DVD Duplicator at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Duplicator

Does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD duplicator? Right now I'm burning all my discs on my iMac, but I'm starting to get larger runs for live events (plays, graduations, etc) and it takes too long to burn all these discs (plus I can't imagine it being that great on the computer to burn through 100 copies of something).

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This is the one I use Jeremy, and it has never failed me.

ProCon PC-D-RHD6250 CD and DVD Duplicators | ProCon 6 Writer DVD/CD Duplicator Tower with Removable 250GB Hard Drive
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you need to burn and print. This is a good one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671322-REG/Microboards_G3P_1000_G3_Disc_Publisher_DVD.html
Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
If you need to burn and print. This is a good one.

Microboards G3 Disc Publisher DVD Burning and G3P-1000 B&H Photo

Ben
Ben, the Microboards works ok for you? I have the G2 and it always jams. I have to feed it one by one. I definitely do not recommend the Microboards.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I got a duplicator and printer from Discmakers. The duplicator is the Reflex 7 and printer is Primera Bravo II. Both are great.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
Ben, the Microboards works ok for you? I have the G2 and it always jams. I have to feed it one by one. I definitely do not recommend the Microboards.
If the feeder mechanism is adjusted properly and it still jams, the problem is almost certainly a weak singulator spring. The spring is inside the singulator mechanism and it's what causes the silver ring to return to the home position after it releases a disc. You can check this by pushing the silver collar back by hand (it's the part that moves). It should spring all the way back when you release it. If it's mushy or the collar doesn't fully return, the spring is bad.

Get the dealer you bought it from to order a spring and also get the replacement instructions from Microboards. It isn't difficult to replace if you have the instructions.

I used to be a Microboard's dealer. This isn't something I'm just taking a guess at. I have replaced quite a few of these springs. Because of the problems with this spring, Microboards has a redesigned Singulator in newer models.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Trustee

Jeremy, my choice is a box with a power supply, a Wytron controller sold under many names around the world and a handful of burners. Half an hour with a screwdriver and you have a great duplicator which burns and compares each copy independently (but simultaneously). Best of all, it doesn't need a computer.

Perceived wisdom says all burners should be the same model and firmware but we recently replaced two of our seven burners with later models from the same company (Samsung).

Disk printing is a pain however it's done. For simplicity I'd use waterproof JVC (formerly Taiyo Udens) and the cheapest Epson face printer.

For our demo blanks we do a deal with a duplicating house and buy them by the 1000, printed and sealed (and beautiful). The use banks of Epsons churning out the faces which are then sealed in an industrial unit. Useful note: our house has found that stored long term the sealer can affect the burning surface so they deliver in stacks of 50/100 with disks loaded face to face.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
Yes, I have the G2 as well and I agree it sux at loading, but they redesigned the load port on the G3.

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Major Player

ProDuplicator.com - DVD Duplicator, Disc Publisher, CD Duplicator, DVD Printer

I have a single disc burner from here. Works fast, easy to load. I don't do a whole lot of duplicating though so I only use it now & then.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Regular Crew

re: CD/DVD Duplicator

I bought this one and use it often. Works great for the money.

SuperMediaStore 1 to 5 DVD Duplicator (Economic Line) built-in Sony 20X Burner, Black Casing - Retail | SuperMediaStore.com

Steve
Steve Loeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Jeremy Phil brings up a good point. The Pro-Con I use is a stand alone unit, no computer is needed. You can either use bay #1 for your master and copy 5 at a time, or you can use bay #1 to load the disk into the removable hard drive and then copy 6 at a time.
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Regular Crew

edited [keeping my not-so-secrets]
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
If the feeder mechanism is adjusted properly and it still jams, the problem is almost certainly a weak singulator spring. The spring is inside the singulator mechanism and it's what causes the silver ring to return to the home position after it releases a disc. You can check this by pushing the silver collar back by hand (it's the part that moves). It should spring all the way back when you release it. If it's mushy or the collar doesn't fully return, the spring is bad.

Get the dealer you bought it from to order a spring and also get the replacement instructions from Microboards. It isn't difficult to replace if you have the instructions.

I used to be a Microboard's dealer. This isn't something I'm just taking a guess at. I have replaced quite a few of these springs. Because of the problems with this spring, Microboards has a redesigned Singulator in newer models.
thanks Jim. If you ask me, they should have had a recall then. This machine wasn't cheap and it's never worked real well since Day 1.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Duplicator

Hi Jeremy,
This is the one I use:
SuperMediaStore 1 to 3 DVD Duplicator (Economic Line) built-in Sony 20X Burner, Black Casing - Retail | SuperMediaStore.com

Granted it only duplicates, but it has worked very well so far.

Jim B
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Trustee

Get one that duplicates and prints unattended. You can find used Primera Bravo duplicators on eBay for $400 or less if you want to go that route. Five years ago I bought a giant battleship of a duplicator (capable of 500 copies per day) but that's serious overkill now. I mostly use it for 1 to 10 copies. I farm out larger orders to a real duplication house because it's much more affordable.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques