are looking for a lens for wedding work. You have a nice range already, so I would consider going really wide or a fast longer lens. For Glidecam work and even handheld, I really like the Tokina 11-16 2.8. It's about as fast as they come in that focal length, but it is twice your budget. If there is any way you can save $300 plus your current $300, it would be well worth it.

For tight shots during the First Dance and the Parent Dances I really like 85mm 1.4 lenses. Rokinon makes one right in your price range and at 1.4, it's great for low light receptions.

I consider both of theses lenses "must have" for my shooting style. The Tokina is also an awesome lens for reception decor shots in addition to Glidecam shots and the 85mm 1.4 is awesome for getting tight shots in low light.

You can see examples of both of theses lenses in the Same Day Edit below. Prep and most of Ceremony was shot with the HMC150s, but most of the reception was shot with DSLRs. If it's a really wide shot, it's the Tokina 11-16. Tight shots during the First Dance was the 85mm 1.4. I actually use the Zeiss Planar T 85mm 1.4, but the Rokinon is less than $300. Close shots of the reception decor, knife dance and cake cutting was shot with a 50mm 1.4.
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Major Player

I second the Sigma 30mm 1.4. Wide enough to be more useful on a crop-sensor, and fast enough to use at receptions without a light. You could also look into the Canon 28mm 1.8. That's a nice lens as well. Both are a bit over $300, but well worth the extra.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Major Player

I too use the tokin 11-16, the samyang (rokinon) 85mm 1.4 and the sigma 30mm 1.4

All are great lenses, I probably use the samyang the most, its killer for first dances.

The samyang 85mm 1.4 is the last shot of this teaser

and the sigma 30mm`.4 is at the end of this one

When it comes to low light shooting, I've got the sigma 30mm 1.4 getting a wide(ish) shot on my 550d, and the samyang 85mm.1.4 on my 7d getting a tighter shot.

Really handy combo if the ceremony or speeches are by candle light!

James

Last edited by James Strange; November 24th, 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: embed issues
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques