DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Help! First DSLR wedding - SDHC card won't transfer file (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/493090-help-first-dslr-wedding-sdhc-card-wont-transfer-file.html)

Kren Barnes March 14th, 2011 09:56 AM

Help! First DSLR wedding - SDHC card won't transfer file

Hello,

I used a 32GB Delkin SDHC cards to shoot our first DSLR wedding this weekend. Yesterday when i was transferring the files to my cpu, one of the .mov files which contained the whole ceremony kept giving me parameter errors or device not ready... i tried transferring and converting it via CanopusProcoder directly from the card and only managed to extract half of the 3GB file.. the rest of the file i cannot seem to transfer, it would stop midway through the transfer/extraction and give me the errors. I've tried 2 different card readers and 3 different computers. all other files in the card went through smoothly with no problems. This is my worse DSLR fear realized :(

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Kren
Vertical Video Works* Winnipeg Videography

Bill Engeler March 14th, 2011 10:23 AM

Re: Help! First DSLR wedding - SDHC card won't transfer file

That's scary! First be sure not to write to the card at all. Try another card reader, just to eliminate the possibility of a faulty reader.

If that doen't help, I suggest you try some software from SanDisk. I believe it is called rescue pro, or something like that. It may be of some help to you. I've never used it myself, but I have heard that it works in many cases like yours.

Noel Lising March 14th, 2011 11:17 AM

Kren, it would cost money but I would seek professional help in saving the files. There are companies that do reverse engineering & they should be able to extract the files.

You did mention using an HDV Camera as back-up in your previous post so that could be your defcon 4 life saver.

Keep us posted.

Dave Blackhurst March 14th, 2011 01:08 PM

Your post didn't quite say - have you tried transferring using the camera rather than a card reader, and have you tried viewintg the file on the camera to see if it can play it back? Worth a shot if you haven't tried it. Video files are a bugger if they get corrupted...

Johannes Soetandi March 14th, 2011 10:06 PM

Kren, are you trying to convert directly from the card? Have you tried copying the file first to the computer?

My suggestion is to make sure first that the file is not corrupted (viewable from the computer and the camera). If file is playing ok, then you should be safe, the problem must've been with the reader or the computer.

Chris Harding March 14th, 2011 11:07 PM

Hi Kren

There is a post done a while back on corrupted cards that might help??? It does list a resource too!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...es-beware.html

That must be really scary, especially the ceremony that you cannot ever repeat!! I must admit I had to do a bouquet toss over as they decided to do it without telling me!!! I have never had a corrupted card on the Panasonics thank goodness!!!

Chris

Kren Barnes March 15th, 2011 12:14 AM

i tried watching it on the cam and it only allowed me to watch 6 minutes of a 9 minute footage...it is the same frame where the card readers gave me an error ...also tried downloading it via the cam and got stuck on the same frame. I've contacted Delkin and they've offered to replace the card and also try to recover that one file..although i might also try downloading it to a Mac .. i don't know what the cause is since i can see the file, it plays until the 6 minute mark where it gets stuck...

Even though we have 2 other cams filming, it'll suck if we cannot use this groom footage given that it was during their vows .. what a way to start shooting dslr's :(
Oh well just my luck i guess :)

Appreciate your advice guys! Cheers!

Kren
Vertical Video Works* Winnipeg Videography

Johannes Soetandi March 15th, 2011 06:44 PM

Seems like a corrupted file mate. Although usually with corrupted files I had in the past, I can still download but cannot view it. Yours is another scenario that I've never came across.

Probably lesson learnt is to rely on a reliable card like Sandisk. Hope the footage can get recovered.

Aaron Jones March 16th, 2011 03:42 AM

That sucks Kren. Is this the last file on the card by any chance?
There has been talk of dodgy card sellers who sell 32GB cards when in actual fact they are really 16GB or 8GB. The cameras will keep trying to write as it is being told by the card that it is 32GB, but no info is being written.

I imagine you have bought the cards from a reputable seller, but they could in turn cut corners themselves.

Hope you get the files back soon.

Henry Olonga March 16th, 2011 08:33 AM

How about downloading every other file but that troublesome on? Then try recover it

Kren Barnes March 16th, 2011 02:19 PM

Actually its the very first file and there are also 2 other files (from a group of 20 files in the card) that wont copy nor transfer...i had no problems transferring the rest of the files...i also got all my cards from B&H Photovideo since they are very reputable... im beginning to think that it is the card itself ...I will send it to the manufacturer and hopefully they can retrieve the footage and send me a new card...

Cheers!

Kren

John De Rienzo March 16th, 2011 02:46 PM

Ouch, really feel for you Kren. Got to be top of my list for worst nightmare scenario and it does feel like a ticking bomb for all of us waiting to happen with this media...bring back tape,lol:)!

Please let us know the outcome.

Cheers

Craig Terott March 16th, 2011 05:04 PM

I find the SLRs unforgiving with lens changes/card changes. Double check that the camera is off. The auto shutoff is something i don't trust any more. I've been in a big hurry before and accidentally spun the lens off with the cam on and noticed after I had corrupted files. I can't be positive that the two are linked but it's happened more than once (lens change with cam on and then corrupted file). Seems to me the auto shutoff is not the same as switching the camera off.

I'm curious if you did you do any lens changes during the entire use of that card? Even if it was after you wrote that big file.

Ken Diewert March 16th, 2011 09:55 PM

Real sorry to hear about this problem Kren. And I hope it all works out...

I wonder if SD cards are more susceptible to corruption. I've shot over 10,000 clips on CF Cards on my 5d2 and not had any corrupted files, and I do change lenses without turning the camera off. I realize that the possibilty always exists of losing files, but I think I feared more about this with tape, and I only ever shoot with the highest grade of tape I could find and never mixed brands.

Sean Philips March 17th, 2011 05:21 PM

Oh buddy.

You should have called me to check which card to get. (Remember I offered you help when we met a year ago?!)

The Delkins are utter shite. I bought 2, 18 months ago, and did a test shoot the week before I was going to shoot a DSLR wedding. (Which, by the way, is what you should have done too!). Both cards crashed. I had about 30% of the files completely unrecoverable.

If you are going to ride a motorcycle, do you get the cheap helmet to protect your brain (and your memories) or do you get the top of the line one? Same goes with protecting other people's memories.

Sandisk, class 10.

Now you know why.