Slider style question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 14th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Trustee

Slider style question

I have noticed two ways of handling slider shots when editing. One way includes the slider coming to a stop; the other style cuts before the motion stops. Which do you prefer? I prefer the cut before the motion stops because it give a much more fluid feel. To me, when the clip included the cameras motion coming to a stop, it seems disruptive or out of place.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sliding to a stop can be a tricky proposition. If you're not real smooth, the camera will shake when you stop. If you have a mechanical system, then it's not a problem. If your doing it by hand, it takes practice.
Evan Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I feel this way with just about any camera movement, it most often seems abrupt giving the clip a less than professional feel to it. My last second shooter had a terrible habit of making a bazillion "mini adjustments" while shooting her footage. It wasn't the adjustment that bothered me as much as the "stop" did.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Jim

The old school rules on pans or trucking shoots usually need you to use the shot to lead the viewer to something or someone and then whether you stop abruptly or not isn't an issue. As with pans where the cameraman is just panning the camera "willy nilly" over a specific area and then back again I would say that your tracking shot on the slider must definately go in only one direction and as long as it has a purpose for the viewer and enhances the shot you can either do a stop or simply cut during the motion as long as the reason for the slide has been achieved. Too many people tend to use gear just because they have it so they figure " I bought this slider so I had better use it"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

For us the decision is made when we shoot the shot. There are times we want some motion in a shot and nothing more, and we shoot for that. Other times we are using the slider as a reveal to something specific that the viewer may need to take in for a second or two. In those cases we shoot to the end of the stop and cut it that way too. It all depends on what we're trying to get out of the shot.

That said, I've seen plenty of edits where the editor should have cut while the slider was still moving because A) the slide stop was sloppy or B) there was no point going to the end of the shot ... or C) both of those. d;-)
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Trustee

I know it's not fashionable but then fashion's never been a major concern for me; what looks and feels right is. I still generally transition from motion shots like slides with a short dissolve or mix (same thing, different name). And Chris is right, the slide directions should be the same.

I don't stick rigidly to rules like this but as a rule of thumb they work - and in respect of this specific topic it certainly overcomes the abrupt end stop.

Of course it's easier to judge the slow down rate and position if you have a camera assistant. And they took care of the camera bags, the umbrella, your folding seat and fetched coffee too - those were the days!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques