DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Shooting in the dark-- infrared for Receptions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/490040-shooting-dark-infrared-receptions.html)

Scott Brickert January 11th, 2011 09:07 PM

Shooting in the dark-- infrared for Receptions?

The new Canon XA10 captures infrared and has a small infrared lamp built in.

So I'm asking myself...how desperate would I have to be to shoot infrared at a dark Reception?

What are your thoughts...

Chris Harding January 11th, 2011 09:20 PM

Hi Scott

IR footage is monochrome!!! I don't think the bride would be too impressed!!! Just pop an LED light on the camera and the guests will have to live with some on-camera lighting OR turn the houselights up!!!

Chris

Jim Snow January 11th, 2011 10:42 PM

. . . . and it's very poor quality monochrome as well. Peoples' eyes also glow like creatures from a Sci-fi movie.

Jason Ryman January 11th, 2011 10:43 PM

Ghost Adventures Wedding anyone?

George Kilroy January 12th, 2011 03:04 AM

"The Bride Witch Project" maybe.

Philip Howells January 12th, 2011 03:29 AM

Scott, perhaps the camera was designed with a later stage of the event in mind - now that would give a new twist to the term "full coverage".

Chris Harding January 12th, 2011 07:32 AM

Hi Philip

That's if you are presuming that the wedding night takes place in total darkness. I guess that would be classed a full coverage!! Just a quick look back at "Big Brother" TV footage will give you an idea of how low resolution the IR image is....it is pretty hard to even recognise a face !!!! Almost looks like an old photographic negative.

To come to think of it I owned a little Panasonic DS30 camcorder once that boasted IR footage!!

Chris

Philip Howells January 12th, 2011 08:17 AM

Chris, not to go too deep into it but I have to belong to the "we all look beautiful in the dark" school.

Philip Howells January 12th, 2011 08:18 AM

Chris, not to go too deep into it but I have to belong to the "we all look beautiful in the dark" school. Anyway this is way off topic. Sorry folks - and for the double posting.

Chris Harding January 13th, 2011 06:30 AM

Me too Philip

You have to realise that you cannot stay 30 forever!!! Hopefully your huge skills in the wedding industry will ensure that brides choose you for your talent and not your looks.

We certainly go downhill in the "good looks" department don't we...I think I'll also use IR footage to mask my ageing face!!

Chris

Tim Gilbertson January 13th, 2011 10:13 AM

You need to be within a few metres for infrared to work. It basically works the same as an on-camera light, but it's infrared. So you need to be close enough that the infrared light can light up the subject. It looks terrible as well.