Music Rights - an interesting development - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:42 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Music Rights - an interesting development

Wayne.

PRS = Performing Rights Society
MCPS = Mechanical Copyright Protection Society

"Some online music uses cannot be covered by the joint MCPS-PRS for Music blanket licences. Examples include; Online Advertising, background music to a webpage and music offered as an incentive to purchase goods or services."

You find all the information you'll need here.
Background Music For Web Page

For your needs where it is just for entertainment rather than to promote your services or elicit new clients, this may be more appropriate,#
http://www.prsformusic.com/users/bro...ages/LOML.aspx

Hope it helps.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:07 AM   #17
Major Player

Is it legally possible to set-up a business name in the UK or Australia (a branch of your existing Canadian company) to avail of the blanket license?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thats excellent George, very helpful information and links, which will be useful for the Charity Committee to have a look at before making decisions, thank you, very much appreciated.
Wayne Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM   #19
Major Player

"Roger, I thought it quite obvious that my comment regarding person to person file sharing was tongue-in-cheek, and not at all serious, perhaps British humour doesn't quite travel across the Atlantic?"

Hey Wayne! I love British humor, even if I don't always "get it." Seriously, I misjudged by your number of posts.

I'm always running into people that have no idea of copyright issues. It happens often when I'm doing pro-bono work for charities. A lot of people have the mistaken idea that if you're not making money from something, you can't be held liable.

I really envy the setup you guys have over there getting licenses vs. ours over here. Already this morning, I've had to explain to a company (potential client) putting on dance recitals that we could not use the performance music for the online videos, nor to distribute DVDs. Instead, we would need to pick out licensed music with appropriate tempo and mood for the sound track. Really, videographers are media consultants.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; March 23rd, 2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: more comments
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Is it legally possible to set-up a business name in the UK or Australia (a branch of your existing Canadian company) to avail of the blanket license?
Under the terms of the Limited Manufacture licence here in the UK the DVD/BluRay must be manufactured in the UK & is only licensed for distribution within the European Union.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques