Solution For DSLR Record Limit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Solution For DSLR Record Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Yeah, that cam is looking nice but most of us probably aren't going to run out and replace our DSLR's with it right away either. d;-)
Weddings are so "run and gun" that it looks difficult with this camera to change your settings quickly. With the 7D, my thumb and forefinger are right where they need to be.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
Wow, amazing camera...though I guess it's about twice the price of the Panasonic AF-100.
No, it's only about 15% more expensive but it does have some weird omissions like no built-in ND filters & it only has one card slot to record to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
I wonder if this Sony has servo zoom and continuous autofocus.
They do with the right lens e.g. Sony NEX-FS100EK (NEXFS100EK) Super 35mm Exmor CMOS Sensor Camcorder with 11x Zoom E-Mount Lens
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
They do with the right lens
powered zoom? and what lens that would be?
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Major Player

Ah, the original report I read was in yen, so I converted to dollars which came out to be $8,500 or so. But actual price is $6,550.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
powered zoom? and what lens that would be?
Sorry, you are right. I mis-read the specs of the lens that I linked to. It says "11x zoom power" which I had read as " 11x powered zoom"
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I believe another member here has found a way to use an intervalometer in conjunction with the camera's IR port to be able to make the camera stop and restart at certain intervals. I didn't quite understand the explanation he gave but it sounded as though it was set up to stop the recording around 11 minutes (safely before the 4gb limit) then restart it again, with only a few seconds gap in between. Perhaps he'll chime in here and correct my horrible explanation of his device!

Of course, with the T2i you can just use Magic Lantern to automatically restart the recording.
This is the prototype of the IR emulator that stops/restarts the camera every 11m30s. We could make the board quite a bit smaller and probably use a much smaller chip too. We just had these lying around.

It runs off a 9v battery, which lasts for several 32GB cards. The button (to the left) is the start/stop button. The two red LEDs are the 'recording' and 'heartbeat' lights. The heartbeat was there for debugging only and emitted a short flash once every second. The main IR emitter is the white blob just below the 6 pin connector, which is a debug port.

It works, but the 60D is not 100% reliable. I've yet to see the 7D or 5D2 fail with it.

If you are using the 550D/T2i then use the Magic Lantern firmware!
Attached Images

Old March 26th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Your video cameras can't match the image quality and low light ability (or DoF) of my DSLR's. d;-)
Try putting a DSLR next to an EX1, the EX1 hammers it in resolution, and there is not a lot of difference in low light performance, "using a 1.4 lens on the DSLR". I have an EX1, Nex-5 and a 550D, the Nex-5 matches the EX1, colour wise, quite well. The 550D is very usefull for infills etc, even more so with Magic Lantern. We all find strenghts and weaknesses in various cameras, but using all 3 of mine on a regular basis, I would never use anthing other than an EX1 / video camera as my first tool of choice
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yeah, that cam is looking nice but most of us probably aren't going to run out and replace our DSLR's with it right away either. d;-)
I 2nd that. Im very happy with the 20k ive spent in canon 5d's and L-series lenses. A few bumps to work around as a filmmaker but this is not gonna make me wanna go buy another cam. Eventually you need to stop buying and start filming... LOL
Adam Forgione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Try putting a DSLR next to an EX1, the EX1 hammers it in resolution, and there is not a lot of difference in low light performance, "using a 1.4 lens on the DSLR". I have an EX1, Nex-5 and a 550D, the Nex-5 matches the EX1, colour wise, quite well. The 550D is very usefull for infills etc, even more so with Magic Lantern. We all find strenghts and weaknesses in various cameras, but using all 3 of mine on a regular basis, I would never use anthing other than an EX1 / video camera as my first tool of choice
Colin Im not sure you have experienced the right "DSLR" tool yet. A 550 is not the right tool for weddings in most cases. Put a canon 5d with a 1.4 lense next to an EX1 (especially in low light) and you would probably sell the EX1 the next day. T2i, 550. and even 7D do not perform well in low light so I can almost see why you would feel that way. After using a 5D with L series lenses, you would start trying to match your EX1 to it, and soon find out that nothing compares.

the main reason I replied to this was after readin "the EX1 hammers it in resolution, and there is not a lot of difference in low light performance," - I cant even bare to look at my ex1 footage anymore, i hate it compared to my 5d's. so glad i sold my ex1 last year
Adam Forgione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #25
Major Player

Sorry Adam, I dissagree. I have used a 5d and was very impressed with it, but it still didnt come close to the resolution of the EX1. Dont get me wrong, I love the way DSLRs have become such a useable tool in video production, I look at images, I am not, or ever have been, interested in figures or pixel peeping, just the image any camera will produce. I dont know exactly what DSLRs resolve, but I do know its way less than an EX1. But hey, its all subjective. I was hoping to make the transition to all DSLR, but I couldn't live with the line skipping down conversion, moire and aliasing. Give it a few years and most video cams will incorporate large sensors, without the aformentioned drawbacks, and by that time, something else will have come along. Thats electronics. And I do love shooting with a DSLR, I do think the images are excellent, just not up to the EX1,
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Sorry Adam, I dissagree. I have used a 5d and was very impressed with it, but it still didnt come close to the resolution of the EX1.
I think it's fair to say that different people have different views. Coming from HMC151s the DSLRs are a major improvement in both resolution and low noise, but I'd happily admit they aren't the sharpest tool in the box.

I recently tested the Canon XF300 and to my surprise it beat the hell out of the DSLR in terms of resolution. When trying to edit them together I needed to apply a 0.5 gaussian blur to the XF300 to bring it down to the DSLR level (shot with sharpness and contrast turned down).

However (and this is a big one for me) the DSLRs completely blew the XF300 away in low light. In fact I could shoot the 5D2 at ISO2000 and still have less noise than the XF300 at 6db, which is where I found myself shooting inside a couple of churches we did the tests in. Needless to say, without good low light capability (at least for the wedding videographer), the sharpest camera in the world is no good.
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #27
Trustee

I don't think this "my camera is better than your camera" accomplishes very much. First comes the skill of the shooter and then the choice of cameras is his or her decision based on style, preferences, familiarity, budget and a host of other factors. Also, a shooter who shows "good stuff" has a demonstrated right to an opinion that may differ from that of others.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #28
Inner Circle

The 5DII looks 'sharper' even with sharpness dialled down. This gives the illusion of detail & a higher resolution than is actually being resolved. The XF305 has much higher resolution than the 5DII if you look at video shot side by side. It also has much more natural looking colour & contrast. The 5DII looks more 'filmic' but the XF305 looks more like real life.
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #29
Major Player

Good Lord. Not another DSLR argument.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Seriously. People. The purpose of this thread was to help those who HAVE chosen to work with DSLR's. It's not a thread for discussing the advantages/disadvantages of every camera on the market. If you don't use DSLR's and don't want to, feel free to leave this particular thread alone. Thanks. d;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques