DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Reception video/slideshow presentations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/490377-reception-video-slideshow-presentations.html)

Rob Harlan January 19th, 2011 10:35 AM

Reception video/slideshow presentations

These seem fairly common - usually after the speeches when a family member will show a montage of old video/photographs of the couple up on a projector screen.

It seems to natural to film this, but of course filming of TV transmissions/projections doesn't look good when you look at the footage in editing. Perhaps higher shutter speeds will help, but flickering seems inevitable.

Do you film/include these things in your wedding work?

Philip Howells January 19th, 2011 10:50 AM

Rob, when people show slides or montages like you describe as part of their speech and want them included in their video from us, we ask the person who made it for a copy on disk or via email, and put it into a PinP box. Making it smaller helps rescue the quality which, as you say is often dire.

I don't think I'd include someone else's work under other circumstances.

Don Bloom January 19th, 2011 11:20 AM

I used to include them many years ago but about 6 or 7 years ago I stopped. They already have the DVD so why bother, but I do get some reaction shots of the B&G while watching and throw that in. Not all the time it just depends on how I feel about it. Lately I haven't even been doing that. Maybe I''m getting lazy at my old age but since no one has ever questioned it I'll probably continue not to even shoot the reactions any more. Just me.

George Kilroy January 19th, 2011 11:22 AM

I find that these days they are usually "projected" from a laptop. I have a usb flash drive with me and drag a copy onto that. Easy as anything then to either PIP or split-screen in the edit.

Got the wrong gist of this. I was referring to a show during the speeches when there is commentary and reactions. I don't include their stand alone show. The only exception was one last year when it was shown as an intro to the first dance so there was an audience. I filmed the reactions and then split screened it.

Syed Imtiaz January 19th, 2011 03:35 PM

I usually don't record and get the file from B&G to include in the dvd. However last wedding groom asked if I did b/c he wanted audiance reaction (audio file) which I didn't have. He wasn't upset or anything but was wondering if I did. It's hard to record audiance b/c they usually turn the lights very low for projector display. Maybe I'll try to record for audiance and shots here and there..never hurts

Taky Cheung January 24th, 2011 02:42 AM

When a slideshow is played at the reception, I will always have one camera point at the screen and a second one point at the audience. In post, I will make it as Picture-in-Picture. There are lots of fun moments.

Check out this clip

I made this slideshow for the bride and groom who is also good friends of mine. You can hear the live audience laughters and the couple's reaction. It was a surprise of the surprise video. I swap out some of their pictures with the picture of me with the bride. They didn't know about it. Check out their reaction at 6:10. REALLY FUN TO WATCH.