If you only... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 5th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Before you just dive in . . .

Rent . . . shoot tons of stuff for free . . . edit tons of stuff . . . burn discs, do lots of testing. **Experience** different kinds of cameras, mics, lights, software, etc . . . you can't just dive in. Well, you can, but it's just going to hurt.

People posting their wish lists won't do much for you.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post

Now I would set those up as one GH2 on a tripod on each side with a 14-140 on each.
This is fine for outdoors ceremonies but indoors the 14-140 is way too slow.

You will need something faster there.

The Vivitar 70-210 2.8-4 or an even faster 100mm f2.5 prime could be a nice low cost option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
The 20mm Pancakes, those are for the low light reception.
I believe that you will also need something wider than that so I suggest that you also get a 14 f2.5 for your low light shots.

And of course I would definately add a low cost 50 f1.4 FD lens to that setup
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros Zaharakis View Post
And of course I would definately add a low cost 50 f1.4 FD lens to that setup
I'm using a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 on my GH1, and while I wish it were a wee bit wider, it's working great. Got it used for under $50, and the adapter was $25. A tripod/monopod/stabilizer is a MUST though. All my handheld stuff is annoyingly jittery, no matter how still I think I'm holding it.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #19
Trustee

Ten grand is a whole lot of money, especially if you already have the computer. I started this business five years ago with a lot less than $10k.

I don't know how much memory or what processor you have in your iMac, but ignore the naysayers telling you it's not good enough. It's what you have and you'll do fine with it.

I'd mostly agree with Chip. Buy used when possible and take a serious look at the Panasonic GH2. It's better all around than what Canon is offering right now.

However, I'd be sure to get at least one "real" camcorder style camera. Something like a Panasonic HMC-40. There will be sometimes when you'll want power zoom, "real" mic inputs, and the camcorder form factor. I use a JVC HD100 for stuff like that.

Make sure you get a decent tripod. A $300-$500 Bogen is the minimum I'd consider. Don't try to do this with a $50 Wal-Mart tripod. Also don't skimp on a wireless mic if you go that route. There are plenty of $150 sets and they all suck. I use a Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series which is nice and will run you about $500+

Software: if you haven't started with anything yet, I'd get Adobe CS5 Production Premium. It'll run $1700 but I think it's better than FCP. If you're already used to FCP, then stick with that. If you're really looking to save money, you can do an acceptable job with Adobe Premiere Essentials or Final Cut Express (both are the home versions of their big brothers.)
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I think you might mean Adobe Premiere Elements, which is the consumer version. A middle road would be to get Premiere Pro CS5 alone, without all those other apps like Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects and the like, for about $800. It includes Encore and OnLocation.

Whatever software you choose, go to the manufacturer's website, read the system requirements, and take them seriously.
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
Ten grand is a whole lot of money, especially if you already have the computer. I started this business five years ago with a lot less than $10k.
Agreed. Ten grand IS a lot of money, especially if you decide this isn't for you. And I would be wary to spend all that money at once.
I know for myself, every purchase I made influenced my next one. My wish list a year ago looks a lot different then what I have right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
The 60D is much better than the 7D, the swivel screen on the 60D is invaluable for video and the 7D overheats like its on fire - not trust worthy for weddings
Nicholas, could you elaborate? Besides the swivel screen, how is the 60d better than the 7d? Does it really not overheat like the 7d?
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Oddly, as I'm sure Amanda has already realized, we're all "beating around" the same bush (or was it a dead horse?!).

She can piecemeal the rig together as she goes and stretch the $$, but we all are saying:
Monopod (561 most likely)
Tripod
One video cam, maybe two if they are smaller - CX550, the new Canon looks quite nice, etc.
One HDSLR (GH2 looks good, I'll be exerimenting with an a33 with the potential overheat issues shortly, wish me luck!)
A GOOD wireless, or for less $, several digital recorders, with mics.
Some sort of auxiliary light for when its' needed
Extra batteries, memory, etc for the cameras
A good case or bag to drag it around in.

Computer upgrades if needed to process AVCHD/tapeless workflow/storage.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kopec View Post
Agreed. Ten grand IS a lot of money, especially if you decide this isn't for you. And I would be wary to spend all that money at once.
I know for myself, every purchase I made influenced my next one. My wish list a year ago looks a lot different then what I have right now.

Nicholas, could you elaborate? Besides the swivel screen, how is the 60d better than the 7d? Does it really not overheat like the 7d?
The swivel screen alone is the main reason to go with the 60D over the 7D. I hardly use my 7D anymore..the 60D is my main cam. Just the shot of the bride putting on her shoes is so much easier because of the swivel screen. You can place the camera on the floor, flip up the viewfinder and find your focus. With the 7D, you'd have to lay on your belly to see the viewfinder to get focus.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kopec View Post
What Michael said plus that the 60D doesn't overheat, has manual audio controls, and does everything else the 7D does, cheaper.

The only thing you won't find on the 60D is the full HD out on the HDMI which may be important if you plan on adding an external HD monitor, but that's about it.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #25
Regular Crew

A few made comment that this was a similiar question to the one I asked before. when one of you says get thiis, and another says you don't want that because of this....what happens through your debating is. That I get a perspective that you can't find in a book or online review. The more you debate, the more informed I get. Ultimately I will buy what I buy and when it is the right time to buy it. But having the best info is what I get out of this. I've made two threads only. Those two threads have generated enough debate that I have had days of researching and reading on products I hadn't considered. I love every idea here. I am thankful. And I will "shoot shoot shoot" when I have something to shoot with. I promise.
Amanda Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #26
Inner Circle

As much as starting with a "clean slate" is probably immensely frustrating, it carries with it the advantage of not being tied to any "legacy" equipment - 'cept maybe those Nikon lenses.

I know I'd be very tempted by both the Canon XA10 (I think that's the model of their latest video camera), and the GH2, Panasonic makes some nice stuff... Sony has cool new toys too, many of which can use things I've already got, so they get a slight advantage...

I was going to make an observation about the "speed of change" in the various sectors of the marketplace - this might help you better choose as you realize how "fast" each area changes in relative terms...

Support gear (tripods/monopods/etc.) - change fairly slowly, thus not too likely to be obsolete the day after purchase. Not going to be lots of change/improvements, and few "revolutionary" products.

Audio - again relatively stable, so whatever you buy will likely be at least "good 'nuf" for a while. Not going to be revolutionary changes here either...

Cameras - "pro" stuff tends to be a little slower than consumer gear - maybe a 2-5 year "cycle", as opposed to a one year product cycle (thus why sometimes consumer toys lap the "pro" gear on features!). This is the area that's prone to more rapid changes - things like the HDSLR wave, the tapeless wave, the higher resolution and improved performance race, etc. etc.

It might help to realize those relative rates of change as you make your decisions - you might well choose a camera THIS year, only to have a significantly better imager/lens/workflow emerge next year...

I "early adopted" HDV as the improvement was significant, took a little longer to realize the advantages of tapeless, and I'm finally getting a HDSLT to experiment with a bit more seriously... I find I change cameras fairly regularly, the other gear not so much, and computers when it's just to slow to edit effectively the latest/current format...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
Rent . . . shoot tons of stuff for free . . . edit tons of stuff . . . burn discs, do lots of testing. **Experience** different kinds of cameras, mics, lights, software, etc . . . you can't just dive in. Well, you can, but it's just going to hurt.

People posting their wish lists won't do much for you.
Absolutely right - to which I'd add the one thing I've not seen anyone mention is the bitrate at which the cameras they recommend actually record. The criteria for being able to stick HD on the side of a camera make a nonsense of the term.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #28
Major Player

This seems insteresting :) .. Well, If I only have $10000:

3x Canon 550D body ~ $1900
6 x 16GB memory card ~ $900
6 x Generic brand batteries/chargers ~ $70
1 x Firewire Card Reader ~ $100
1 x Sigma 30mm f1.4 ~ $350
1 x Canon 85mm f1.8 ~ $350
1 x Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC ~ $450
1 x Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 ~ $850
2 x Fluid Monopod ~ $700
2 x 190XPROB Tripod + 501HDV Head ~ $700
2 x RODE Videomic ~ $250
2 x Olympus ME-15 mic ~ $90
3 x Voice Recorders ~ $450
1 x Glidecam 2000HD + QR plate ~ $700
1 x IGUS Slider ~ $300
1 x Final Cut Suite ~ $1000
1 x EPSON printer ~ $300
2 x 126 LED lights ~ $100
2 x light stands ~ $40
rechargeable batteries ~ $150
Adobe Photoshop CS5 ~ $700

That's a total of $10450.. a bit over but I'm over estimating on some of them and not all of them are required at once anyway. I can start with the essentials and add some more with some secondhand stocks..

But that's just me with my style of shooting and editing.. Different people will obviously have different approach to it
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Duncan View Post
If you only had ten thousand dollars to spend on your video biz....what would you buy...very specific. The only thing that you have in your vid room is a brand new Imac computer. You have ten grand to spend....go for it. Thanx guys...trying to look at the budget and make sure I get what I can get for the money that I have. I would just like to see what you would spend it on and how. Do not add anything related to marketing costs....that's a seperate budget. So ten grand in equipment.
I'll preface this by stating I do not do wedding shoots so I may have a different perspective but a business is a business. And there are two distinct aspects to any business. There is the trade and there is running the business. Amanda, I know you said to not consider marketing costs because you've got that under a different budget. But, there are some very important other costs involved in starting a business. One that I'm surprised that has not been mentioned so far has to do with your development as a wedding videographer, if that is the market you with to penetrate. You may find a much greater return on your investment if you were to allocate some of your $10K on gaining some valuable training. Whether it be seminars, longer classes, or some other form of training. There is also another possible advantage and payoff in doing so. By attending such functions and classes you will come into contact with others in your profession, and networking is a major part of business.

I'm not sure if you've also allocated budget to other business related equipment such as some form of equipment to be able to display examples of your work to your potential clients, or general office equipment such as purchasing a cell phone for your business. I know these seem like small expenses individually but they do add up quickly. Any good business plan will take all of these expenses into account.

As far as production equipment, as I said, my focus would not be anywhere close to what others here have already listed and since I do not plan on shooting weddings my kit and focus is much different.

Just an observation from someone who love new toys and gear as anyone else.

-Garrett
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #30
Trustee

Okay, here's my list of what I would go for If I could start over with $10,000.

Panasonic HMC150 : <$3000 (My first choice would be the NX5, but the HMC150 can be had much cheaper, espescially as it has been around a lot longer so you can find many more [even cheaper] 2nd hand units.)
Rode NTG-2: ~$300
Sony UWP-V1: $389.95 (after rebate)
Libec LS-22 Tripod: $396.89
Panasonic HS700: $968 (or get the newer model for an extra $400)
Velbon DV7000 tripod: $149.95
Good Carrying bag: ~$300
CS5 Production Premium for Mac: $1544.95
Cineform NeoScene: $129

Throw is some extra batteries and SanDisk Class 6 SDHC cards and you're up to about $7500. Take the remaining $2500 and put it into your marketing budget Whatever your marketing budget is, it needs the momey more than your gear budget. Seriously, I wish I had done that when I was starting out.

Further down the track you can consifer DSLR's, Steadycams etc, but when you are just starting out with weddings don't make it any harder than it already is by using complicated gear.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques