Anybody going to try the AF100?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Anybody going to try the AF100??

I've held off the DSLR technology unfortunately.

So just out of curiosity...
How many people are in my situation...In where there's a possibility to skip the whole learning curve of DSLR's, and head straight to this tool?

This Panny AF100 looks to be a blessing..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm going to be very careful about this, too. At this point, I want to see how the camera will be received and what bugs or issues come up and then make a decision to go AF-100 or D5. My hope is the AF-100 is everything I am looking for because I am so used to shooting traditional video - and all my supporting equipment is geared in that direction - it will actually be cheaper. If the results are there, I'll stick with what I know.
John Kilderry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah John....

I also shoot traditional video, and try to throw in some cinematic feel when i've got a controlled environment.
This tool might allow us to keep the traditional, and still allow for cinematic elements to a wedding video...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm also looking at this guy for hope to skip the DSLR "generation".
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Though I'm also taking a interest I'd proffer a caution at being the first to dive into brand new technology. I'll be happy to sit back and wait for it to be refined (and price adjusted) before seriously considering it.
Just an observation after 20 years of jumping in and buying the then greatest thing. I find that it takes a few incarnations of any piece of technology before it's right, and by then the next latest thing is on the horizon.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I personally am going to wait. I feel I've got the DSLR thing down pretty well right now and will keep running with it for the time being.
Jeremy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Im with jeremy, I am used to the dslr way of doing things. I now feel that the traditional videocam size is too bulky, and the af100 would be way too big (in my imagination anyway) with a 70-200 2.8 lens or something heavy.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Trustee

2011 is the year of new cameras. Panasonic has the AF100, Sony has the S35NXCAM, Canon ? Seat tight till NAB to watch your options. After that let the early adopters snitch out the issues then make a decision.
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Sony announces the S35NX just in time to give potential AF100 buyers pause.
The Sony looks like it might be smaller than the AF100. That would be nice. There's no reason to believe the new Sony will substantially outperform the AF100. Neither Sony or Panasonic want these cameras used in place of their more expensive offerings.
There's not much new technology in these cameras. There's not much risk in being a fairly early adopter, considering the type of product and the stature of these companies. The best glass to be buying over time is the harder choice.
The Sony does not sound like a 4/3 setup. Which is interesting.....
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
Im with jeremy, I am used to the dslr way of doing things. I now feel that the traditional videocam size is too bulky, and the af100 would be way too big (in my imagination anyway) with a 70-200 2.8 lens or something heavy.
We're creatures of habit, aren't we. My mental workflow is geared toward tons of buttons, toggles, and wheels and onboard and wireless audio monitoring that is all in plain sight. It's not better, but comfortable and reliable for me. To me, an AF100 or XF300 is tiny compared to the giant shoulder rigs back in the day and I don't give it a second thought.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Trustee

The AF-101 looks very interesting, but the big question for me is not the camera, but the lenses. I'm not yet happy with the lens / adapter options and until I am, I'm not going to make any decisions.

I'm also waiting to see what Canon do with the 5D mk3. For me, this will be the barometer of where HDSLR is going.
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kilderry View Post
We're creatures of habit, aren't we. My mental workflow is geared toward tons of buttons, toggles, and wheels and onboard and wireless audio monitoring that is all in plain sight. It's not better, but comfortable and reliable for me.
John you are sooooo right on the button on this !!!! :-)

I am the other end of the spectrum, began using consumer Pannys, then found the DVXs "threatening" I think. When I first used the GH1 with its smaller size weight and lack of knobs, it was like "coming home again". :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #13
Major Player

Habit indeed. I even found the DVX to be a bit consumer having always worked with full size shoulder cams where every thing that I need to get to is accessible without taking my eye from the viewfinder. This is probably the main thing that would stop me going to DSLRs, not sure about the AF-101.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi George

I started off in the '80's with the first Panasonic shoulder-mounts (my first was a M4 I think, Standard VHS!!) All my cameras since then has been shoulder-mount. I like the feel and the size and most of all the stability!!
Sure tiny cameras are convenient but then you have to pour more money into rigs to make handheld shots practical!!

I'll stick with my HMC72's for now and then change to the HMC80 next year sometime!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
I'm with David and Jeremy. I'm used to the DSLR now. I like the small camera where the guests don't even know there is a videographer. I started doing weddings in the early 90s so I've used the big rigs. I can't imagine being on a crowded dance floor with the big brick on my shoulder anymore..i wonder how I used to do it. haha
Michael Simons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques