DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Short film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/487984-short-film.html)

Dror Levi November 24th, 2010 01:45 PM

Short film

I would like to start offering to my clients the 25 min short wedding film.
So I decided to take one of my previous wedding and edit it as a short film.
I am not sure if I should edit it as linear or nonlinear style.
As well what is th ratio time for each part of the film (bridle preparations, ceremony.......)
I would love to get any information, tips or even samples of short wedding film.
Thanks.

Travis Cossel November 24th, 2010 02:00 PM

Dror, I would recommend editing in the linear fashion your first time. It will make the process much easier and less daunting. Then when you feel comfortable you can experiment with nonlinear. The time breakdown can be different for every feature, and should be based on the story you captured on the day. If the reception is really long with lots of events for one wedding and another wedding only has a first dance, then you can see how they should time out differently in a short form.

If you're interested, I'm in the process of putting together private, one-on-one workshops for just this sort of thing. It would be well worth if you really want to do short forms. I would walk you through the process of how we put together our short forms and you'd see one of our short forms from start to finish. Plus, I'm in Miami also so you wouldn't have to pay for travel. Let me know if you're interested.

Dror Levi November 24th, 2010 05:09 PM

Thank you Travis for your respond.
I am very comfortable editing in the time shifting style. The only thing is that I am not sure what is the normal for the short film.

Mary Crowley November 30th, 2010 06:41 AM

I echo Travis's post. I've seen a few non linear short versions, and they can be great, but I think until you find your rhythm, you're probably safer to do a few linear ones.

Richard Wakefield November 30th, 2010 02:00 PM

I've decided to take off my password from an 11minute short form I uploaded 4 months ago, which I previously only shared with 1-to-1 trainees. I hope it helps in your decision, and gives little ideas on time shifting etc!

p.s. my short forms have come a long way since this one :)

Dror Levi November 30th, 2010 02:15 PM

Thank you Mary.
Can you point any online short wedding film.

Mary Crowley December 1st, 2010 05:15 AM

To be honest Dror, I don't think one could do much better than Richards clip above!

Dror Levi December 1st, 2010 12:13 PM

Thank you so much Richard.
For some reason I did not see this video when I replied last time to Mary.
I am going to watch it right now.

Dror Levi December 1st, 2010 12:32 PM

I just watched it and it is really well done.
Richard, do you deliver this as final product or they getting the long version as well?

Richard Wakefield December 1st, 2010 03:52 PM

Hi Dror

Thanks alot.
I do what many others do with short forms, in that I provide a 2nd disc with the ceremony and speeches in their entirety (or thereabouts!

Cheers, and good luck with ur own short forms!

Michael Simons December 5th, 2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 1593981)
Hi Dror

Thanks alot.
I do what many others do with short forms, in that I provide a 2nd disc with the ceremony and speeches in their entirety (or thereabouts!

Cheers, and good luck with ur own short forms!

Richard, this video is great. Thanks for sharing.