DSLR Weddings at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 141
DSLR Weddings

I'm going to DSLR this year and have two Canon 60D's. For my third camera should I get a conventional video camera like a Canon Vixia HF S20 or another 60D?
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 689
Hi Geoffrey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler View Post
I'm going to DSLR this year and have two Canon 60D's. For my third camera should I get a conventional video camera like a Canon Vixia HF S20 or another 60D?
Do you shoot alone or do you have help? Do you plan on delivering short-form or long-form programs?
__________________
WeddingFilms.com>>
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 522
60D, hands down. The quality will not match and you will notice it and I think your couples will too. We shoot on two 7D's and are getting a third to make our vids that much better.

Down paddle backwards getting a video cam. Embrace the change and go full steam ahead.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Green Bay Wisconsin
Posts: 553
I was thinking the same thing, adding a version of the Panny 700 to GH models. I got one from Amazon, did one test clip of my dining room at nighttime and sent it back the next day. Part of the clip's quality seemed pretty darn close, and then I got to where the cam blew out the white woodwork which was completely unacceptable. If you decide to try the Vixia, get it from somewhere that has a liberal return policy. Try it out on the worst scenario and then see what you think of it.

Last edited by Chip Thome; January 17th, 2011 at 04:04 AM.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
It depends a bit on the product you deliver, but I'm guessing you deliver or have the option to deliver the full ceremony, toasts, etc? If that's the case, then I would make that 3rd camera a continuous-record variation to make your life waaayyy easier. We use one strictly for wide angle shots and cutaways for the documentary edits and it's totally worthwhile. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you won't be able to match the footage to your 60D footage. We match to 7D's all the time and I guarantee you that no bride (or videographer for that matter) would ever know.

Weddings are live, one-shot-to-get it events and it's really useful to have at least one continuous-record camera in operation. Just my opinion.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Posts: 1,200
I also match 5d2 footage with my XLH1 HDV and no couple has noticed. I notice that it's a little softer.

It's so nice to be able to run multiple XLR audio sources in, not have to worry about sync (or pushing record on a separate recorder).
__________________
C100, 5DMk2, FCPX
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Byron Bay, Australia
Posts: 1,142
Geoffrey, a lot depends on how you are shooting, but my advice would be to make sure you have at least one continuously recording camera.

Are you shooting alone or do you have assistants? DSLR's are almost useless as unattended cameras because of the 4bg limit. Normally my wide camera is recording for 12 minutes before the bride even arrives, and it is often in a location that I cannot reach easily or quickly during a ceremony. Even if you have 3 shooters, consider that you'll need to be able to communicate clearly and effectively (but also silently) during the ceremony to make sure you stagger your recordings correctly.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 141
I have one shooting assistant and one assistant who would rather not mess with a camera. My product is short-form, cinema style, but in the past, I've offered to put the whole ceremony (and speeches sometimes) as a menu item on their DVD. Some brides liked to have this option.

I already bought the Canon video camera but was thinking about exchanging it for another 60D body. I was thinking after the ceremony it would be nice to have one body dedicated to the Blackbird steady-cam and that would still leave two cameras to cover the reception.

I don't know. More undecided than ever.
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Red Bank, NJ
Posts: 553
I shoot DSLR all by myself and use 2-3 camera's during the ceremony. I have no problem with the 12 minute limit and don't understand all the hysteria surrounding it.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 689
Hi Travis,

Exactly my opinion. I'm able to match up an Canon HV30 very closely. It actually matches my T2i's better than it matched my XHA1. I don't run it at receptions, but instead as a catch-all angle for the ceremony. I sell a full-doc version so its important to get it all. If I just offered short-form or had an assistant I wouldn't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
It depends a bit on the product you deliver, but I'm guessing you deliver or have the option to deliver the full ceremony, toasts, etc? If that's the case, then I would make that 3rd camera a continuous-record variation to make your life waaayyy easier. We use one strictly for wide angle shots and cutaways for the documentary edits and it's totally worthwhile. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you won't be able to match the footage to your 60D footage. We match to 7D's all the time and I guarantee you that no bride (or videographer for that matter) would ever know.

Weddings are live, one-shot-to-get it events and it's really useful to have at least one continuous-record camera in operation. Just my opinion.
__________________
WeddingFilms.com>>
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 689
Hi Geoffrey,

Three DSLR's is a good option if you want to get moving camera shots during the ceremony. I have an HV30 running on wide, two static T2i with 80-200 2.8 MF lenses that I reposition throughout the ceremony and one T2i that I use for the processional on a monopod, for creative moving shots during the ceremony and a then for a glidecam exit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler View Post
I have one shooting assistant and one assistant who would rather not mess with a camera. My product is short-form, cinema style, but in the past, I've offered to put the whole ceremony (and speeches sometimes) as a menu item on their DVD. Some brides liked to have this option.

I already bought the Canon video camera but was thinking about exchanging it for another 60D body. I was thinking after the ceremony it would be nice to have one body dedicated to the Blackbird steady-cam and that would still leave two cameras to cover the reception.

I don't know. More undecided than ever.
__________________
WeddingFilms.com>>
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
I shoot DSLR all by myself and use 2-3 camera's during the ceremony. I have no problem with the 12 minute limit and don't understand all the hysteria surrounding it.
I'm a fan of your work. Would you mind giving a rough idea how you'd cover a typical 20 min ceremony plus seating of parents and processional?? I'm trying to wrap my head around keeping 3 cameras going plus moving a couple of them.

Thanks!
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Red Bank, NJ
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler View Post
I'm a fan of your work. Would you mind giving a rough idea how you'd cover a typical 20 min ceremony plus seating of parents and processional?? I'm trying to wrap my head around keeping 3 cameras going plus moving a couple of them.

Thanks!
hey Geoffrey. Thanks for the compliment. I have 2 cams locked on tripods and one roaming for slider/reaction shots. No big secrets here..sorry. For a 20 minute ceremony, the B&G pretty much stand in the same place the entire time so a closeups are easy to do from an unmanned tripod shot. Have one center aisle and one locked on the bride. I have more difficulty solo when the ceremony is only a few minutes long. Not enough time to get creative. In my opinion, I find that filming weddings are too much work for one person, but not enough work for 2 people.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #14
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Travis,

Exactly my opinion. I'm able to match up an Canon HV30 very closely. It actually matches my T2i's better than it matched my XHA1. I don't run it at receptions, but instead as a catch-all angle for the ceremony. I sell a full-doc version so its important to get it all. If I just offered short-form or had an assistant I wouldn't need it.
Especially given how cheap you can get a small continuous-record camera for. To me it seems like a no-brainer to have one if you plan on delivering any sort of documentary edits. You probably already know this but you can use compressor in FCS to convert the footage to match the 24p frame-rate of the 7D or T2i. Not sure that everyone does this and that can make the footage look different.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 689
Hey Travis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
...You probably already know this but you can use compressor in FCS to convert the footage to match the 24p frame-rate of the 7D or T2i. Not sure that everyone does this and that can make the footage look different.
I do - mostly because you couldn't use the HV30 clips with the XHA1's footage in a multicam sequence unless the frame rates match up - though the HV30 is shooting 24p its wrapped in a 60i container. The HV40 fixed that.

For a better looking conversion (fewer edge artifacts) I use JES:

Home Page of JES

But the workflow isn't a smooth. Below is a comparison of Compressor (on the left) and JES at 400%.

I also I have a Compressor droplet linked below if anyone needs it - converts 24p/60i to native 24p via Reverse Telecine.

http://tinyurl.com/45akmx3
Attached Thumbnails
DSLR Weddings-riley-reverse-telecine-comparison.jpg  
__________________
WeddingFilms.com>>
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network