Advice to brides: Getting the best from Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Advice to brides: Getting the best from Video

Hi guys,

I see the same old mistakes every wedding I do and are going to put together a template email that I send to clients a couple of months before the pre-wedding interview. I don't want it to come across as a 'dos and don'ts' as dictated by the videographer, but more of a guide to getting the best that they can choose to follow or not. At least then I've made an effort to educate.

The biggest problem I have at present, is brides who get married in a country farm setting, have a 2hr slot for their photographers formal shoot.... and want photos 1hr away on top of a stupid mountain. They spend the whole time in the car, look rushed and frazzled for a quick 10min shoot - then are late back to reception. Resulting video = bad. So some advice about time management and selecting nearby locations is top of my list.

Secondly, advice to the MC about organising a podium, microphone stand, and fixed location for people to speak from would be good. Bestmen who want to roam the audience while shouting into the microphone is a constant headache.

Thirdly, brief all people at the bridal prep that a videographer will be there and you don't need to hide your faces whenever he is in the room. "Oh no.... don't point that at meeeee".

Forth. Chewing gum & smoking just looks bad. Lose it. Worse at 50% slowmo with Magic Bullet effects. ;)

What advice would you add? Any issues that keep reoccuring with every wedding?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Advice to brides: Getting the best from Video

1. Getting the biggest room possible to do the preparation. Small hotel rooms with the videographers, photographers and all the bridesmaids and makeup people is the worse.

2. Smile when you see the camera. It's your wedding.

3. Get ready earlier. Give yourself more time to do photos and video.

4. Make sure the bride or groom has all the rings.

5. 15 min more with the photographer and videographer is better than 15 min more at the reception. You will be happier in the end.

6. More lighting. Either adding more lights from the DJ or turning up the lights just a bit more in the reception can make all the difference.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Have your bride inform the makeup girls that there will be a videographer present and they should dress accordingly. Too many times they just roll out of bed and arrive at the brides house wearing sweatpants. They also should cover up their chests because the brides face will be eye level with the makeup girls boobs and we don't need them hanging out for the video.

Also, make sure the makeup girl uses natural light and no lamps or yellow light bulbs.

(That is my rant for the makeup girls today).

Now the Officiant. Make sure he stands FACING the congregation. Too many times they stand in the aisle with their back to everyone, blocking not only the videographer/photographers view, but also the view of your parents and guests.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A few from me :

(1) Tell the bride to make sure she is in her dress at least 40 mins before she is due to be picked up. The videographer needs to leave 30 minutes ahead of the bride and really does need some footage with the bride in her gown!!

(2) When facing your husband to be for the vows instead of standing absolutely parallel to each other turn just a fraction towards the guests and the cameras too for a better view.

(3) If the traditional position is used (groom on the right when viewed from the camera) when putting the ring on the bride's finger lift her hand slightly and also tilt it forward so the guests can actually see the ring being slipped on (and the cameras too!!!!) The reverse applies if the groom is on the left.

(4) Make sure the videographer gets a copy of the reception running sheet so they know what is happening and when!!!

BTW John...it would be great to compile all these suggestions into a PDF file for brides!!! Make it available on your website too!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Trustee

Whilst no cameraman would argue about the accuracy or desirability of these worthy suggestions I think that trying to add a list that's already 20 points aggregate long will probably be seen as stage directions and is futile.

I ask (and it's a verbal request not a written one) only one "favour" of my couples and that's to hold their rings on the sides and from beneath the finger so we get a chance of seeing it - and stress that if they forget well it doesn't matter.

Remember, we do this many times; most couples, at worst do it two or three. There's many things that would make our lives easier but even mentioning them in a list is an unnecessary extra stress in my view.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I would like to refer you to a post over at the inFocus Blog made by Jet Kaiser. He addressed a list of things he sends all of his brides.

10 Ways A Bride And Groom Can Help With Their Production IN[FOCUS]

I like the list of things, however I am a bit torn as Philip has mentioned. These couples already have a headful of stress and worries to be concerned with turning a certain way and following all of these "rules."

Still seems like good food for thought, so I may try creating a simple pdf to include in with my questionnaire.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm with Philip on this (there may be a cultural difference in the way we work here).
I think if I gave them such a list of do's and don'ts I'd be in danger of appearing to want to run their day, and besides in the vortex they'll be in on the day they won't remember them anyway and probably get stressed when they see me and think "what we we supposed to be doing".

By tell in guests in advance to just ignore us but smile when the camera is on them is just going to make them feel like extras. I've had couples book me because they watched their friend's DVD; and had been at the wedding but hadn't even realised at the time that it was being filmed, or had seen themselves as friends at the wedding captured in a natural way. It's my job to either not film people smoking or chewing, or if I do cut it out.

I believe that it's my job to work around their day and I've found that a gentle request directly when needed on the day gets better results and they'll even forget afterwards that I've asked, yet a page of instructions will hit them afterwards when they think "Oh we forgot to do half of these things, I bet the video will be rubbish".
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Inner Circle

just wear a T-shirt with in front :Smile !
and in the back: If i cause any disturbance, just tell me...
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Hi guys,

The biggest problem I have at present, is brides who get married in a country farm setting, have a 2hr slot for their photographers formal shoot.... and want photos 1hr away on top of a stupid mountain. They spend the whole time in the car, look rushed and frazzled for a quick 10min shoot - then are late back to reception. Resulting video = bad. So some advice about time management and selecting nearby locations is top of my list.

Thirdly, brief all people at the bridal prep that a videographer will be there and you don't need to hide your faces whenever he is in the room. "Oh no.... don't point that at meeeee".

What advice would you add? Any issues that keep reoccuring with every wedding?

What? That mountain shot is the bomb! Photoshoots are the best time to acquire useable footage.
Dave Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:36 PM   #10
New Boot

Do not whisper your vows.
Erin Anguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Anguish View Post
AMEN!

That's my biggest pet peeve as a videographer OR as a guest! What are we here for, people?!

:) Deborah
Deborah Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Anguish View Post
LOL - That's OK - it means more people want to watch the video to hear the vows because we (the camera operators with headphones) were the only people who heard them!

My tip #1 for brides - TIDY UP before we arrive. You don't want 'junk' in your video! Minimalistic is better than cluttered.

#2 - Don't have your hair and makeup done facing the corner of a tiny room - all I can see if the back of your head or the makeup girl's bum!

#3 - Don't have your makeup done with your back immediately in front of a big window - it's never going to work!

#4 If it's a big reception - use a PA system for the speeches. There's nothing worse than the people at the back chatting amongst themselves because they can't hear the speech. It's a downward spiral.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques