Do you ever soften faces at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Trustee

Do you ever soften faces

With HD, the question arises; do you soften closeup shots of people (especially the bride) when it looks like they skipped a few too many appointments with their dermatologist? Occasionally you encounter someone whose complexion is hard to look at with closeup shots. I understand this an ongoing issue with Hollywood actresses. If so, is this something you just do or do you mention it to the bride?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ive found that Neat Video does wonders for the complexion. ;-))
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Trustee

I use Neat Video especially for low light / high noise footage. It's a great product. My question is more; do you soften faces by whatever means? There are several ways to do it. I'm asking; how do you handle it with the bride?
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Just do it! Don't even mind telling her, just make her look beautiful on whatever filter gradings possible, and believe me she will say... oh wow!!! and next time she has an event, you will be on top of her list.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Trustee

That is what I do. If she asks about it, I suppose a good thing to say is that you made a minor adjustment to compensate for the harsh lighting. I do believe whatever is said should be tactful. You definitely don't want to use words like fixing 'wrinkles' or 'pimples'.
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

kodak has a plugin that is made for this
KODAK PROFESSIONAL Image Enhancement Plug-Ins: GEM Pro Plug-in
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

or even better
Beauty Box : Skin Retouching Video Plugins for After Effects & Final Cut Pro :: Digital Anarchy
they got it as video plugin
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Major Player

We do... We use Beauty Box, great plug-in. Of course we often go a lot further than just fixing blemishes or wrinkles, we often find ourselves doing extensive roto work to remove unwanted objects in the shot.... really, there are probably better uses of time then spending hours on an edit that the bride would probably never notice in a million years, but if it doesn't get fixed it will drive me insane.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
we often find ourselves doing extensive roto work
I had a real ROTFL moment with that one. I envisioned a bride with a recent 'outbreak' getting a major rotoscope job. Now all we need is a fat filter and an ugly filter. ;-)
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I once told my wife I wanted to practice rotoscoping on her. She said "that's discusting" and I truely thought she was going to collect my life insurance. I strongly advise choosing word more carefully than I did when or if discussing this "procedure" with a bride.
O|O
\--/
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Major Player

Hahaha! When I said roto work I didn't mean on a bride... I'm talking about unwanted objects in the background. For example our own gear that was left on the floor or some other object that is distracting.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #12
Trustee

I hope the amusement value of this message will allow it to be off topic.

In 1972, when my then wife and I returned to the UK after 3 years in Chicago, amongst our possessions air-freighted home was a then new gadget for removing creases from hanging curtains. It was declared on the manifest as a Wrinkle Remover. When I went to Customs to pay my import duties, the officer said he had no idea what a Wrinkle Remover was but had charged it as a Cosmetic Appliance. I replied that my wife, then 29, would be aghast and explained what it actually was. The Customs officer said I should soften the blow by telling her that, if he'd known what it really was, the rate of duty would have been double.

On a more serious note, Jim is right about the history of retouching techniques in film. I recall when the TV series "Moonlighting" was made they used a half filter which softened one side of the picture (Cybil Shepherd's) whilst leaving the other (Bruce Willis's) unchanged. However, the filter wasn't made for this series but discovered at the studio - a relic from earlier days when it was made (I think I recall correctly) for Bette Davis though it's hard to imagine even her needing it as a young woman.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Jim, have you used the SKINTONE DTL feature on your FX1? If so, what's your opinion of how well it works in situations like this?
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Trustee

Hey Adam, I need to update my profile info. My main camera now is an EX1R and I'm adding a Panasonic GH2 to my 'bag' as soon as it's released.

I didn't try the Skintone DTL on my FX1. I'm generally afraid to use in-camera FX for fear of damaging footage. I do use the Cine 3 setting in a Picture Profile because I like the way it reduces crushing blacks. This whole subject of in-camera correction is something I should become more familiar with.
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Yeah, I never tried it when I had my FX1's either for the same reasons you describe. Always wondered if it worked.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques