DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Use of matteboxes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/492352-use-matteboxes.html)

Asvaldur Kristjansson February 27th, 2011 12:20 PM

Use of matteboxes

Just wandering the use of matteboxes. I know you can place different filters and it looks cool, but I never see a photographer us it. A lot of the effects achived by use of f.ex. gradient filters can be done in post. Is it mostly the look of a cinemaphotography that urge people to get one?

Chris Hurd February 27th, 2011 12:53 PM

Re: Use of matteboxes

For which camera, in particular? So I know which forum to move it to. This doesn't relate directly to wedding videography... unless anyone wants to comment in general about using matte boxes on wedding shoots.

Asvaldur Kristjansson February 27th, 2011 01:34 PM

Mainly on DSLRs but also on videocamcorders, EX1, Z1 and Panny D200. Just wandering if it is used to impress the customer at the event or is there a real benefit to it.

Louis Maddalena February 27th, 2011 05:18 PM

I feel like at weddings, it would be too much of item that will attract a lot of attention to you which might not be a good thing.. If you don't know what they do, then just grab some ND filters for your lenses for shooting outside..

Brian Drysdale February 27th, 2011 05:56 PM

Unfortunately, the sky highlight information that you save by shooting with a grad filter isn't there to be used in post, because it's been clipped.

Another important job they do is reducing the stray light hitting the lens, so improving image contrast.

Matte boxes aren't absolutely essential for documentary shooting, but they're pretty much standard on other types of film and video productions to avoid lens flares etc, which zoom lens are especially prone to.

Rob Morse February 27th, 2011 06:02 PM

It may look more impressive but it actually does serve a purpose. For example, you can use a ND .6 gradient on a sunny day. You may be able to make the video look better in post but it will never look as good and will not have the detail if you blow out a sky. It's a tool just like anything else you use. I use it mainly outdoors and I don't use mine for artistic purposes.

Edit: I was writing the same time as Brian and he just re-enforced it.

John Wiley March 2nd, 2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asvaldur Kristjansson (Post 1622612)
never see a photographer use it. A lot of the effects achived by use of f.ex. gradient filters can be done in post.

One of the most commonly used filters for videographers is the ND filter, which allows you to select your whatever aperture/shutter settings they want for the desired amount of DOF and motion blur, want and still get proper exposure.

Using a matte box saves time screwing/unscrewing ND filters every time you need to adjust exposure.

Plenty of people use them purely for the look though.