DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Slider recommendations - for DSLR weddings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/492080-slider-recommendations-dslr-weddings.html)

Ken Diewert February 21st, 2011 06:59 PM

Slider recommendations - for DSLR weddings

I've decided that I must have a slider for weddings. For use with a 5d2 with Manfrotto 503hdv head. Will primarily use with 70-200mm f2.8. I don't think I need to really go longer than 2 feet.

Budget is always a consideration, but I don't want to buy a piece of crap that sticks. I was thinking either Glidetrack or Olof Ekburghs Easy Slider. I also saw a Motion Slider that is quite cheap. I really don't care about going vertical.

I also have to get this into Canada, and sometimes shipping and duties can be brutal, especially on larger items.

Any recommendations? Or if anyone has experiences bringing any of the above into Canada, i'd appreciate hearing about their experience.

Greg Fiske February 21st, 2011 08:04 PM

Re: Slider recommendations - for DSLR weddings

On ebay they have knock-off's of the cinevate slider (50KG) with ball bearings.

Danny O'Neill February 22nd, 2011 03:42 AM

Glidetrack hybrid.

Gt were one of the first out there and have a bit of a headstart. But of course, everyone has their own opinion.

Susanto Widjaja February 22nd, 2011 07:32 AM

dp slider for now as the best value for money.

i have heard great reviews about the philip bloom pocket dolly so that would be my second vote.

I'm waiting for GT hybrid to start selling carriage only since I already own 2 of the previous version.

atlas 10 seems to be a bit too bulky for me.

Johannes Soetandi February 22nd, 2011 11:42 PM

zazaslider/IGUS is cheapest IMO. Been very happy with it especially with the price I paid (around $300 DIY).

Susanto Widjaja February 23rd, 2011 03:01 AM

johannes; zaza slider is not roller bearing type of slider making it to easily stick when sliding after a while.

Have you tried dpslider/atlas/pocket dolly? It'll feel like a sports car compared to the zaza. :P

Randy Panado February 23rd, 2011 03:01 AM

Love my Atlas 10. It's been thru all kinds of challenges and perils in the few short months of having it, but has ALWAYS pulled thru. It is on the heavier side but the pros outweigh the cons for me. The Atlas FLT is under 5 lbs but has not yet been announced.

Nigel Barker February 23rd, 2011 03:40 AM

My new Glidetrack Hybrid was delivered this morning & it is _so_ much better than the original GT. The track is heavier & stiffer so does not droop at either end when mounted on a tripod like the regular GT. The new carriage with proper bearings slides beautifully. I had been contemplating replacing my original GT with an Atlas 10 or DP Slider but am really happy with the Glidetrack Hybrid which is much cheaper for any purchaser in Europe than importing a slider from the US.

Greg Fiske February 23rd, 2011 10:07 AM

Got the Konova slider last night. Will be using it on a wedding this weekend. Roller bearing and works great.

Travis Cossel February 23rd, 2011 12:17 PM

Atlas 10 from Cinevate. I had a Glidetrack for a long time and it did the job more or less, but it also had issues. The new hybrid might solve some of those issues, but for me, I was ready for a more professional piece of gear and the Atlas 10 delivers in all areas. I can't say enough good things about it.

Michael Simons February 23rd, 2011 12:59 PM

I feel if you really need to knock a photographer over the head, the DPslider is the way to go. It's solid and almost feels like an aluminum baseball bat. It's use as a slider is also pretty good too.

Ken Diewert February 23rd, 2011 02:03 PM

Thanks guys,

I just ordered a Glidetrack thru B&H. They have really good service to Canada, and it's in stock. And while I really like the look of the Atlas 10, I need it here in 10 days. So the GT will work for now, and the price is right. I'm still paying for a cool telescoping 16' crane I had built to shoot some other stuff i'm working on.

Johannes Soetandi February 23rd, 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1621089)
johannes; zaza slider is not roller bearing type of slider making it to easily stick when sliding after a while.

Have you tried dpslider/atlas/pocket dolly? It'll feel like a sports car compared to the zaza. :P

We just bought an Atlas 10 the other day.. and yeah, I almost got a speeding fine for sliding on it!! :P

I've started off with IndiSlider Mini.. so I know how good it felt when upgrading to Zaza back then. I have also found out that Glidetrack and Zaza are both using IGUS bearing system, so it's about the same comparison. Although I occassionally do need to apply a lubricant just to make it smoother.

Cody Dulock April 9th, 2011 10:10 PM

I'm making a 12" slider similar to the DP right now after lugging around a 28" Igus slider (glidetrack/zaza style). Perfect size for weddings. Otherwise I would buy the S-480 DP Slider (18.9") or the shortest EZ Slider. Just my thoughts...

Keith Dobie April 10th, 2011 12:00 AM

Hi Ken — well it's been a while since you posted. But here goes... I'm in Abbotsford. I buy stuff from the U.S. and it sure does save a lot of money. . . even with our dollar stronger than USD. I set up an account with UPS Canada so they are authorized to be the customs broker. Then I have the retailer ship it UPS Worldwide Expedited. It comes right through customs and I get a bill from UPS a couple weeks later, for any duty and GST/HST. Last month I bought some stuff from NY - ordered on a Wednesday, arrived Friday at noon. The taxes & duty added up to about 7% of the purchase price. The caveat is of course the lack of Canadian warranty on some items that are shipped from the U.S. Hope the purchase went smoothly and you like how it works --- please post and let us know what you think.