DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   how do you shoot ceremonies with your DSLR? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/492085-how-do-you-shoot-ceremonies-your-dslr.html)

Brian Johnson February 21st, 2011 08:04 PM

how do you shoot ceremonies with your DSLR?

What sort of support do you use for ceremonies? We all know it's important to be unobtrusive. Do you use a shoulder support rig, tripod, monopod, etc? If so, which one?

What lens or lenses do you find helpful for shooting a ceremony?

Ken Diewert February 21st, 2011 10:26 PM

Re: how do you shoot ceremonies with your DSLR?

70-200 f2.8 on a tripod for me. Covered by a traditional camera wider (usually manned). 3rd camera(unmanned) in case of emergencies to cover another angle.

Although on saturday, a bridesmaid moved and stood in front of the 3rd camera during the entire ceremony(so its now known as the @ss-cam). Actually the photog stood in front of my #2 camera most of the ceremony - so that is my back up @ss-cam. I may end up using the DSLR footage for most of the (thankfully short) 8 minute ceremony.

Mark Von Lanken February 21st, 2011 11:48 PM

It really depends on the circumstances, but the front camera shoots closeups with a 70-210. The other DSLR at the back may use a 28-105 or may also use a 70-210 if it's a really long church and then a regular video cam set wide. All three of those cams are on tripods. If we have a roaming creative cam it's usually on a glidecam and slider with a range of lenses from a Tokina 11-16, or a 20 or 24mm.

The only time I will use a shoulder support (DVTec MultiRig) is if I'm shooting an outdoor ceremony and have the freedom to move around a little at the front during the processional. Then once the FOB hands off the Bride I go to a tripod.

Paul Mailath February 22nd, 2011 05:26 AM

I use a monopod, my offsider prefers tripod and we have a 3rd dslr on a lightstand down the back

Lenses - both front cameras use 14-140 stock lens (Panasonic - so I can shoot a WHOLE ceremony)
back camera 45-200

Greg Fiske February 22nd, 2011 09:49 AM

Brian,
Do a search for stillmotion on vimeo and watch their canon caravan series. Really worth watching and has answers to most of these questions.

Dave Partington February 23rd, 2011 12:00 PM

All tripod mounted. We have a monopos with feet but prefer the tripods for static positions.

I've also built a small device to turn the camera off after 11:30 (i.e. well within the 12 min limit) and auto restart it. Yes, there's a 1 second break in the record time but that's what other cameras angles cover nicely. This means I can now have unattended DSLRs as well, and can drop the use of video cameras if needed. I hate spending the time in post to match them up.

Now I just need to add my wireless trigger so I control when it recycles (so I can recycle earlier of the vows are coming up) and I'll be a happy guy.

Zhong Cheung March 3rd, 2011 08:33 AM

What is this small device you've built and how?

Greg Fiske March 3rd, 2011 10:26 AM

Zhong, magic lantern will do the same thing.

Dave Partington March 3rd, 2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Fiske (Post 1624070)
Zhong, magic lantern will do the same thing.

It does - if you don't mind running hacked firmware. Personally I've not had much luck with it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung (Post 1624007)
What is this small device you've built and how?

It's a device that emulates the IR remote controller and mounts right in front of the IR receiver on the camera. It stops/restarts the camera at preset intervals, losing 1 second of record time each time it cycles. It keeps the camera running while ever there is card space and battery capacity.

Lance Watts March 9th, 2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Partington (Post 1624143)
It's a device that emulates the IR remote controller and mounts right in front of the IR receiver on the camera. It stops/restarts the camera at preset intervals, losing 1 second of record time each time it cycles. It keeps the camera running while ever there is card space and battery capacity.

I shoot with 7D's so Magic Lantern isn't an option. I would love to know more about this little device you've created. Any chance you can post a tutorial on how to build one?