Who here actually uses cranes/jibs for weddings - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
Michael,
That's pretty damn good for no weights and a rapid set-up. What length is the jib? I'm assuming that with no weights that it can't be more than 8'. Nice work.
hey Ken. Thanks. It's 8ft. That's a SDE so I had my editor operate it. He saw the crane for the first time that day.
Attached Thumbnails
Who here actually uses cranes/jibs for weddings-crane-shot.jpg  
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
My first wedding with a crane. It's the Cobra Crane, straight out of the box. No pan/swivel head and no weights. Takes about 30 seconds to set up. Let me know what you think:
Level the jib and camera before shooting...,.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
thanks......
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Warren, I don't mean this as a joke..but where do your brides go on their honeymoon? Here in NJ many of my brides go to Hawaii. I'm curious to where Hawaiin brides go, I'm pretty sure they don't come to New Jersey. ;-)
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #35
Trustee

Hi Mike
Brides here like to go:
1. Neighboring Islands in Hawaii
2. Las Vegas (LV has a nickname of being the 9th Island of Hawaii)
3. Snowboarding in Colorado or Utah
4. Sightseeing in Europe
5. Shopping in NYC or Asia
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #36
Trustee

I saw a bit of American Idol last night, and they were using a jib arm for the auditions. It wasn't set up right. I was shocked to see tilting horizons on national television!
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
I saw a bit of American Idol last night, and they were using a jib arm for the auditions. It wasn't set up right. I was shocked to see tilting horizons on national television!
Many shows go for a deliberately amateurish look (at least I think that it's deliberate:-) in an attempt to appear more 'authentic'. Wobbly handheld shots, bad exposure, white balance & extreme vignetting are all common on TV nowadays.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Many shows go for a deliberately amateurish look (at least I think that it's deliberate:-) in an attempt to appear more 'authentic'. Wobbly handheld shots, bad exposure, white balance & extreme vignetting are all common on TV nowadays.
..or they just use college kids that will work for free so they can add "American Idol" to their resume.
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:06 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Most envision jib shots as beautiful shots of the camera floating effortlessly above crowds of smiling people, like you see in the movies. The reality is that you need good equipment and very well practiced operators. Using a jib at a wedding is much harder than you think. We used to set up a Jimmy Jib 10 years ago, but it required full attention at all times. In the end we scrapped using a jib because 1. It takes time to set up a perfectly level and balanced jib 2. A newbie can't operate a jib with acceptable results because newbies have jerky starts and stops, can't compose a shot precisely, or follow action accurately with the joystick. 3. A jib or crane is seen as a big insurance liability. 4. It's not worth all the hassle unless you're charging an extra $1000 or so for the crew and insurance that's required at the venue.
Spot on Warren totally agree. The thing is on the day all the venue stuff can change. Huge plants on tall stands, some chandeliers, a bar, anything can suddenly turn up that wasn't there before. So just the paranoia of using a crane over a room full of civilians can be awful.
Saying that we have used them but only on large scale Indian weddings with huge budgets. Because there is so much going on, normally in good sized venues you do get good value from the crane as there are often multipul occurrences of dancing, eating and ceremonies.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques