TV colours at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 5th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Trustee

TV colours

Hi all....
The past 6 weeks i have done a lot of home viewings to show my dvds and demos... I seem to be busy and getting bookings, but my question is, after showing various dvds some form various camera footage from last year some this year, sony hvr -hd1000e, canon hv 40, canon 550d, panasonic tm700. i find the footage varies so much it is incredible!!! this morning the footage from the 550d looked absolutly terrible on a sony bravia high spec TV. Yet last night on the cheapest LG the footage looked amazing, with the changes in colours with clients TVs what do i and others do to convince the client all is ok?? steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: TV colours

Most of the times all you need to do is disable any contrast enchancing presets like "dynamic" or "vibrant" etc, most of the times they make things worse. Ask them to play with the presets untill they find a pleasing setting.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

You have to remember that when they watch your DVD they will find nothing wrong with the colour or clarity because, the way their TV is set, that's how they expect all video to look!!! To you it looks horrific to them it's quite normal because they have nothing to compare it to!!!

It's always a big issue. You could take a portable DVD player with you but I have found that the audio really is bad thru tiny little speakers. The REAL answer (in my case anyway) is don't show them anything!! I used to take/send a DVD to the client and was horrified at some of the TV setups!!! Some were better than mine..but most were a LOT worse.

I now stick with online clips and invite them to view my work there and "hey presto" the requests for a DVD showing at home disappeared overnight...yep, they still book me as normal but they seem to be quite happy with checking out on-line clips....it does save you the anguish of wondering just how bad their TV might be!!!

Your only other real alternative is to get them to come to you (which I don't like) or carry around a DVD Player/TV/Sound System!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Chris -
That's a big jump to hope that the client's computer monitor is any more accurate than their TV... but again, they are used to looking at the world through rose, orange, green, or whatever color glasses...

Certainly if they have broadband and a decent computer, it saves time and hassle to send a shortcut/link, but I'd be nervous as to how good their connection/computer is - seen a lot of computers choke on HD video...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

I do, of course, offer to send them a DVD (and hopefully their system is up to par!!) Our locals all seem to be on Broadband 2 now as it's actually cheaper than dialup..some of the country areas still are slow!!

Up to 2009 I kept all my online clips private so couples could sent a link to overseas family and of course the requests for DVD's was high...I would say that there is a better chance of them being able to watch an online clip in reasonable quality and colour than actually sending them a DVD and getting them to watch it!! Most seem to watch it on their computer (one bride wanted to know what the funny lines were (interlacing) but still booked me!!!)

I think apart from having a pristine showroom at a city location where brides can walk in and watch a DVD on a brand new 50" screen while sipping a complimentary latte ...we are really at the mercy of what gear they have a home....a "showroom" means huge overheads and staff which eats into profits unless you are shooting really high end stuff and can cost that in!!!

Surely a great compromise would be something like a portable "demo" setup with around a 21" LCD and DVD player that all could fold down into a portable case....you would also need a good sound setup too!!

I've seen how DJ's gear can fold up into quite compact cases ... if the demand to watch an actual DVD is high in Steve's market it might be an option.

However Steve does say that " I seem to be busy......." so it might just be that we are a lot fussier from a technical aspect than couples are ????? 99% of brides are more interested in the DVD bride's dress than whether the resolution and colour is up to par!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi all thanks for your replies, some good points!!! I seem to be now busy as i go and see the client where as last year i used to say you can view my work on my website, and found people wanted a little more especially the series ones. I have a studio come shop with my wife but i find people are becoming lazy and they dont want to travel with work commitments and no time...so i go to them,,, Very good point about clients not really knowing so i will steam ahead and make sure i try to change all settings on their TVs to get the footage at least right in my eyes.. Maybe im being to critical and to much of a perfectionist like we all are in this buisness!!!...If i could afford it i would play through my dvd player through a projector on their wall.. Thanks guys for comments...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I heard a story about an editor who turned the saturation up on his monitor because that's how he preferred it. I don't think he got the industry standard monitor set up idea.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yeah, it really hurts to spend all the time to nail the colors and "look", only to see it on a tiny CRT with blown saturation... been there, got the t-shirt, but they loved it anyway. Sigh.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques