SDE workflow, Final Cut, 7D cams - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
Secondly, for a SDE I would very much recommend dropping the USB card readers and picking up a Firewire card reader.
Yeah, I abandon the USB reader concept. But for your edification, the express card to CF reader is faster than firewire.

Quote:
As I'm going through the bride prep card I'm literally simply transcoding 3 or 4 seconds from 7 or 8 clips. Since I know what I'm looking for, when everything is transcoded it's just a matter of dragging everything to the timeline and re-ordering.
Question: for final output to projector, do you play the pro-res file? Because the data rate is so high with pro res I would be worried about playback. The larger the bitrate, the harder it is for the hard drive to keep up.

I've tested my own method for playback. Mini-display port to HDMI converter cable, use projector as 2nd monitor, and view full screen. I don't think I can get away with playing a monster pro-res file, though I haven't tested yet.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #17
Major Player

I know the title specifically mentioned an FCP workflow. But given your parameters, the 7Ds and H.264 are given, maybe try Premiere CS5 for a spin?

I'm quite successful with editing the MOV files from dslr using CS5 on 2.66 i7 MBP. I can even put in Mojo, which adds approximately 15 minutes to render.

I export to the Vimeo HD preset and play via the DVI out.

I just recently upgraded to an SSD drive and the cost is truly worth it with the speed gained and stress lessened.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
Question: for final output to projector, do you play the pro-res file? Because the data rate is so high with pro res I would be worried about playback. The larger the bitrate, the harder it is for the hard drive to keep up.
Nope, I too would be worried about playing back a ProRes file. I export using Compressor and the Apple TV codec
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
I know the title specifically mentioned an FCP workflow. But given your parameters, the 7Ds and H.264 are given, maybe try Premiere CS5 for a spin?
It's logical. I bought CS4 last year (to author Bluray) and set out with the intent to switch to Premier then. I was quickly frustrated with Premier's Multi-clip editing (very laggy performance and lots of commands). Yuk. I gained perspective that day, for all the short-comings of Final Cut, the Multicam editing isn't one of them. Since I do so much multiclip stuff, just couldn't let go of Final Cut.

Quote:
I'm quite successful with editing the MOV files from dslr using CS5 on 2.66 i7 MBP. I can even put in Mojo, which adds approximately 15 minutes to render.
I have two feelings at the same time, I'm jealous, and I'm angry at Apple for not supporting their pros.

Quote:
I just recently upgraded to an SSD drive and the cost is truly worth it with the speed gained and stress lessened.
Awesome idea. I will upgrade mine to gain some speed.
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Nope, I too would be worried about playing back a ProRes file. I export using Compressor and the Apple TV codec
With 1920x1080 output from my projector, I want the presentation to scream HD (as well as it can with a projector). The Apple TV codec is 720p and some fairly aggressive compression to accommodate LAN streaming.
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
I would also recommend that you use the log and transfer tool. It is a very powerful tool that will save you a lot of time.

I connect the card, open up Log & Transfer, and pick the clips I want to import.
Thanks Matthew, but what am I missing? I just tested this and I can't get Log and Transfer to mount a CF card or folder in the CF card.

I get this error message "Warning [my CF card] contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches the supported media."

UPDATE: ok i see I need a plugin

UPDATE 2: The plugin works well. It transcodes much faster than I thought. I think this workflow is gonna work! I think I just need to explore some export options. My thought was to write the finished file to an SxS card plugged into an Express Card slot which would be faster read than any external drive.

Last edited by Craig Terott; February 10th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Just to chime in: my 2008 MBP Intel Duo 2.4 with 4 gigs has a very hard time with 7D footage (I usually render to offline RT, then re-reference the files on final render) but my new 27" iMac quad i7 has no problem with only 4 gigs.

The MBP lags just playing the files in QT or QuickView.
Tim Gilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #23
Major Player

I have the newest MacBook Pro i7.

The fastest connection on this is the Firewire 800. I would think this is the best way to connect my CF cards?

How about playing on a projector. Which connection will I use? The mini display port?

Will audio go through this connection too?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
With 1920x1080 output from my projector, I want the presentation to scream HD
Just out of curiosity, which projector are you using? Most can't output 1920x1080. As a sidenote, I once did a side by side test, HD vs SD. Standing 3 feet away from the screen, there was a huge difference between HD and SD, you could see the pixels. 50 feet away from the screen, where most of the audience sits, there was no difference to the eye!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
I have the newest MacBook Pro i7.

How about playing on a projector. Which connection will I use? The mini display port?

Will audio go through this connection too?
Get the Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter. The newest MBP i7s have audio running through their ?minidisplay/HDMI output; early models do not.
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Just out of curiosity, which projector are you using? Most can't output 1920x1080.
Mine outputs 1920x1080
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kopec View Post
Get the Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter. The newest MBP i7s have audio running through their ?minidisplay/HDMI output; early models do not.
Yes, MiniDisplay to HDMI adaptor. Works great. Audio out from headphone jack, to DJ.
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
50 feet away from the screen, where most of the audience sits, there was no difference to the eye!
Ok I haven't tested 50 feet away. I've tested 20-25 feet away by changing the output res. The difference is like night and day. The SD looks like a steaming pile of Dog@#+ compared to full HD. There's no question, one looks better than the other.
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #29
Major Player

Help!!

The projector has VGA and RCA for audio.

What would you use?

I'd like to do Mini Display to VGA, but will audio go through it?

If not what audio cable would you use?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Help!!

The projector has VGA and RCA for audio.

What would you use?

I'd like to do Mini Display to VGA, but will audio go through it?

If not what audio cable would you use?
The only thing you can do is go VGA for video, and 1/8 to RCA for audio.
If you needed to go long distances, you might need a more complicated approach(Headphone--> 1/4-->DI box--> to XLR--> DI -->headphone--> RCA, or something like that) but its most likely not worth it and needed unless really long distances...
John Kopec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques