PhotoBooths at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Major Player

PhotoBooths

I just had an idea and thought I'd share. (Maybe it's not orignal, but oh well). With the popularity of photobooths and the DJs and Photographers being able to book them before us, I'm offering my brides the option of putting all their photos onto their wedding DVD. Making a mini photo montage of all the images and set it to music. Sure, the DJ and Photographer can also offer this, but it won't be on their wedding video. We may as well make some money off of these photobooths too?
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Just a quick question: how would this work in relation to the photographer? Would the photographer bring the booth, take the photos, and then supply you with the images, or would you bring the booth and take the photos yourself?

We've tried a video booth option before. Essentially it's a white backdrop with a few chairs, a vid cam and a mic. Guests come by and tell stories or give best wishes to the B&G. The only problem with this is we usually have to do it during the dance, which means the audio from the dance is seeps into the mic's audio. I suppose a different mic could help.
Kevin Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Heya, I am not too familiar with the 'photobooth', what is it ?

I always offer a photo montage as 'added value' to full day bookings.(I do also happen to make photo dvd slideshows as standalone product). Before the wedding I ask for around 10 pictures each of the couple before they met 'growing up', 10 pictures from them together dating etc, and after the wedding I ask them for another set from the wedding day and also the honeymoon.

It tends to be popular, and rather easy to make a show that for the most part is better than an average photographers 'slideshow' (at least those I have seen is mostly photos standing still for 5 secconds, then disolve into a new one etc etc).

But its more a selling point than a profit area. .
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's one by wedding video guru Josh Green...
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #5
AVPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
I just had an idea and thought I'd share. (Maybe it's not orignal, but oh well). With the popularity of photobooths and the DJs and Photographers being able to book them before us, I'm offering my brides the option of putting all their photos onto their wedding DVD. Making a mini photo montage of all the images and set it to music. Sure, the DJ and Photographer can also offer this, but it won't be on their wedding video. We may as well make some money off of these photobooths too?
LOL - Michael, I thought you were gonna say that you were thinking of a videobooth... :)
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I just did one.. I put together using Premiere and make it as a template. Now I can re-use it for other weddings too!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...booth-fun.html
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Major Player

First Photo Booth

We just did our very first photo booth set-up. Extra money to be made for those who also offer photography

www.digitalstudioasia.net Blog Archive Kristine Joy’s Photo Booth
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Trustee

The problem with photobooths is that it's more gear to take, more time on site and more post production and for what? A little extra money certainly but is it profitable?

We include in our basic, all-inclusive package a CD with 100+ stills taken from the HD master ie shots the photographer can't give them, the same 100+ shots in a printed photo album and and the same 100+ also pre-loaded on to a Sony 8inch digital photo frame which we buy at trade. We build the total on-cost cost into our price of course and still offer more value than any of our competitors.

By automating.templating the whole deal it adds about 3 hours work.

Result: We have an important edge over our competitors and the client is ecstatic. And we haven't shot a single frame extra so essentially we sell the same material four times. And the photographers who charge extra for everything look like cheapskates.

Last edited by Philip Howells; February 7th, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Pretty strong sentiment Philip, here's my take on the subject. I don't effing care if you make 1000 times return on your investment by grabbing stills from your HD without lifting a finger. I have been respectful at these forum and I suggest you do the same.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Trustee

Noel, I'm not sure which raw nerve I've touched but since I obviously have, accept my immediate apologies. I assumed that the thread was about video people making a little more money out of their time with the clients. I'm also pleased to know that you are disinterested in return on investment - good for you.

My detail was included so that others here in the same business could consider and adopt our method if they wish. I don't really understand to whom I was actually disrespectful - and I certainly wasn't profane even by abbreviation.

I do know many photographers who are very tee'd off with DJ's offering happy snaps, photobooths, even Chinese lanterns in one case. We also have locally a company that hires out wedding suits for the men and also produces wedding videos. I'm not into measuring inside legs so I'm not going there. My view is that we and the photographer are both better equipped skill-wise to supply photos than the DJ is and the whole world thrives on competition.

Incidentally we now offer a combined photo-video service in conjunction with a leading UK wedding photographer who's very happy with the relationship. Unlike many photographers who only give the couple one low res CD of their shots (and who have to wait for the disk to be passed round the families), he includes three CDs of his shoot. That speeds up additional sales from the parents of the couple - and increases his profitable turnover. Gets up the nose of some of course, but that's business and we'd argue we're delivering two quality products.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Major Player

I also apologize for losing it as well. I guess my 2 day battle with diarrahea made me a little bit grouchy today.

As a side note, the Photobooth we offer is being manned by another team ( set-up/shoot/tear down), there's no way we can do it our selves.
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #12
Trustee

Noel, understood - and my sympathy for your ill health. I didn't think from what I'd learned of you here on the forum, that you didn't feel much the same about increasing profitable turnover.

That you have additional people with the gear and can make a profit from including them in your package fits directly into my way of thinking.

Best regards for your return to rudeness - I mean rude health of course!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques