BTS Commentary: The Creation of a Modern Wedding Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Major Player

BTS Commentary: The Creation of a Modern Wedding Video

We've posted a new "Shooter's Commentary" with Behind the Scenes footage

Here is an exerpt from fstoppers.com "Wedding videography is no longer the boring handycam crap it was a few years ago. Visual Masterpiece takes us behind the scenes on their latest wedding video and gives us fantastic details into what it really takes to produce a video at this level. Shooting the footage itself is hard, but the editing is really what makes their videos shine. Check out the full post to see the finished product."

Old February 24th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: BTS Commentary: The Creation of a Modern Wedding Video

That was excellent, thanks for sharing.. im a one man band how do you think i would cope on my own with a dslr?? it looked difficult with two never mind one!! i presume for me it would be fish eye and slider shots at the church before anyone there, then fish eye and slider at morning bride prep..then run and gun with a zoom at the church and reception? steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

really insightful. thanks for sharing. great job by the way on that edit.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks we hope this is helpful to anyone using DSLR's and tackling events cinematically.

Please feel free to ask any questions and we'll do our best getting back to you.

-M
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing this video. How well does the Monopod work when using the 70-200 lens? I'm considering letting my assistant carry around this setup along with a 24-70. The foorage with the 50mm you had looked really good for it being a monopod shot. Do you like the fluid head on it? Or would a simple ball head be more efficient?

Thanks again,

Aaron
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Major Player

The monopod is excellent.. I definetly recommend the Manfrotto we use with the 701 HDV head. It works great the 70-200 IS Lens and the Cyclops from Cinevate, very well balanced and easy to use. Definitely do not get a simple ball head for active video use (other than perhaps a slider or unmanned tripod).
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks, Michael. Are you both happy with the Cyclops--would you buy it again? I haven't found a gushing endorsement yet, although it looks like something good for a person with eyeglasses, who wants the option of viewing the LCD from closeup or standing back a bit from the camera. Also viewing the LCD with both eyes instead of one seems like it would be less of a strain.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah to my surprise (yes I had my doubts too) the Cyclops ROCKS!!! It aids as an additional point of contact and is solid with the camera/mount and handles. I can actually use it as a hand held rig (no monopod or counterbalance) and it works great with good body mechanics.

I really do like it.. I wish I had three (I'd use 'em all)

and no we don't wear glasses :D
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

What kind of lens belt thing is being worn at 1:56, if you don't mind sharing? Is this the best way to carry lenses? Is it hard on the back? Or is a vest better?
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Major Player

There's really no "right way" its just a matter of what works best for you and what you're comfortable with. I happen to really like utility belts (yes that's what its called). Mine is from Lowpro. They don't make the one I have any longer but a newer version is available: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736007-REG/Lowepro_LP36283_0AM_S_F_Light_Utility_Belt.html
Also you might take a look at Think Tank as I have been very impressed with their stuff too. Rebecka has a Think Tank belt but doesn't use it much as she prefers a lens messenger bag from Shootsac ( Stylish Lens Bags | Laptop Sleeves | Camera Bags ), which I'm not fond of but she likes.

For me I like to carry a lot of lenses and not have anything swinging around or have any shoulder/back stress. The belt works perfectly for this; its easy to take on and off in seconds and it carries everything including a backup DSLR body! It stays out of the way (mostly) which I don't think a vest would do, and it keeps all the weight centrally located on the hips (no back pain).

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Blessings,
-M
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for getting back so quickly! I have been looking at the links you provided. I wish I knew which one was the right one for me! I've been making so many purchasing decisions lately, my brain is swimming. I have a 70-200L IS lens, a Tokina 11-16, and an extra HV40 I might want to have with me, aside from the typical batteries, SD cards, tapes, etc.

Sigh. I like your wife's choice of bag, wish it was closer in price to the other ones though! : )
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM   #12
Major Player

Yeah they look cool but I'm not a huge fan (unless I were on vacation or just wanted to be really discrete). But then again if you can manage it and don't use a lot of other gear it might be an ideal solution. I suggest going to a local photography shop and browsing their selection, or if that isn't an option then make a large purchase of gear you are interested in and try it out; Adorama has a good return policy, just keep everything in new condition and test it in house (don't take it on a job unless you intend to keep - my ethics anyway :D )

What are you using the hv40 for?? I might recommend selling it off in order to free up some cash. If you are mixing the footage at all 5D/hvx0 its going to look very poor.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Yes, I do intend to use the HV40 & HV20 mixed with the 60D. Hoping to get mostly 60D shots.

You don't think this is a good idea?
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Major Player

Do what you have to do.. but in a word.. no

I was so happy to sell off all my XHA1's and XLH1's once we got 5D's.. I actually have an HV20 but I gave it too my 6 year old to play with and hopefully learn how to make movies.

If you don't have the funds to go all DSLR or if there is another reason not too then go with that, but if you are looking for the best quality skip out on the "video" cameras.

When we first switched over (2+ years ago) we didn't know what we were up for so we eased into it and brought the XHA1's to record for our documentary versions (
) but quickly discovered that its more hassle than its worth, and just decided to put the extra work into consistently better looking footage. Now all of our docs are 100% DSLR footage.

My best recommendation is this.. whatever camera you are using, use it across the board, keep your colors and "Looks" consistant. If that means HVxx's then shoot all HVxx's. etc. and spice it up in post as much as possible.

Hope that helps.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:38 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Well, I'll have to go with what I have for now. I'll have to struggle through editing and matching in post. I've worked with FCP 7 (Color too) and it can do wonders. I have extra time right now too.

Hubby is already freaked over how much I've spent so far.

How funny you gave your 6 yr. old the HV!

Love your work. Excellent quality. I only hope to be this good someday.
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques