2011 LED Event Lighting Options? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Major Player

2011 LED Event Lighting Options?

We have talked a lot on here over the years on lighting, and this year there are some new players in the market and looking to get something better than my Sony HVL-LBPA's (I have lost the filters)

I see this Ledzilla mentioned some
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/624598-REG/Dedolight_DLOBMLSH_Ledzilla_Mini_LED_Daylight.html
and also the new LED from LitePanels
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687491-REG/Litepanels_SOLAENG_SolaENG_3_LED_Fresnel.html
Lowel also has a new one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/653888-REG/Lowel_BLN_10_Blender_LED_Fixture_120V_12VDC.html
One thing I really want is a built in filter to convert from 5500k to 3200k

Anyone tested these or others that are new, or even having great luck with something thats been around for a while.

Always looking for something that comes closer to being a one size fits all for under $1000.
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Denny,

This is what I use, I think its awesome.. Comer 1800

http://lacoloronline.com/product/?CM...mera-LED-Light

Even with only 10 LEDs its stinking bright when on full power!
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Grinnell View Post
Hey Denny,

This is what I use, I think its awesome.. Comer 1800

http://lacoloronline.com/product/?CM...mera-LED-Light

Even with only 10 LEDs its stinking bright when on full power!
My only concern is I read that the color temp is not 3200k, would think this would be a problem, I could be wrong.
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah it does have 3200k

here is a quote from the page

"Switchable color temperature at 4500K or 3200K using the built-in filter"
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Oops! Just realized you were listing on camera lighting. But just for an interesting option ill continue writing...I just got a pair of coollights LED 600's (which can accept battery power) to see how they were and I'm impressed so far. Came with a few different filters and a carrying case. Super light (though not light enough for a camera mount but could mount to a tripod with creative grip hardware) and brighter than I had expected. Used them on two shoots last week and they worked out great. I believe they were about 3100k with the 1/2 minus green filter and the resulting video really looked nice. When they are back in stock I will pick up a couple more.
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
Oops! Just realized you were listing on camera lighting. But just for an interesting option ill continue writing...I just got a pair of coollights LED 600's (which can accept battery power) to see how they were and I'm impressed so far. Came with a few different filters and a carrying case. Super light (though not light enough for a camera mount but could mount to a tripod with creative grip hardware) and brighter than I had expected. Used them on two shoots last week and they worked out great. I believe they were about 3100k with the 1/2 minus green filter and the resulting video really looked nice. When they are back in stock I will pick up a couple more.
I am not only interested in on camera lighting, I very seldom use it on camera so interested in all lighting. I will always have an on camera light for emergency but prefer light on a light stand.
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Trustee

Just didnt want to jack a thread :) Definitely check them out. At around $400 it was a no brainer for me. As I mentioned, when they are back in stock I plan to get a few more. Even if you don't use them for primary light, you can hide them easily for fills on a set. Looks like they are going to offer a 1200 version as well!
Cool Lights LED Fixtures - Cool Lights USA
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
I am not only interested in on camera lighting, I very seldom use it on camera so interested in all lighting. I will always have an on camera light for emergency but prefer light on a light stand.
Denny, what do you do if the DJ has a light show all night during the reception? Do you flood out his light show with you light stands or do you just record everyone with pink/blue (whatever color the DJ disco light are) skin tones? I can't see how you can flood out a disco light show that the bride has paid for, so if you don't have an on-camera light, everyone must be pink or blue.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
Denny, what do you do if the DJ has a light show all night during the reception? Do you flood out his light show with you light stands or do you just record everyone with pink/blue (whatever color the DJ disco light are) skin tones? I can't see how you can flood out a disco light show that the bride has paid for, so if you don't have an on-camera light, everyone must be pink or blue.
I personaly prefer the pink and blue faces instead of blinding people with an on-camera light.

However for on camera lights, the best one I've found so far that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is the Z96 LED light. You can find it at around $300 at local stores or at around $60 on ebay HDV-Z96 96 LED Light Fr EOS 5D II 7D 550D Lighting - eBay (item 190447685400 end time Jan-20-11 02:45:06 PST)
It has very nice color (no green cast) it has a dimmer, and it is powerfull enough.

For lights on lightstands if you want domething more powerfull the 500 LED lights look good although I haven't tried them.
This one 500 LED Light Panel LED Video Light Panel Dimmer AC/DC - eBay (item 110637716749 end time Jan-19-11 12:28:06 PST) works with AC or DC and has a dimmer too for $50 more than the older AC only version.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
I set up an LED light on a light stand off to the left side of Cam A, and if I have a cam B running it will be on the Left side of the LED light so one light will light for 2 cams.

It does not drown out the light show, but if a bride hired me to video her reception, I will do my best to get great video. I only use enough power to do the job, the rest of the dance floor is not affected by my lights, only what I am taping.

IMO the DJ's light show is not at the top of the priorities, For just random dancing, I often use only the DJ's lights to show the ambience of the night, but not the important dances like B&G, Father Daughter etc.

I see no advantage to on camera lighting to that same light on a light stand, only disadvantages.
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #11
Major Player

[QUOTE=Spiros Zaharakis;1609027]I personaly prefer the pink and blue faces instead of blinding people with an on-camera light.

However for on camera lights, the best one I've found so far that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is the Z96 LED light. You can find it at around $300

I use a $35 light and it doesn't blind anyone. It's much better than having pink or blue guests.

bescor led-25
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros Zaharakis View Post
I personaly prefer the pink and blue faces instead of blinding people with an on-camera light.

However for on camera lights, the best one I've found so far that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is the Z96 LED light. You can find it at around $300 at local stores or at around $60 on ebay HDV-Z96 96 LED Light Fr EOS 5D II 7D 550D Lighting - eBay (item 190447685400 end time Jan-20-11 02:45:06 PST)
It has very nice color (no green cast) it has a dimmer, and it is powerfull enough.

For lights on lightstands if you want domething more powerfull the 500 LED lights look good although I haven't tried them.
This one 500 LED Light Panel LED Video Light Panel Dimmer AC/DC - eBay (item 110637716749 end time Jan-19-11 12:28:06 PST) works with AC or DC and has a dimmer too for $50 more than the older AC only version.
Quote:
I set up an LED light on a light stand off to the left side of Cam A, and if I have a cam B running it will be on the Left side of the LED light so one light will light for 2 cams.

It does not drown out the light show, but if a bride hired me to video her reception, I will do my best to get great video. I only use enough power to do the job, the rest of the dance floor is not affected by my lights, only what I am taping.

IMO the DJ's light show is not at the top of the priorities, For just random dancing, I often use only the DJ's lights to show the ambience of the night, but not the important dances like B&G, Father Daughter etc.

I see no advantage to on camera lighting to that same light on a light stand, only disadvantages.
I just can't see how a light stand will be able to light up just what you are shooting and not the entire dance floor. I really think you need an on camera light to follow the action. There must be a difference in our style of shooting. Turning on a 500 watt light stand seems to me to be more disruptive to the entire dance floor (heck, the entire room itself) than a 25 watt on camera light that is just pointed at the subject you are directly shooting. For the record, I try not to use a light at all. I only use it when the room is pink/blue.
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

We don't use external lights at the reception at all.

The link for the 500LED light I provided was just because the OP asked for it.

We use Sony Z5 and FX1000 with a Z96 on top just in case but we try not to use it at all. If the ambient light gets too low we will turn it on but we will try to keep it dialed down so not only it doesn't blind anyone but doesn't kill the ambient too.

If there are colored lights at the reception we also turn it on but most of the times it does almost nothing except to the people very close to the camera since these color lights are very often too bright to get overpowered by a small on camera light.

Personaly I prefer not to use the on camera light at all but sometimes there is no other way to take the shot.

With a 7D, a 5D and a Sony SLT A33 as our main cameras for 2011 we will probably leave that LED light in the bag
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
We have talked a lot on here over the years on lighting, and this year there are some new players in the market and looking to get something better than my Sony HVL-LBPA's...
Hi Denny,

It's been interesting to read all of the posts, on cam vs off cam, ruining the ambiance of the room vs. having a decent video...I know that your photography background has taught you more about light than the average videographer. You understand light and you know how unflattering on camera lighting is.

Having said that, sometimes we have no other choice than to use on camera light. It's better than an underexposed image, right.

We use a combination of on camera and off camera lighting. On the dance floor we use two Reception Lights. They are 75 watt lights and you can get the 75watt Bescor lights just about anywhere. What makes them so unique and such a good fit for us is that they run on batteries and the have remotes. Batteries saves us the time of not having to find electricity and then taping down the cords. The remotes are wonderful in that I don't have to be physically close to the light to turn it on. I can be on the other side of the room and turn the lights on.

I have found that two 75 watt lights about 10-15 feet in the air is ideal for adding light to the dance floor without removing the ambiance. I certainly do not want to light up the dance floor like NASA. I just want to add a little light to get a good image. The lights do not wash out the colored lights of the DJ or band.

So not only does off camera lighting make the subject look better, but since the lights are 10-12 feet in the air, they are much less offensive than a 20-50 watt light at eye level...even if the on camera light is diffused.

We use the Comer 1800 for on camera lighting...well to think about it, we also use the Comer 1800 for off camera lighting as well. We just don't place it on 10ft high light stands. I'll use it more on a 5-6 ft light stand when I need to have easy access to turning it on or off.

I have tested many on camera LED lights, and the Comer throws the farthest and widest and is the most versatile LED light I have tried. It comes with a built in CTO gel. In order to use the CTO gel, you just flip down the door. Easy, but it also adds diffusion, which I don't always want. So I ordered a diffusion door from them that only diffuses and does not have a CTO gel. I then cut my own CTO gel and mounted it to the light. That way it is always at 32k and I have the option to add diffusion or not.

I did a Von Real on the Reception Lights. Here are some links.
EventDV-TV

The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME

Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Online
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Major Player

So not only does off camera lighting make the subject look better, but since the lights are 10-12 feet in the air, they are much less offensive than a 20-50 watt light at eye level...even if the on camera light is diffused.

I find that 2 lights, 10-12 feet in the air will definitely ruin the ambiance of a room. Nevermind it's an insurance hazard. Plus, now you are blinding everyone on the dance floor. With an on-cam light, you're only blinding 1 or 2. ;-) Many banquet halls I work in, there is absolutely no room to even think about setting up 2 light stands. Believe me, I do not want to use on-cam lights and I only use them when the DJ is making the room pink/blue (which the bride is paying him for). But for people to say "never" use on-cam light, that is just not feasible at a wedding where you are covering the entire reception.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques