12 min record? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parrish View Post
Is there a re-cycle time once you reach the 12 minute limit to start shooting video again ?
I'd say about 2-3 seconds loading time.

Quote:
Some speak of heat problems, was this a camera issue or a memory issue?
I'd say a camera issue. But since the latest firmware (on 7D atleast) I hardly had this problem anymore. My last overheating was on March 2010.

Quote:
Would Amanda have any problems shooting video and then instantly switching to a still shot ?
Switching to photo mode is only a button away. You can also take picture while recording although the video will have 1-2 seconds skip when the photo was taken.

Quote:
My biggest fear in the 12 minute limit would be Murphy's law, I can just picture myself having to go from one portion of the event straight to another and having to stop. But then again the whole wedding thing gives me the willy's, not my cup of tea.
It's inconvenient, but it doesn't stop you from getting things done. When I first started I did have my HDV sitting at the back as backup cam recording the event fully... just in case I missed out on anything
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
The "at 23 frames per second or more" would be the catch for standard definition..
No, to be subject to the 4.9% camcorder duty all three conditions must be met 1) More than 30 minutes duration 2) 800x600 or greater resolution 3) >23fps
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
I'd say about 2-3 seconds loading time.

There is no "loading time", you can resume recording as fast as you can press the button.
550D with magic lantern has an "auto resume recording" option that leaves a 1sec gap (that;s what I've read, I haven't install ML yet)

Also the gap when taking a shot while recording is 1sec and then the camera resumes recording unless you hit the buffer with that shot (easy if you shoot RAW and not very fast cards)
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros Zaharakis View Post
BTW I can't see how using or not using a Mac is relevant to the 12min record (that's for Wayne)
Well, from your initial explanation you intimated that the 4GB file size limit was in relation to the use of the file system FAT32, and it is true that under FAT32 a file cannot be greater than 4GB.

From that I concluded that use of FAT32 was the cause.

You'll note that FAT32 isn't used on Macs or Linux by default, and therefore the file size recording limit would seem attributable to Operating Systems using FAT32 by default, hence my comment.

I thought the comment obvious, but provide the above to walk you through to the reasoning behind my comment.
Wayne Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros Zaharakis View Post
Actualy the 12min rec limit is there thanks to the 4GB limit on the FAT32 file system (and if I remember well the MOV container does not allow automatic creation of a new file after you reach the 4GB limit or something like this).

There is the Magic Lantern firmware/hack for the 550D/T2i that resumes recording automaticaly with 1 sec gap but that's about it.
It's also possible to do without magic lantern (which I refuse to load) if you are willing add a little hardware. I've built a small device that will record for 11m30s (to be safe on the compression not hitting 4GB), turn the record off, wait 1 second and turn it back on. So, I lose 1 second every 11:30. Just in case that's going to be at an inconvenient point in time I'm currently adding a wireless transmitter so I can see the time and remotely recycle it early (i.e. before vows or rings) to know I've got enough time without skipping.

Of course, I only need this on unattended cameras at the front of the church if I'm not allowed to stand there and operate the camera myself. Having used the DSLRs a lot recently, I'm currently contemplating selling all the 'video' cameras I still have. We didn't use them at all recently, and actually, we found the editing easier without them!
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #51
Major Player

Dave I'd be curious as to how / what device you built?

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM   #52
Major Player

Re: 12 min record?

The exact gap we have when recording a ceremony that we have to start and stop is 0.7 seconds. All audio is recorded seperatley so we have no gaps there. Even single cam the most novice of editors could work around that sort of gap.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM   #53
Major Player

Re: 12 min record?

Also in magic lantern, it looks like adjusting the qscale variable allows you to record for longer than 12 minutes, but I haven't really researched it any further.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques