Live Event Video Projection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Live Event Video Projection

I recently filmed an event at the Celtic Manor, Newport. My role was to project live video onto the big screen so everyone could see what was happening on stage.

I recorded it all, and put together this short highlights, would appreciate any feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZuLf4XjZd4

Thanks

Last edited by Lloyd Morgan; January 2nd, 2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: link was wrong
Lloyd Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Looks like the live video projection was very successful. Don't know how big the venue is but the audience would appreciate being able to see a close up view of the speakers.

The following comments are intended to be helpful - feel free to disagree. After all I wasn't there!

At the event, the audience would be listening to the speeches through the house PA system. For a highlights video though, ideally a clearer, less echoey sound would be more appropriate. How did you do the audio? Was it from an on-camera mic? It doesn't sound like you were able to take a line from the PA mixer. If I'm wrong, sorry, but if that is a direct signal from the mixer then their sound system leaves a lot to be desired.

If you think of the audio quality that's broadcast from any of the big award ceremonies, that's what is really needed. Easy to say, not so easy to achieve if you have no control over the house audio. Any time I have done this kind of event I have been fortunate enough to be responsible for both the live PA and the recording audio, so could plan it out and do both mixes myself. If necessary I have put in separate mics at the lectern for the recording, and where practical fitted up the speakers with radio lavs so that if they start to wander I've still got them on the recording and there no danger of feedback when they (inevitably!) stand right in front of a PA speaker column.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, I agree about the sound. My job was to just project the video on the night, but I decided to film the event anyway. I only used the oncamera mic and the venue was very large, so the sound suffers.

Its interesting what youve said about how you would record the sound, and definitely something I would look into next time. Thanks for the feedback.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Trustee

I am relieved to hear that the audio was not off the PA!

However, I would suggest that if you are intending to use this to showcase your work, you might be better cutting it a bit and replacing the speeches audio entirely with (appropriate) music. Normally I take the opposite view, being basically an old f*rt, and think that a good many videos I see would be better off with at least some of the ambient sound and less of the random elevator music. Music can 'make' a video - alas it often breaks it instead, for me at least.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques