60D w/HV20 & HV40? HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

60D w/HV20 & HV40? HELP!

Am I totally being ridiculous to believe I can capture a wedding properly with a 60D, a HV20 naked and a HV40 (w/Raynox .66) for a wedding? Can I match these in post (FCP-Color) for color?

I have decided on the 70-200L (IS) for the ceremony. I am struggling to understand which lens(es) to get for bridal prep, flying outdoors (well, I'm hoping I can get by with monopod fake "flying"), and on a slider.

And, am I right to think I should get a slider over a glidecam if my budget is short? I really like those shots I've seen with sliders of pews from back of church, rings, shoes, dress, etc. Will a monopod for bridal prep be okay?

Can I get a nifty fifty for the outdoor shoot on a monopod? Or do I need a zoom lens (Tokina 11-16)? And will the Tokina totally screw me up with its backwards focus? How DO you focus while flying?

Or do I really need a glidecam?

Ahh! So many questions! Thank you for any help.
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 60D w/HV20 & HV40? HELP!

I am not a regular wedding shooter, but know these cameras-- or their sisters. (I have HV20, Canon 5D and Canon T2i, flyer and slider.)

"Am I totally being ridiculous to believe I can capture a wedding properly with a 60D, a HV20 naked and a HV40 (w/Raynox .66) for a wedding? Can I match these in post (FCP-Color) for color? "

Not totally ridiculous. Can be done with reasonable adjustment in post to match up the cameras. Question is what will you shoot it... 24, 30 or 60. Depends on what you are trying to look like.

"I have decided on the 70-200L (IS) for the ceremony. I am struggling to understand which lens(es) to get for bridal prep, flying outdoors (well, I'm hoping I can get by with monopod fake "flying"), and on a slider."

Thats (35mm still camera terms) 110 mm to 320. That's effectively telephoto, and won't give you much of a wide shot. But I assume one of the other camera's will be on lock down. The nice thing about the new T3i is that it will have a pretty decent digital zoom at 3x that could give you additional flexibility.

"And, am I right to think I should get a slider over a glidecam if my budget is short? I really like those shots I've seen with sliders of pews from back of church, rings, shoes, dress, etc. Will a monopod for bridal prep be okay?"

The Blackbird, at $ 465 or so, works well with my HV20 with a wide angle attached, as well as my T2i. For the Canon, you should be shooting with a 24mm or less lens.

"Can I get a nifty fifty for the outdoor shoot on a monopod? Or do I need a zoom lens (Tokina 11-16)? And will the Tokina totally screw me up with its backwards focus? How DO you focus while flying? "

a. mono pod can still be a bit shake unless you are real careful. 50mm will still be in short telephoto realm, and accentuate the movement.

b. As to the Tokina, wide is better. But don't be afraid to consider other lens, like old nikons and pentaxes. I have a Nikon 24mm with adapter that serves as a just under normal lens very well.

c. Reverse focusing. has never been an issue with me, I tend to just set up the focusing directions in my mind as I first attach the lens and be off.

d. Flying and focus. Generally, you will shoot wide, and even on the DSLR camera, wide will mean a fairly deep depth of field. On the DSLR, you really have no choice but to zone focus, and lock it. On the HV's it will have deep depth of field. I have shot the HV's with autofocus on or off, Generally, though, you should have it locked off too, in my opinion, having focus set to the approximate distance you expect

"Or do I really need a glidecam?"

Glidecam or Blackbird give a more professional look. But post steady cam treatments are getting pretty good too and if you can keep things reasonably steady, the fix can be there. Try one of the steady programs and see if you can make it work before your shoot so you can see what motion you want to try to get..
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,

Thanks for your response.

[QUOTE=Chris Barcellos;1626977]
"Am I totally being ridiculous to believe I can capture a wedding properly with a 60D, a HV20 naked and a HV40 (w/Raynox .66) for a wedding? Can I match these in post (FCP-Color) for color? "

Not totally ridiculous. Can be done with reasonable adjustment in post to match up the cameras. Question is what will you shoot it... 24, 30 or 60. Depends on what you are trying to look like.

I plan on shooting 24p
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Trustee

Hv40 here and 60d... put the hv in to cinemode 25p and 60d in neutral with sat down a little, it matches quite nice in post...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Lisa,
I also think it is possible to match the HVs with the D60 with some post work especialy if you are carefull with your settings when you shoot (exposure, white balance).

I also have another suggestion that may be even better for your 60D.The new 50-150 f2.8 OS from Sigma. It has an equivalent focal length of approximately 80-240 which I find more usefull on a crop sensor.
Other lenses to consider are the Tokina11-16 f2.8 or the Samyang 14 f2.8 for wide angle and one of the following: Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS or Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC.

For a low cost (but not bad at all) Glidecam alternative check out the Flycam Nano on ebay. It is only $115 and it will work with any of your cameras. Very good VFM.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques