DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   HELP!! White bra peeking through black shirt (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/489486-help-white-bra-peeking-through-black-shirt.html)

Bill Vincent December 29th, 2010 04:53 PM

HELP!! White bra peeking through black shirt

Despite the funny title of this post, I'm serious - I just did a shoot where I was interviewing a two-shot and didn't really notice it while shooting, but this woman's black shirt was peeking open revealing a very distracting white bra underneath. It's a spot that I think could be easily removed with some elementary tracking software and a little patch of black following her slight movement, but I don't know of any and I'm hoping some of you might.

I'm using FCP, so a plug-in would be great, or if someone knows how to do it without too much pain in FCP alone I'd try that too.

Thanks in advance...

Bill

Chip Thome December 29th, 2010 05:14 PM

I don't know if it does the color change patch of black thing, but Red Giant Colorista does allow correction to certain "areas" and follows those "areas" as the footage progresses. Again, not sure they have it for FCP, but it might be worth a try. I am pretty sure they have a demo available, if you want to check it out.

Bill Vincent December 29th, 2010 05:33 PM

Thanks for the response, Chip! Colorista may be the ticket, but if anyone else knows of other plug-ins too, I'd be grateful to hear them, or even techniques for tracking in FCP. I'm hoping not to have to spend $299, although I'm sure it's a great product anyway.

Anybody else know of any other plug-ins that can do a quick replace on a section of color like that over time?

Erik Andersen December 29th, 2010 11:16 PM

I'm assuming you don't have Motion? You can do motion tracking using that FCS program.

Rusty Rogers December 30th, 2010 01:25 AM

I'm new to FCP, but it looks pretty easy in "Color".
I'm a long-time Grass Valley user where that would be a easy native fix.

Dave Partington December 30th, 2010 04:30 AM

Depending on how much footage you have, you can use a garbage mask in FCP to achieve this and keyframe it where required. If there is lots of it then use motion.

Motion has an excellent tracking tool built right in and I've used it several times for 'match move' situations where I need to obscure or replace logos etc.

If you are not sure how to use it there is a great tutorial on this on Lynda.com. A one month ($25) subscription should get you going faster and cheaper than buying other software, since you already have Motion!

Round tripping between Motion and FCP is trivial and as good as a plugin ;) It's also MUCH better at things like stabilising footage than the Smoothcam feature in FCP. Motion would be worth it for that alone, and the good news is you really don't need to learn much of Motion at all to make this work. Like 0.00001% :)

Bill Vincent December 30th, 2010 05:26 AM

Thanks everyone - Motion seems like the best way for me to go, especially since I already own it! :) I'll check out the Lynda.com tutorial. This is exactly what I was hoping for!