Favorite DSLR lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Favorite DSLR lenses

I'm purchasing the new AF100, and am curious as to what your favorite lenses are to use throughout the day.
Primes or zooms? I'm thinking of getting the olympus 35-100 to go along with my 14-35. I'm wondering whether to get the 35-100 or some primes, or different zooms.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Trustee

The 35-100 would be a pretty useful lens, but it's worth a few pennies.

I can't help but think there's got to be a few nice lenses just around the corner. I can't imagine Panasonic would release a camera as good as the AF100 and not put out some perfectly matched glass. I understand that there's plenty of lenses which can be adapted to the AF100 and GH2, and that there's already plenty of glass out there if you know what to look for, but on the other hand I can't see Panasonic not trying to cash in on extra lenses with every AF100 they sell.

For the ceremony, I couldn't live without a good zoom. The rest of the day I can work with primes, but for the cermony I need to be able to reframe quickly without changing lenses. As for my personal favorites, well I tested out a friends 5dmkII on the weekend with a 17-40 and it was awesome. I had it on a glidecam and left it on full wide the whole time - it gives a really amazing perspective which most brides would no doubt be blown away by. That would be about equivelant to a 8mm or 9mm on my GH1, so I think a Samyang 8mm will be heading my way soon.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
For the ceremony, I couldn't live without a good zoom. The rest of the day I can work with primes, but for the cermony I need to be able to reframe quickly without changing lenses. As for my personal favorites, well I tested out a friends 5dmkII on the weekend with a 17-40 and it was awesome. I had it on a glidecam and left it on full wide the whole time - it gives a really amazing perspective which most brides would no doubt be blown away by. That would be about equivelant to a 8mm or 9mm on my GH1, so I think a Samyang 8mm will be heading my way soon.
The Samyang 8mm is a fisheye which may not be the really amazing perspective you are looking for:-) The Panasonic 7-14mm zoom would be a better bet although it needs good light as it is only an F4 lens Its' the equivalent of a 14-28mm zoom on the 5DII. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...-ag-af100.html

Last edited by Nigel Barker; January 16th, 2011 at 11:40 PM.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm aware of the Samyang being a fisheye, but from what I've seen of it the GH1 crops away a lot of the distortion.

Plus I'm from Australia, where the Samyang is $350 and the 7-14mm Panasonic is $2000. Thats nearly 6x as much. If I go the Samyang over the Panasonic, I'd save enough money to get another GH2 kit.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I was looking for more ceremony and reception lenses.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques