Weight of a Wedding Business Name at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Weight of a Wedding Business Name

I wanted to check with fellow wedding videographers because lately I have been internally debating this question.

How much weight does a wedding business name carry? Do you feel brides either get tuned in or cut off by certain business names? Do you feel your business name could make or break the number and quality of brides? Or, do you feel that regardless of your business name, it can succeed just on shear customer service and quality samples (granted its not offensive or outlandish)?

Thanks in advance for your input and I am interested in seeing your replies.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Here in maine there are quite a few business names that sound silly to me, and just hearing them sounds low end in my opinion. But if your asking if it has to be wedding related in terms of your name, my answer is no. My company name is Media Northeast, and we do a ton of weddings and a lot of corporate stuff, and other web commercial shoots. Pick a good solid name you can brand, not just aim at "Josh Swan wedding videography" or something like that. For some reason that screams 80's or 90's to me.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Jeff,

It is an interesting topic.

In my case, I use a separate names and websites for wedding work than I do for my corporate/other stuff. I just find it easier to manage that way.

I think your work makes your brand. Santo in Aus has 'Paper Cranes', Danny in the UK has 'Minty Slippers'. Those biz names work (IMO) because they are distinctive and the work they produce speaks for itself. They are not necessarily descriptive of what they do, but to me their names are synonymous with superlative work.

Who would call their company Ebay or Google? They've both done ok though.

BTW, I think Media Brewer is a good name as it plays on your name, and is general enough to work for both weddings and corporate.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Major Player

When I started doing video work it was shooting bar bands for promo videos. The name I settled on then, came from a phrase I used, and is RealDangerous.Com.

Now RealDangerous works great when talking to aspiring rock stars, but when I was asked to quote a corporate job, the name brought a "tainted" reaction from the person I was to be talking with.

There's nothing "wrong" with MediaBrewer" but IMO it sounds rather "corporatey". If I were to make any branding suggestions it would be to do as Ken does, multiple sites, stressing the various markets you want to hit. Maybe something like "Greensboro Premiere Wedding Films by MediaBrewer" and then leave the MediaBrewer site for everything else.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Interesting topic indeed. Although there are really cool business names like Minty Slippers (really like that), there are some videographers who just goes by their name. Ray Roman, Jason Magbanua. I guess the drawback for having your name as your business name is that you can't double book, it does not make sense for Uncle Joe shooting as Ray Roman or Jmags.

In my opinion, and as a personal preference I would go with a catchy Business name. There's a company here that goes by The Wedding Story Teller, very catchy name.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I would say your business name carries huge importance. It's the keystone of your brand and likely the first thing most brides will ever see of you. It shouldn't, but it always surprises me how excited some of our brides are about our name. It's just one more thing you can use to connect emotionally with your couples. For us, the name also has special meaning on a personal level, and sometimes we get to share that with our couples and that makes even more of an impact.

That said, a name isn't everything. If you have a great name but a really weak brand or really weak work, then the impact of your name will be minimal. By the way, you can still double-book if you use your own name. Jmag has other teams that shoot for him all the time. He doesn't even edit much anymore because he has editors that do it. But he stills provides the creative guidance for his crews.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Major Player

I think as long as it's relatively related & professional it would suffice. Good work & references can fill in the rest. As long as it's not totally personal preference like Top Dawgs Elite or Full House Poker or something off base where others wouldn't get it, and might become turned off. Not to get into details, but 2nd shot for someone once who's company name had to do with being sure to "wipe" cleanly basically. Funny too, because he's kinda talking with me, and giving me feedback & criticism on what I'm planning, and I'm thinking to myself 'buddy, you might wanna change you freaking name!!'.

FWIW, I think I'd like BrewerMedia more than MediaBrewer, but could just be me.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
Who would call their company Ebay
Nobody. However, they would call it eBay. :)

I think a name is important and you need to run it by several disinterested parties (such as this or another message board.) Don't ask your friends/family because they'll just be nice and say it's a good name, when it may not be.

Finding a name that has wide appeal can be tough. "Minty Slippers" is a cool name and works well with wedding video, but I think corporate types might think it odd. As mentioned, "RealDangerous" may not translate well into the world of weddings.

I've noticed that some of the cheap wedding video company names just sound dumb and cheesy to me. None on this board, but typically the smaller $500 per wedding types. I guess if they're not creative enough to get more than $500, they're not creative enough to come up with a memorable name. I'd mention a few, but I'm afraid they'd eventually be found on a google search.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Great discussion and comments. Knew I could depend on the community to provide some input. When I first named and created my business it was with the intention of shooting videos for events and corporate and absolutely no weddings. But hey, I shot a few and fell in love with the work. So, I am wanting to branch out into something that looks and feels much more related to weddings.

I of course would retain the current company but have a sister company that is wedding related. I know that has been mentioned several times and I do think it is the best option. That way any current equity in my name can easily be transferred to another name. Still on the hunt for something that I really like, but wanted to get some opinions before making such a large change.

If you did undergo a name change, what part of the year would be the best?
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brewer View Post
If you did undergo a name change, what part of the year would be the best?
It depends, how drastic a change will it be ??? Will the sister company ditch the MediaBrewer name completely ??? Or will it be the "blah blah blah productions from/by MediaBrewer" ???

Another off the subject thing to check out, any license/ tax ID issues because of the change??? Can you switch without carrying a complete new business license/tax ID ???

The more drastic the change the longer it will be to transition those who know or have heard of you to the new name/site/referrals. For that reason alone, I would use "by/from MediaBrewer" for now and if you wish at a later date, drop that when the public has transitioned to the new name.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #11
Trustee

Jeff, this is a topic that goes to the heart of any business.

I believe that more than relevance to the business of the business, the name needs to be relevant to the size and nature of the business.

By that I mean "Jeff Brewer Films" sounds as if the business features your personal expertise, style, experience and input whereas "Big Time Films" has a more "corporate" ring to it. If you aspire one day to a corporate structure then I'd go for the corporate name today - even Brewer Films. If you hope always to be a craft based business with strong personal involvement, then I'd recommend "Jeff Brewer Films".

The exceptions, oddball names like Amazon (for a book seller) etc, may work but only as corporate type names. They don't conjure up a person or even a personality. They will typically also cost more to establish - look at the fortune it took in TV advertising for Amazon - part of which was to establish what the company [I]wasn't [/I ]ie a South American River Touring company or a modern day version of a female tribe allegedly given to self-harming.

Finally, remember the importance today of a domain name. If you expect or intend that most people will reach your site by typing in the domain name, the fewer letters the better; it's easier to remember and less difficult to mistype. If you expect or intend people to mainly reach your site by click through then it matters less but not for nothing are most if not all two and three letter domain names taken in most areas.

Last edited by Philip Howells; February 4th, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Another thing that I have been taking into account when researching new names is the current competition in Google and other search engines. Some names or titles already have high rankings in google simply because they are common words or maybe even have a movie named the same, so of course imdb is going to whip you in rankings.

Just another tid bit that makes it more difficult to finding the perfect name.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Trustee

If you're looking for Google hits, you can always choose a few domains that match likely search terms. For example, people you may want to reach might google "Greensboro wedding video". You don't necessarily have to name your company "Greensboro Wedding Video", but it wouldn't hurt to register "greensboroweddingvideo.com" as one of your domains. Having the search terms in your URL definitely puts you higher in the search results.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi all!.

I have been very successful with sticking with my name for the business.

Too successful.

Just after my tenth year, I sorta wanted to get more passive income by creating a more "sellable" second team with a "company" name.

I am in the midst of that process. And it's testing how good of a marketer I really am.

I will put out full page ads in lieu of mine. 3x this year. Join around four fairs this year. And put up a separate blog for it. Initially, there will be {a jasonmagbanua studio} attached to it but as it grows, hopefully, I will disassociate from it.

It has a separate phone number.

I will give the shooters/editors at least 50% more what they are earning with me. They will meet with clients not me.

I want them to grow the brand.

Let's see what happens. The launch happens on march.

{I realized this was not really answering the original question. In my opinion, the name is secondary to the work. It is ancillary that the succesful ones have good company names. In any case, I think good is subjective anyway. Case in point, I don't regard my name as nice sounding. It doesn't roll out the tongue smoothly. Even here in the Philippines, it doesn't sound nice and bound for mispronunciation. Foreigners have battered it to death. But it has persevered and caught on and here to stay. Pick a non-horrible name and go do great work )

Last edited by Jason Magbanua; February 6th, 2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: addendum
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
By that I mean "Jeff Brewer Films" sounds as if the business features your personal expertise, style, experience and input whereas "Big Time Films" has a more "corporate" ring to it. If you aspire one day to a corporate structure then I'd go for the corporate name today - even Brewer Films. If you hope always to be a craft based business with strong personal involvement, then I'd recommend "Jeff Brewer Films".
By that rationale Warner Brothers might want to consider re-branding:-)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques