Monopod, Slider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monopod, Slider

I've tried looking and I can't seem to find on here which Manfrotto monopod will work best with my 60D and 70-200L IS lens during the ceremony, along with battery grip (and which battery has the longest life BTW?). Will the 560B be okay? Please direct me if there's an answer to this already. I'm also a slightly wimpy woman so need to consider the weight of carrying it around.

I'm also researching sliders. I really like the touch these add to a wedding film, but am on a budget after investing in my new camera and only two lenses so far (70-200L IS, Tokina 11-16).

I can't seem to find very many reviews or comments anywhere on this slider: Motion Slider 24PHD- Motion Slider 24 Camera Slider

It seems like a steal at only $129 for the 24 inch one and $159 for the 36 inch. Am I missing something? Does it stick badly? The video they have on their site looks okay. Not as smooth as the DP Slider or the Cinevate, but pretty smooth I think. Any thoughts on which size? And is it easy move quickly between the monopod and slider and glidecam? Is there an adapter I need?

Lastly, a glidecam is on my wish list. Is the 1000HD okay for my 60D with Tokina 11-16 and battery attached? Or do I need the 2000HD? I see the pro ones are a pain, so those seem like a bad choice, even though they're way cheaper. I don't want to miss shots though because I'm spending too much time setting up.

Thanks.
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Monopod, Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Maxwell View Post
I've tried looking and I can't seem to find on here which Manfrotto monopod will work best with my 60D and 70-200L IS lens during the ceremony, along with battery grip (and which battery has the longest life BTW?). Will the 560B be okay? Please direct me if there's an answer to this already. I'm also a slightly wimpy woman so need to consider the weight of carrying it around.

I'm also researching sliders. I really like the touch these add to a wedding film, but am on a budget after investing in my new camera and only two lenses so far (70-200L IS, Tokina 11-16).

I can't seem to find very many reviews or comments anywhere on this slider: Motion Slider 24PHD- Motion Slider 24 Camera Slider

It seems like a steal at only $129 for the 24 inch one and $159 for the 36 inch. Am I missing something? Does it stick badly? The video they have on their site looks okay. Not as smooth as the DP Slider or the Cinevate, but pretty smooth I think. Any thoughts on which size? And is it easy move quickly between the monopod and slider and glidecam? Is there an adapter I need?

Lastly, a glidecam is on my wish list. Is the 1000HD okay for my 60D with Tokina 11-16 and battery attached? Or do I need the 2000HD? I see the pro ones are a pain, so those seem like a bad choice, even though they're way cheaper. I don't want to miss shots though because I'm spending too much time setting up.

Thanks.
Hi Lisa,
You and are are actually in a similar boat as I, too, have been looking at picking up a Slider and/or Monopod. After heading the advice of many here on the forum I have decided to go with a monopod and have chosen the Manfrotto 561BHDV. It is a bit pricey compared to other pods but it has a fluid head (only for tilting), three feet for better stability and a ball on the base that allows the tripod to pan smoothly. Also, it is light enough to sit up as a shoulder mount. I have visited a store that has one to test it and was very pleased with it.

As for the slider you mentioned, I looked at that one too but never received any reply when I wrote the people who make it. In fact, it has been nearly 3 weeks. Like you, not finding much online about it...I eventually nixed the idea of that one. To move between them you would have to have a head on the slider with the same quickrelease plate as the monopod, I imagine, but I wouldn't stick a slider on a monopod anyway...I believe that would cause much shake unless you are really steady.

However, Konova Slider looks pretty interesting.
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I have the 561B, the next one up from what you are looking at. They added some other letters to the name but what you want is a 561B-ish version for the additional height. the 560b maxes out at 5'5". The 561 goes almost to door height, getting you up and over a crowd if needed. IMO a tripod or monopod of any height is just terrific as long as everything between you and what you are shooting is shorter than your tripod or monopod is. :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Major Player

[QUOTE=Lisa Maxwell;1627892]I've tried looking and I can't seem to find on here which Manfrotto monopod will work best with my 60D and 70-200L IS lens during the ceremony, along with battery grip (and which battery has the longest life BTW?).

Lisa, you don't need a battery grip. Just another expense and makes your camera more bulky. The batteries last a really long time. Bring your charger with you.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert and James for the tips on the monopod. That helps clear it up. Now I can go buy one.

I see that Konova Slider, but keep trying to get one for around $200, but I'm not finding too many. Might ask my husband to put together the kit I keep seeing out there, but have seen some remarks about it sticking. It's the one on amazon using igus parts for $159.

Now if I could only find a Glidecam...looks like it's gonna be over $300 there. Sigh. Someone said I should be able to use the HD-1000, do you know if that's correct (with Tokina 11-16)? Also, is it silly for me to think I can use this without a follow focus and extra LCD?

Michael, really? You don't think I'll need a grip? This is good news! Are you sure though for weddings?

So many decisions.
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The 60D battery lasts a long time. I use one for all pre-ceremony. Put a fresh one in for the ceremony (along with a fresh memory card) and have my assistant start charging the old one right away. Switch again at the reception when the important stuff starts up.
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler View Post
The 60D battery lasts a long time. I use one for all pre-ceremony. Put a fresh one in for the ceremony (along with a fresh memory card) and have my assistant start charging the old one right away. Switch again at the reception when the important stuff starts up.
Thanks Geoffrey! This is good to know. Whew. Two little ones instead of two big ones saves me some good money!
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler View Post
I do pretty much the same thing. I do have 5 batteries.
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Major Player

Michael, really? You don't think I'll need a grip? This is good news! Are you sure though for weddings?

So many decisions.[/QUOTE]

I've shot about 60 DSLR weddings with the 7D and 60D..never used a battery grip.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Ditto.. battery grip is annoying especially if you plan to mount the camera on a glidecam. Your battery should last long enough for ceremony. Unless its a super long ceremony.. but you can still find time in between to switch battery. I have a bunch of generic batteries in my bag for prep, location shoot etc where its less intense. I use my original batteries for ceremony shoot.

The IGUS slider is nice and smooth.. and pretty cheap too..

Recommend glidecam HD2000 atleast.. the HD1000 may not be suitable for the camera + lens weight. I do suggest using a QR adapter on the glidecam that fits your other monopod/tripod QR.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
Ditto.. battery grip is annoying especially if you plan to mount the camera on a glidecam. Your battery should last long enough for ceremony. Unless its a super long ceremony.. but you can still find time in between to switch battery. I have a bunch of generic batteries in my bag for prep, location shoot etc where its less intense. I use my original batteries for ceremony shoot.

The IGUS slider is nice and smooth.. and pretty cheap too..

Recommend glidecam HD2000 atleast.. the HD1000 may not be suitable for the camera + lens weight. I do suggest using a QR adapter on the glidecam that fits your other monopod/tripod QR.
WONDERFUL about the Igus! I'm glad to hear good things...this I can handle budget-wise!

HD2000, huh? OK, hmm, well that ups the budget then. But man those glidecam shots can't be beat! Do you think I can use it successfully without a follow focus and LCD?

I've shot about 60 DSLR weddings with the 7D and 60D..never used a battery grip.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Michael! This information is priceless!

BTW, bought my 560B monopod last night with a battery and 2-16Gig cards from B&H! My lenses and camera should be here mid-week! CAN'T WAIT! No one wants to hear me rant about how awesome all this stuff is, so I have to come here! ;)
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi again Lisa,

Just note when I got hold of the 560 I found it to be a bit flimsy and felt I would have to be a bit more cautious with it then the 561 which raises higher and has a sturdier build. I also felt the 561 panned better. The 560 would have been good because it is MUCH lighter then the 561 but to me, that was also it's downfall. I wanted something with a bit more weight to it, especially on those bottom feet.
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert James View Post
Hi again Lisa,

Just note when I got hold of the 560 I found it to be a bit flimsy and felt I would have to be a bit more cautious with it then the 561 which raises higher and has a sturdier build. I also felt the 561 panned better. The 560 would have been good because it is MUCH lighter then the 561 but to me, that was also it's downfall. I wanted something with a bit more weight to it, especially on those bottom feet.
Well, at least these good products have good resell value, and the monopods go quick as lightning on ebay, so I guess if I don't like it, I can always get my money back that way and get a better one.
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Maxwell View Post
HD2000, huh? OK, hmm, well that ups the budget then. But man those glidecam shots can't be beat! Do you think I can use it successfully without a follow focus and LCD?
Should be fine.. just make sure to balance it correctly and dont plan to hold it too long.. 10 minutes holding the glidecam is quite a hardwork even for a young lad like me!

I agree 561B has the added benefit on its weight.. but 560B will still get you through getting a steady footages. So I'm sure you'll still find it useful.

Hope you enjoy the gears you're getting. :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Oh boy...looks like Glidecam HD2000 is back ordered for three months?! Is that true? Does anyone know where I can get one sooner?

I decided to ditch the slider for now. : (
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques