Best time for SDE showtime at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Best time for SDE showtime

Gday. Based on experience, what do you think is the best showtime for SDE?

I've seen a lot of epic SDE includes the bridal waltz, which I reckon made a lot of impact to the build up of the SDE.. However, in most wedding I've been.. lots of guests left after the bridal waltz as only a few bunch would stick around and join the bridal party on the dance floor..

If the showtime is earlier (eg. during dessert), then you will miss out on the bridal waltz that could potentially bring the SDE to a whole new height..

Any input?
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:57 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Best time for SDE showtime

The earlier you can show it, the more impact it will have. For maximum impact, we sometimes show it just after the "grand entrance" of the bride and groom (into the reception room.) But it's a lot of stress....
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
The earlier you can show it, the more impact it will have. For maximum impact, we sometimes show it just after the "grand entrance" of the bride and groom (into the reception room.) But it's a lot of stress....
How many gigs of footage have you shot up to that point? My editor doesn't finish until after the cake cutting.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Really? The earlier?

I would've thought SDE would pack more punch at the end of the night.. kinda like the highlight of the evening..
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
How many gigs of footage have you shot up to that point? My editor doesn't finish until after the cake cutting.
I don't count gigs, do I don't really know. We shoot EX-1, copy to laptop throughout the day, and edit with Edius 5.5 as we go. Editing is always completed by the time guests begin their meal.

Edius is fast because no transcoding of footage is necessary. Just put anything on the timeline and edit!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Do you guys all have dedicated editors? We don't stop filming from the moment the ceremony starts until they all sit down to eat. There's no way I could edit and film at the same time ;)
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Do you guys all have dedicated editors? We don't stop filming from the moment the ceremony starts until they all sit down to eat. There's no way I could edit and film at the same time ;)
I have a dedicated editor, but to be honest we don't finish the edit until very late in the reception. I even have the editor assist me during the day now so he is with me all day seeing what I shoot.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Okay gents.. we're slowly drifting away from the main question.. it's about 'when' is the best time to show SDE during the reception?

I shoot and edit but I am getting 2-3 hours break prior to reception so I'm sure I'd have enough time to finish editing around 9 to 9.30 pm.. but bridal waltz dont usually start until then. I haven't try showtime after that hour.. although this weekend will only be my 3rd & 4th SDE.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Inner Circle

while I don't do SDEs it's been my experience at the 'few' weddings I've done that most times if there is say a montage that's played it's done either just before or just after dinner before dessert is served. Mind you now that in my area 99% of weddings are sit down dinners and not buffets which could change the timeline a bit. Keep in mind that generally after the B&Gs first dance, father daughter dance and mother son dance which are considered the norm in my market people will start to leave and frankly most DJs and or band leaders are not of the mind set to stop the party and the flow of it to show any kind of video. there is more than a 50% cahnce of "losing the party" meaning a lot of people would leave and then the bride gets ticked off at the DJ because her party got ruined. Anyway, I don't how it is in your part of the world but around here the video stuff montage or SDE gets played pretty early.
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Major Player

we play our sde between 9.30-10pm
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Santo, what time does the bridal waltz usually start and how many time you have between the waltz and showtime? I suspect you need atleast 20 mins to transfer, transcode, insert into FCP, and render. Would most people already hit the dance floor by then?
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #12
Major Player

it depends on the schedule. sometimes the bridal waltz happen right after the grand entrance. In that case we will most likely try harder to put it in the SDE. if the waltz happen much later at night, we will see whether we can manage to put it in somehow. I guess it really depends on whether your edit really dying to have the waltz in there or not. There is no rule that you have to put it in and its not all about the WOW effect that you managed to squeeze it in. Its more about whether it fits with the whole edit that you're doing.

I had some cases that we had waltz right in the beginning of the reception and I decided not to put it in because I didn't feel I needed to.

my two grand
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #13
Major Player

LOL, thanks for the two grand tips mate. I actually have never been to a wedding where the waltz is after the grand entrance.

I just did two SDE last weekend and received great response on both. Showed around 9.30 to 10 PM. However, I noticed my editing skill still needs some polishing. It took me 4-5 hours roughly to finish off. Quite concerning...
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques