New trend in DC area wedding market at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 7th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Major Player

New trend in DC area wedding market

I just flew home from attending a wedding in the DC area. The B&G set out a CD on each place setting for the dinner following the ceremony. The B&G claim that this wedding day CD is all the rage with weddings now in that area.

Here's the twist: the CD is a compilation of the couple's favorite songs with a photo of them on the jacket cover and the jacket liner containing the song titles and the couple's thoughts on why they included that song on 'their special CD'.

I couldn't believe it! I'm lifelong friends with the parents of the bride so I didn't say anything (actually, the swift kick in the shin from my wife when I whispered to her that the CD idea was illegit probably swayed me not to say anything).

Has anyone else seen this happening in your area?
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #2
Wrangler

A friend of mine (20 something marrying a 40 something) gave me a CD like this probably 5 years ago so it can't be all that new of a concept...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

its old hat, and very tacky if you ask me... couples really shouldnt expect that their guests are THAT much into them to have the onus to play a cd from someones wedding which most likely has all those love songs most people cringe at.
On top of that, its a very ostentatious thing to do, and to offer it is not only illegal (unless your licesed for CD Duplication) but also a big waste of time and resources for the couple, due to the fact that it will prolly only be heard by about 2% of the guests... if that..

my 2c
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Wrangler

Actually my friend gave it to me since I wasn't at the wedding. Heh, I just noticed it the other day.... still haven't listened to it ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It maybe new to DC but in the greater Chi-town area they've been doing it for the last 4 or 5 years that I can be sure of and probably longer. Actually, I love it bcecause I get to build my music file for free ;-)

Theres always 1 or 2 left for the folks that didn't show up

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #6
Major Player

I looked over the one my wife opened at the dinner, but she 'accidently' left it on the table when we departed. I put mine in my coat pocket when we first sat down but I'll have to admit, I haven't opened the shrink wrap on mine yet.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I went to a wedding the other day and they had one. I though it was cheezy, but what ever the client wants huh.
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

had to wonder about the CD too. Co-worker came and asked if I would burn some CDs for his wedding. Great guy, so I agreed. He brought the master and FOUR HUNDRED, that's right, 400 blank CDs. Don't know if there were copyright issues or not, the music was all in Creole. Half way through he drops by a photo and asks that I create and print a label for each of the CDs.

I'm sure you can understand why the slogan in our office is: "No good deed goes unpunished."
Bruce Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm surprised they can find a duplication house that will do the disks without a written license from the copyright holders.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Linden
had to wonder about the CD too. Co-worker came and asked if I would burn some CDs for his wedding. Great guy, so I agreed. He brought the master and FOUR HUNDRED, that's right, 400 blank CDs.

I'm sure you can understand why the slogan in our office is: "No good deed goes unpunished."
Hey Bruce,

I learned my lesson a long time ago, I no longer really do 'free' work, ok maybe a little, but 400cds?!. I'd charge him, probably too late now. But if you are stuck with it, atleast put your credits on the front of the disk, i.e. website, company name etc. IMO.
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
I'm surprised they can find a duplication house that will do the disks without a written license from the copyright holders.
Mechanical copyright licenses are not hard to obtain, you can do it online with a credit card. Perhaps the couples that have them professionally duplicated and shrink wrapped are doing it the legal way. Maybe.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Composing the music yourself

My sister is going to create a cd for her wedding favors, however her and her future husband are both music majors and are going to compose the music themselves and also play the music themselves. That I think, is very neat.
Jennifer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
My sister is going to create a cd for her wedding favors, however her and her future husband are both music majors and are going to compose the music themselves and also play the music themselves. That I think, is very neat.
Now that is neat. You ought to tell them that there are alot of videographers always looking for affordable promo demo music.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
Jennifer,

That CD I would take the time to listen to because it really is from them. Great idea. Kinda like a videographer sending out video invitations. Maybe someone has already marketed that too.
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #15
Regular Crew

CDs

As a DC videographer, I can confirm this happens more often than not. But... since I am not providing the CDs myself, I bite my tongue.
Brian Burns is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques