DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Questionnaire (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/48794-questionnaire.html)

Jennifer Graves August 3rd, 2005 08:36 PM

Questionnaire

I started sending out a questionnaire to my clients along with my contract for them to fill out and return. It asks basic questions like, "how do you want your names to appear on the video," "what are your colors (I use those for labeling and titles)," "approx. number of guests attending (gives me an idea of how big the wedding is)," etc. I was just wondering if others also sent one of these out and what other kinds of questions you feel are very important to ask before the day of the wedding.

Jason Bowers August 3rd, 2005 08:58 PM

I normally meet with the B&G and discuss songs, if there is anyone that they want extra attention spent on, names of bridal party and parents. Style of video, whether it is slow and romantic or quick and funny, I try to parody their favourite sitcom and recreate the same introduction as the show. For instance my september wedding has a Friends theme video, so we will shoot in a fountain and recreate that opening scene for thier video. It is usually fun and has a great response. However a questionaire will do the same thing, but I like to meet with them so I can give them a little extra attention and really make them feel that they are running the show.

Peter Jefferson August 3rd, 2005 09:59 PM

call me a perfectionist, but i send out a 3 page application form which goes through all this..

i then take that wth me on teh day of filming and if i get lost coz theyre handwriting sux, its not my problem.. lol

actually the application forms part of the agreement, being that the info they provide is used as a basis for the work itself. Its where they can give their feedback to what they want included.whether it be music fonts etc etc

This forms a part of their contract, so if they get it wrong or change their minds, well, thats tough cookies.. to a point...

Patrick Moreau August 4th, 2005 10:39 PM

We provide something similar to a form, but trying and keep the questions relatively basic and nothing too tiny. I would never ask what font color, or partuicular font or small details like that as I think they really restrain the creative portion of the video.

Peter Jefferson August 4th, 2005 11:29 PM

yeah things like that are explained, as some fonts just dont work with video due to detail (or lack of) or might just be difficult to read..

see this 3 page form sits alongside a 7 page contract though.. and we need to ensure that we have all the details before the edit starts, as i dont like to hassle people during the edit or in their honeymoon stage of teh marriage...
I used to call couples after the wedding and say shit like " im doing your wedding, what font or music would you like" and theyre like, "oh great, can we come and see how your going?
Nah.. this way works much better.. most of the time, they leave the font out and i use my discretion, but at least the offer was there.. so they cant come back to me later.. yeah it may seem im a little tough, but when u read how thorough the contract and the forms are, there is no room for error on anyones behalf. Gotta rememebr that in business, time is prolly worth more than the $$ themselves..

Joel Peregrine August 12th, 2005 10:03 AM

Hi Jennifer,

I've been doing all my forms and contracts online for a while. It really speeds up the workflow of paperwork and eliminates mailing. Contracts go out as pdfs attached to e-mails and the clients are directed to go to forms I've set up on my site to let me know the details of what will happen on the wedding day. After the wedding there is a customization form that allows them to have a say in what is included and/or cut out...

Joel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
I started sending out a questionnaire to my clients along with my contract for them to fill out and return. It asks basic questions like, "how do you want your names to appear on the video," "what are your colors (I use those for labeling and titles)," "approx. number of guests attending (gives me an idea of how big the wedding is)," etc. I was just wondering if others also sent one of these out and what other kinds of questions you feel are very important to ask before the day of the wedding.

Todd Lamkin August 13th, 2005 08:48 PM

We have put our questionair online, which makes it easier for both of us. You can see it here.

http://www.blacktievp.com/form1.html

Peter Jefferson August 14th, 2005 06:24 AM

thats a good idea you have their todd, i tried that, however people seem dubious about submitting info online and not face to face..

a part of the sales pitch for us is intimate comunications with the client, considering we spend so much time so close to them on the one day which is prolly the most important of thie rlives (until the baby is born ;) ).

I found that aside from technical issues with servers etc some peoples java confiiigs wouldnt comply, and it just made more problems, than to be an actual help to us. This is just me and my clients though, and it did work well when it was used properly, however with an actual form which is written by hand by the client, you have more than enough ammunition on your part in case of errors. Also this application form is a part of their contract, so it must be signed and a copy retained by the client in case of discrepancies.

With clients, and with anythign you do for your business, be sure you get it all in writing for you and your customers sake...

Glen Elliott August 14th, 2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine
Hi Jennifer,

I've been doing all my forms and contracts online for a while. It really speeds up the workflow of paperwork and eliminates mailing. Contracts go out as pdfs attached to e-mails and the clients are directed to go to forms I've set up on my site to let me know the details of what will happen on the wedding day. After the wedding there is a customization form that allows them to have a say in what is included and/or cut out...

Joel

That's very good advice- I "still" find myself mailing my contract to brides. Maybe it's partially because it's legal size and most people don't have that size paper readily available in their home but I may reformat the contract to fit on a standard 8.5x11 to easily be printed.

More and more I'm embracing the whole booking over the phone idea. Saves so much time for both me and the client and there is no less information exchanged.

Joel Peregrine August 15th, 2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
That's very good advice- I "still" find myself mailing my contract to brides. Maybe it's partially because it's legal size and most people don't have that size paper readily available in their home but I may reformat the contract to fit on a standard 8.5x11 to easily be printed.

More and more I'm embracing the whole booking over the phone idea. Saves so much time for both me and the client and there is no less information exchanged.

Hey there,

For the day when (notice the when, not if) you're completely switched over to Mac OSX makes pdfs a breeze. After you've got the contract filled out hit control+print to bring up the print settings window. In the lower left corner of the window is a button to make it a pdf. Pick the destination for the file and its done. They sign it, date it and either pay with a credit card online or send a check back with the contract. I put a date on the contract that is a deadline for return. After that date the contract is void. I haven't had a situation yet inwhich the couple couldn't fill out the online pre-wedding form.