I need help!!! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Well, you can't argue with "success"! I too have a Digital 8 camera if you need the footage dumped, two tapes would be around 8G if memory serves, and would probably fit on one of those USB drives you can pick up for around $15, so now you've got two ways to at least get the footage off the tape if you need it! I'm not "Mac proficient", but files are files anymore...

I think we now understand your excitement (yea!), take a deep breath, slow down and ask questions and you'll be just FINE! Or "DON'T PANIC", if that serves you better!

You're right about needing to get a couple cameras, but to be honest, you can shoestring this and step up later (there's a reason some of us have Digital 8 cameras laying around, and it's not because we'd dream of shooting ANYTHING with them). I'm a big fan of squeezing the most out of inexpensive gear, and advocate that, so you could get some cameras in hand on a small portion of your budget and start shooting with them to get learning (ASAP it would appear!). I'd be able to shoot the projects you're talking about with a pair or three Sony CX550's without any worries (well, maybe the $5K job would be a bit iffy, depending on what the storyboard looks like). Wouldn't be "big budget", but would come out just fine. As long as no one commented on my "little" cameras!

Or even pick up an HDSLR, ASAP, since things are going that way and you probably should have one in your "toolkit" anyway. You mentioned some stills experience, any chance you've got some lenses and stuff that might transition to a HDSLR rig?

Teaming up on projects is a good idea, if you don't yet have access to the "helping hands" and classifieds sections of DVi, shoot Chris a PM and see if he can hook you up (it's usually 30 days or so in, once you've been an active member, but you've already gotten your feet wet and probably could benefit from those).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:43 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Bill, thank you for the offer. When this came about, I asked around to borrow an old cam. No one had one, but plenty of people had the old sony analog 8mm cams, myself included, but they won't transfer the digital 8. So, in my search for cam hunting I landed yet ANOTHER gig. Scored 24 8mm tapes to transfer!!! So, I went ahead and found an old cam for 150 on ebay that was capable of playing digital tapes as well as the 8mm analogs.....guess what? Seems like everyone is interested in video transfer!!! This is hysterical. But, I appreciate your offer!!!

Michael, thanx for the vote of confidence, yet again!!!! I'm thinking I should call my biz (when it actually becomes one) "Crappy Desert Cheeseburgers". I laugh about it, but it is growing on me. I'd go there instead of the places that use words like....oops better not go there, don't want to step on anyone's toes. But it seems all video biz use calming words. Makes sense, but I like the desert cheeseburger better!!! I'll end up with something that makes you want to vomit in your mouth a little...like all the rest. But it certainly sounds fun.

Noel, you SHOULD move here. I need one of the big boys closer!! It appears I am in for a wild ride!!! My little digital 8 came in so I am going to give it a shot with the transfer. I have been eating, sleeping, dreaming, video. It's awful. It's so much fun.
Amanda Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM   #78
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Duncan View Post
Seems like everyone is interested in video transfer!
Here's another "back in the day" story from the 1990's. Just to keep busy, our
studio ran a transfer service, mostly Super 8 film to VHS (and later DVD). After
years and years, I thought we had run through every reel of 16mm, 8mm and
Super 8mm film that could be found between Austin and San Antonio, but it still
kept coming in. To this day, the studio continues to get all manner of transfer
business, from Beta and 3/4" U-matic and Digital 8 and Hi-8 and many other
formats. The cost of entry was relatively low... various decks and projectors were
acquired as we needed them from the yearly auction at SWTSU (now Texas State
University) for next to nothing, and they have paid for themselves many times over.

Indeed, everyone *is* interested in video transfer.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:40 PM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Really? Are you sure? Have you tried any, or done any recent research?

Have you tried any of the Sachtler FSB range, or the Vinten Vision Blue? Both cost around half of $2000, including legs. And pretty fluid. And certainly a lot more fluid than the $200 Chinese effort.

Your statement implies that there are no useful options under $2k, and that Amanda (and anyone else haplessly browsing along here) will assume there's no point going for anything other that a $200 piece of crud.
I never said the Chinese head was better. I said that there are no TRUE fluid heads tripods sub $2k range. Though I see that has changed in the last year. True fluid heads used to only be available for heavy cameras and were unusable for light cameras due to heavy springs and dampening.

Most fluid heads are really a friction/fluid (fluid between plates) head. My point was you don't necessarily need to buy a $700 tripod (ie manfrotto 503 and like, which are friction/fluid head tripods) when starting out as there are less expensive options. Heavy use where high durability is a concern then by all means spend more.

Perhaps there are more options, but I would guess that you are looking at at least $1000+ for a quality tripod with a true fluid head. The FSB line with legs used to be around 2K, at least up here. But we always get ripped off in Canada.

For the record I may be using a "piece of crud" tripod for my camera, but I have used just just about every major line of tripods and heads over the last 9 years for large format cameras and down. For the weight class of an HMC150, I have found the "piece of crud" tripod to work quite well. :)

I was only trying to point out "bang for the buck" rather than scare the crap out of new people by shouting that you must spend a fortune to get started out. There is a number of equipment out there that works quite well at a much lower price point than most "pro" gear, though perhaps not suited for long term heavy duty use. One can always upgrade to more durable gear once one has started to get enough business (and thus more use of such equipment) to warrant the expense.

That being said, there is also a lot of true and utter crap out there. Some of which is not so cheap. Buyer beware. Try out gear if you can. And don't always believe the hype.

Thanks for pointing out that the newer, small, cheaper FSB heads are fluid. I may upgrade to such a kit in the future as I balked in the past at spending $700+ for a friction/fluid head tripod combo. Though I still see the FSB's them being at least $950. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601882-REG/Sachtler_0373_0373_FSB_4_Aluminum_Tripod.html And I am a bit Leary about the FSB4 for anything heavier than a DSLR or HMC40. The FSB 6 looks better but not as inexpensive as BH sell the head alone for $1200.

Last edited by Denny Lajeunesse; February 1st, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I think that it was Chris who put me on to the Weifeng tripods but they are really amazing value. They are of course not quite as good as a $1K or $2K tripod but may be plenty good enough & it does mean that you can afford to have multiple cameras each sitting on a half-way decent tripod. The are sold under other names too. These are branded 'Fancier' Fancier WF-717 Pro Video Camera Tripod with Fluid Head on eBay (end time 07-Feb-11 12:37:00 GMT)
That is pretty much the tripod/head I am using for my HMC150.
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Hey, I picked up an old Focal brand on eBay that actually has a pretty decent head on it - oozes grease a bit, but it's got a nice smooth and controllable action to it... way better'n the heads on my other "cheap piece o' crud" tripods (they are locked down and only need to keep the cams up in the air, as high as may be needed (they are TALL, I'll give them that).

Amanda - how about "desert paradise cheeseburger productions"? I'm surprised the rest of the gang hasn't chimed in yet, do you feel part of the crew now?!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:02 AM   #82
Major Player

Too bad "Fluffy Bunny Productions" is taken... (by a production company with what might be the worlds worst website). :D
Fluffy Bunny Productions on Myspace Films - New Films & Documentaries
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:05 AM   #83
Regular Crew

good luck from Saint Louis

Amanda,

I am from your area and sounds like you can really grow yourself in Mt. Vernon. Actually I guess you would be competition. Wedding films is such an untapped market ready to explode. If I could offer any advice I would get the dslr. If you are low on funds then start with a canon 60d and maybe a rebel t2i, otherwise get a 60d and a 7d. For women they are great. Small form factor and you can be mobile....which is key for live events. Buy a few lenses. A wide and angle and a telephoto. At least start with one...possible two lapel mics if you can afford it. It will make or break your ceremony edit if you don't have good audio. Zoom h4n and a manfrotto 561 bhdv. Purchase a used tripod and spend more later on a better one. since you purchased a hmc150 you can use it for the ceremony to catch scenes that your dslr's didn't get(during stop/record or moving to compose a different shot).

By the way. My wife started this business and women definitely have advantage over men in the videography business in my opinion(relate with the bride, gives bride comfort, and be able to be in the room when they are getting there dress on, are usually better at storytelling in editing). You definitely need to be technically savvy when you start diving in (or at least have the drive to spend endless hours learning through the web from sites like these) and you will make some financial mistakes. But most successful videographers in my opinion know how to tell a story and that weighs heavier than having all of the best equipment. Anyway...good luck

Home | sweetTea Media | Capturing the motion of life...
Joshua Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM   #84
Regular Crew

I am thinking maybe "Crappy Desert Cheeseburger- A serene, serendipitous dream, dipped in moments and etched in a lifetime". LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I will be sending my business cards out when I actually HAVE a business!!!!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:50 PM   #85
Obstreperous Rex

Just make it "Desert Cheeseburger." That's all you need. It'll be quite an in-joke, and a conversation starter.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Oh Chris, did you think I was serious with all that word vomit?? Funny. But I really am considering Desert Cheeseburger. It's so not wedding but it's catchy the more I laugh about it. And, I can't say that I have EVER done anything that made a whole bunch of sense!! And...that part of my personality has actually served me well. I can't focus on anything else. I am totally emersed in the forum, tutorials, books, internet based everything. I am sponging up everything that I can. My husband and haven't had a conversation outside of video for a loooonnnngggg time. We are both really excited. I am taking in everything and I so appreciate all the private emails and suggestions. I'm will be doing my purchasing soon.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:54 AM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Just make it "Desert Cheeseburger." That's all you need. It'll be quite an in-joke, and a conversation starter.
Quote:
I am thinking maybe "Crappy Desert Cheeseburger- A serene, serendipitous dream, dipped in moments and etched in a lifetime". LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I will be sending my business cards out when I actually HAVE a business!!!!
Quote:
Oh Chris, did you think I was serious with all that word vomit?? Funny. But I really am considering Desert Cheeseburger. It's so not wedding but it's catchy the more I laugh about it. And, I can't say that I have EVER done anything that made a whole bunch of sense!! And...that part of my personality has actually served me well. I can't focus on anything else. I am totally emersed in the forum, tutorials, books, internet based everything. I am sponging up everything that I can. My husband and haven't had a conversation outside of video for a loooonnnngggg time. We are both really excited. I am taking in everything and I so appreciate all the private emails and suggestions. I'm will be doing my purchasing soon.
I want residuals on the "Desert Cheeseburger" name!! But i do think the cheese should be an "option" you sell to the brides.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques