New to weddings - On a Budget - Thoughts and Suggestions needed - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: New to weddings - On a Budget - Thoughts and Suggestions needed

If the groom is wearing a coat, mic up the groom, he doesn't get a choice. When your sister is whispering her vows and you are 15 feet away, nothing is going to pick that up if it's on your cam. Then in post use the cam audio to mix in some of the ambient sounds so your mic'd audio isn't too stale.

The monopod that's been suggested, I have one and love it. If you try and cheapshot the monopod from this model, you might as well just plunk the camera on a broom stick. This model monopod has a fluid pivot in the base and video head. The typical monopod though is just a collapsing stick. If you are looking for it used, the same model that precedes this one is the 561B.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
I'm also debating sliders...but the Pocket Dolly Signature Series keeps selling out.

So in the meantime need something cheap to hold me over.

What are your guys thoughts on the Zazaslider w/ Zaza feet vs. Motion Slider vs. Motion Slider HD vs. Glidetrak SD vs. Glidetrak Hybrid?

I still can't figure out the difference between Motion Slider and the HD version.
The Motion Slider HD Version, it seems, is a bit more heavy duty in build.
The issue I have with Motion Slider right now is there doesn't seem to be as big a following as some of the other Sliders. Thus, no video previews or comments to read. I'd like to hear if anybody has had some experience with them. I wrote them today but no response so far. Are they still in business? Anyway, I have a slider thread here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniqu...ut-way-go.html to continue this discussion.
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks!

So the Glidetrack SD, HD, XD lines just carry different camera payloads? But then there's the Hybrid model in the HD line, which says it uses both sliding AND roller bearings. I'm assuming the SD line only uses one of them, but which one?

How much better is the hybrid system?
Glidecam SD/IGUS uses a sliding system, which is not as good as roller bearing system. Glidetrack Hybrid should be way much better as it combines the two.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:22 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
How much better is the hybrid system?
10X better, 100X better. Pick a number. It is much, much better. I used to get so frustrated with my Glidetrack SD as it used to stick or judder at just the wrong moment. It could be great but would often ruin a shot right at the end. The Glidetrack Hybrid is in a whole different league.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM   #35
Major Player

If you don't mind chinese knock-offs to get a roller bearing slider I recommend konovacamera's 50KG on ebay. I used it on a gig last weekend and can post samples if anyone is interested.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:21 PM   #36
Regular Crew

What do you think about the Dual Dolly RS show here: Dolly/Track Systems | eFilmGear
Video here: YouTube - Dual Dolly RS Demo

I like the idea that the dolly doesn't stay locked to the track and, thus, can be used without it on flat surfaces and up walls.

Thoughts?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:27 PM   #37
Major Player

If you are hellbent on a slider and can handle a drill this looks like a great starting point.

Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:55 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert James View Post
What do you think about the Dual Dolly RS show here: Dolly/Track Systems | eFilmGear
Video here: YouTube - Dual Dolly RS Demo

I like the idea that the dolly doesn't stay locked to the track and, thus, can be used without it on flat surfaces and up walls.

Thoughts?
The ebay auction i gave you a few days ago Camera Skater Slider Dual Dolly RS (tm) with 3' TRACK! - eBay (item 180632764098 end time Mar-02-11 11:39:26 PST) ended at $132.50

I haven't tried it myself but I like the idea too and their sample footage looks promising.

It is a very easy DIY project too and it will probably cost you less than $30-40 to build one. Well worth the try IMHO
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Alternatively you can get this Video Camera Track Skater Dolly Slider 5D2 7D d700 A55 - eBay (item 120690136951 end time Mar-07-11 20:27:42 PST) and make your own track for it.
You can follow these instructions YouTube - DIY Spider Trax Dolly Track final video.mp4
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:48 AM   #40
Major Player

or buy a skateboard :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:37 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I am keeping an eye on those Ebay auctions. The seller has very positive feedback and though there are not a bunch of clips out there with this dolly I like that it can come of the track and be more versatile.

What is bother me now are sites like IndiSliderMini and Motion Slider not returning my emails. That is just poor business and makes me wonder if they are even still shipping this stuff out let alone the quality of it when it arrives.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #42
Major Player

This monopod works great with a 700 or 701 head. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554095-REG/Manfrotto_334B_334B_Automatic_Monopod_Black.html
With the hand grip adjustment it allows you a lot more flexibility than a standard monopod. I have used this setup with great results for a few years now.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Yeah, I was going to ask for other Monopod suggestions outside of the already posted $250 one. Thanks.

Any other monopod suggestions in the lower end price range would be great.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #44
Regular Crew

The $250 monopod is worth every cent.

With tripods-monopods and heads, you need to find a system that can work together seamlesly.

The Manfrotto 501-701 heads share the same quick release and you can find cheap third party compatible quick release adaptors and plates Calumet Quick-release Video Head Adapter so you can build a system that you can quickly move your cameras from monopod to slider, to tripod, to shoulder mount without much hassle.

For now you may just go for a manfrotto 701 or 501 head and a cheaper monopod in order to build a system around that manfrotto quick release or if you want to go even cheaper you can do it around the smaller manfrotto quick release and RC2 heads like the 128RC at almost half the price. It's not that stable as the other one though.

Last edited by Spiros Zaharakis; March 5th, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #45
Major Player

Just to second what has been said about quick release plates. You REALLY do want to have compatible quick release plates on your gear, and you want heavy duty tripods and monopods. When your cameras are loaded with extra gear, it's really important to have a heavy duty monopod with a compatible quick release to your tripod for all the times the tripod isn't practical.

And don't get a light monopod whatever you do. When your camera is loaded up with wireless receiver, shotgun, firestore, etc. the rig tends to become somewhat top heavy. A heavy monopod will help to balance everything. And a balanced heavy load is far more comfortable physically than an unbalanced, lighter load.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques