DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What is Your Order of Action? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/492502-what-your-order-action.html)

Zhong Cheung March 2nd, 2011 03:47 AM

What is Your Order of Action?

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's great advice on my questions so far as a new wedding videographer. So here's another one for you:

What's your plan/order of action after you've booked a new client, signed contract, and received the deposit?

I'm meeting with my first potential bride tomorrow and it seems likely that she will book me and hand me a deposit with a signed contract. But what next? Do you not do anything until the rehearsal event, during which you look for camera placements, meet with officiant to discuss church rules, meet with still photographer, etc.? And then do nothing again until actual wedding day?

Or do you hold additional meetings (phone, email, or in person) with the bride/groom to gather logistics such as order of events, specific scenes, interviews, etc. to capture?

In other words, what is your normal procedure from getting client to delivering the product?

Kelly Langerak March 2nd, 2011 11:46 AM

Re: What is Your Order of Action?

Send them a Wedding Questionnaire. You can buy one here: Purchase Resources Matt's new contract is worth the purchase too.

I send this to them with a copy of the contract and tell them to have it to me 2 weeks before the wedding. This document will save you a bunch of hassle and time. Do add your own tweaks to it too and tell the client to use any color then black so its easier to read.

Once I get that I read it over and see if I have any other questions.

Secondly, I call them the week of the wedding to verify where we are meeting and what time we should be there. This is huge. I've had brides tell me different info then what was on the questionnaire because sometimes things change.

I don't attend the rehearsal because I would have no life, but it's a good idea to do it. Sometimes the rehearsal isn't done where the ceremony will be so that sucks for you.

I also always show up one hour earlier ON THE WEDDING DAY then they want me too especially if they are getting a highlight video. I find spending a bit more time with the bride in the suite before the photographers hog all the space does wonders to the final product.

Welcome to the forums bro!

Zhong Cheung March 3rd, 2011 12:49 AM

Re: What is Your Order of Action?

Thanks! I think we have a pretty comprehensive contract at 8 pages, but we're going to have a lawyer friend look it over too.

Some of the other documents/products there seem good too, though pricey. The questionnaire seems great though, thanks for the suggestion.

If the rehearsal is at a different venue, then that sucks...and won't let us prepare anything really.