Lens for still and video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 10th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Trustee

Lens for still and video

Hi all i have bought a couple 20d still canon cameras to go along with my camcorders so i can practice for a while before i jump into a 7d or 5d/mark 2/3 in the future for video. I shoot wedding video and have just started still photography. My question is i have the kit lens 18-55mm (not the best), and i have 50mm 1.4 fast prime, what general all rounder lens will be sufficient to keep costs down, for both stills for now and video in the future? so for now on the 20d, but in the future a 7d, but i may jump to a full frame instead of the 7d. I have my eye on the 24-70mml 2.8 series which has got the best reviews! will this then work for video and stills and at present on the 20d. if i plum for the 24-105mm is usm f4 again good reviews, will this fit the full frame if i get it and will it be good for now on the 20d? Lastly would the 17-40 or 17-55 be better than the lens i have mentioned above??STEVE
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Major Player

24-70 is a nice lens to have on both full frame and crop frame cameras like 7d. 17-55 is not a very handy lens on the 5D since it is generally to wide and not close enough on the end bit. However it makes a great lens for the 7D since it becomes roughly the same as the 24-70mm equivalent after the crop.

If you can afford 24-70 f2.8L. That lens will be a great investment for you no matter which camera that you will buy in the future.

24-105 is great but its only f4 compared to 24-70 f2.8. You will be craving for that extra 2 stops all the time when you hit dark receptions. Put it this way, if you need the extra reach, you can just walk closer. You cannot add the extra stop when you need more light with f4.

Santo
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Trustee

Susanto thats great, i thought that would be the case, so for future reference i may as well get the 24-70mm l, with the 50mm 1.4 what else would i need or just save for a 70-200 2.8, will the 24-70 be ok for now on these 20d canons? cheers again steve
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Make sure if your going 70-200 you get the IS. At that focal length filming will be tricky without the IS.
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Susanto thats great, i thought that would be the case, so for future reference i may as well get the 24-70mm l, with the 50mm 1.4 what else would i need or just save for a 70-200 2.8, will the 24-70 be ok for now on these 20d canons? cheers again steve
I would get 24-70 and 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8 for now. You need at least 1 prime lens in your starting kit for those shallow depth of field and low light killer shots. 70-200 is a must have lens but it can come in later on. try to look for second hand 70-200 f2.8 IS mark 1.
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post
17-55 is not a very handy lens on the 5D since it is generally to wide and not close enough on the end bit.

The Canon 17-55 is an EF-S lens and it doesn't even fit in the 5D or any other FF or 1.3X Canon
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks susanto and thanks Danny,,, steve
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros Zaharakis View Post
The Canon 17-55 is an EF-S lens and it doesn't even fit in the 5D or any other FF or 1.3X Canon
my bad. totally forgot about it. thanks for that spiros.

You're welcomed steve :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques