Recommended slider shots? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommended slider shots?

I'm considering purchasing a DP Slider to use with our HMC150s this year, but I was wondering if it would be worth the investment. I've watched many highlight videos with slider shots of the rings, church and reception decorations, etc., but I'm hesitant to make the purchase because those shots seem like such an insignificant amount of footage.

So, would anyone be willing to share the types of shots they get with their sliders on a typical wedding day shoot?

Also, for those of you who haven't yet made the switch to HDSLRs, do you find that a slider is still a good investment? We have a Glidecam HD2000 arriving next week, so I'm wondering if that would suffice.
Rob Patin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Outside the church through railing, inside seats to isle, running up the isle, along the candles at the front, side on along the seats, morn prep along the window ledge shoe heel to heel, running up to the dress, looking at make up from doorway slide in or out, reception up to cake, slide side of cake, reception slide full room, ring shots, along tables, done... steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Patin View Post
I'm considering purchasing a DP Slider to use with our HMC150s this year, but I was wondering if it would be worth the investment. I've watched many highlight videos with slider shots of the rings, church and reception decorations, etc., but I'm hesitant to make the purchase because those shots seem like such an insignificant amount of footage.

So, would anyone be willing to share the types of shots they get with their sliders on a typical wedding day shoot?

Also, for those of you who haven't yet made the switch to HDSLRs, do you find that a slider is still a good investment? We have a Glidecam HD2000 arriving next week, so I'm wondering if that would suffice.
IMO, you'll get more use out of the slider than you will the glidecam.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys! A couple other questions:

I've narrowed my decision down to the DP Slider or the new Glidetrack HD Hybrid. The DP Slider has the advantage (at least the model I'm considering) of mounting vertically to a tripod. Would you consider this an important feature for the shots Steve describes? I'll be mounting my slider to a 503HDV head, so I guess I can partially replicate a vertical shot just by tilting the head, right?

Finally, do you find that you use your slider mostly on a tripod throughout the day? If not, the Glidetrack's adjustable feet seem like they would be an advantage.

Again, thanks for the help and opinions.

Last edited by Rob Patin; February 19th, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'd be careful basing your decision to purchase a slider on using it for a significant amount of footage. Nothing reduces the impact of slider shots more than overuse of the tool. It's like Steadicam footage or jib footage. Less is more. Less has greater impact. Less is more dramatic.

Have you looked at the Cinevate Atlas 10? It's pretty much the perfect slider for wedding filmmakers. It's solidly-built, slides smooth, it's quiet, it's very adaptable and it just looks and feels like professional equipment .. because it is. If I were in your shoes and could stretch my budget a bit, I'd go with an Atlas 10 hands down.

Also, the Atlas 10 can mount vertically. I only mention that because you were asking about it. As far as practical use on a wedding day, I would say vertical mounting isn't all that important. It takes long enough to set up and run a vertical shot (run it well that is) that it's not going to be a shot you probably use very often.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, Travis. That helps quite a bit.

I was actually looking at the Atlas 10, but Cinevate pretty much priced themselves out of my budget in the past couple months. Just recently, they tacked on an extra $30 to the slider price and an extra $50 for the "all-terrain legs" (which I would want to purchase for other uses). Quality equipment, I'm sure, but the price increase put it out of my budget.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Major Player

hey Rob. I use the DP slider and the rubber feet do adjust for slightly uneven surfaces. But be careful because they are just tiny screws and can easily fall out so it might be wise to order some extras. I was sent a few extras at no charge.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the advice. I just placed an order for a DP Slider. Fun times are ahead!
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi ive tried my slider on a tripod but i always get a little shake or a dip, so i now use a builders bench, great level for everything!! get them new asda/walmart £15.00 open up the grips put the slider in and fasten and tighten, this is very sturdy and light also.. i actually dont care what it looks like. when in church put the slider on the floor or on two blocks of light wood with cam on top of your tripod head on the slider. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Last Wed night at the RODE seminar here with Philip Bloom, on the subject of sliders, he advised a 2 foot slider is best .. one foot is not long enough and with 3 foot .. you don't notice the extra foot, the camera can overbalance and it's too big for cases.

Cheers.
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Last Wed night at the RODE seminar here with Philip Bloom, on the subject of sliders, he advised a 2 foot slider is best .. one foot is not long enough and with 3 foot .. you don't notice the extra foot, the camera can overbalance and it's too big for cases.

Cheers.
I can't agree more... I use the zaza slider and bought the longest rail that I could afford. I ended up cutting about 15 inches off of the end after a few weddings... One of the best decisions I made yet
Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post

Cheers.
Glad to hear this. After much deliberation, I settled on the 29" DP Slider. It sounds like I should be set!
Old February 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #13
Regular Crew

camera slider position?

I have been playing around with my slider, but how or where do you set them up? Like lets say you wanna shoot the cake or something. How close do you suggest? I am new to using a camera slider but I like how they can add to your video.
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #14
Inner Circle

imo you wouldn't use the slider for the wedding cake, the rig would be too intrusive.

You'd have to set it up somewhere so it doesn't upset the brides mother.

Cheers.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:30 AM   #15
Major Player

Re: Recommended slider shots?

On ebay they have knock-off's of the cinevate slider (50KG) with ball bearings.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques