Solution For DSLR Record Limit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 20th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Solution For DSLR Record Limit

So DSLR's are awesome but for us event filmmaker's the 12 minute record limit can really be a pain. We tried out an idea at our last wedding and loved it, and thought we'd share it with the world. Check it.

Get the Buzz | A Discreet DSLR Reminder | Serendipity Studios Blog - Miami Photography & Cinematography
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Solution For DSLR Record Limit

I believe another member here has found a way to use an intervalometer in conjunction with the camera's IR port to be able to make the camera stop and restart at certain intervals. I didn't quite understand the explanation he gave but it sounded as though it was set up to stop the recording around 11 minutes (safely before the 4gb limit) then restart it again, with only a few seconds gap in between. Perhaps he'll chime in here and correct my horrible explanation of his device!

Of course, with the T2i you can just use Magic Lantern to automatically restart the recording.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Interesting idea, Travis. But what if after your 10-12 minutes are up, you don't decide to immediately continuing recording on your DSLR? That would throw the Gymboss's timer and the DSLR's timeline out of sync.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, Magic Lantern on the T2i is fantastic. I just used it for a wedding where I positioned it half way up the aisle and let it run for 40 minutes. The Rabbi wanted the photographer and us to stay only in the back, 100 feet away. The best version is one of the latest deveolpment by Alex which not only does a restart at 12 minutes but also allows you to turn the LCD screen off. The camera can overheat (mine does at about 20 minutes), but with the screen off it should record for over an hour. I am able to record for 90 minutes to fill a 32GB card with no overheating and still have power in my battery. Here is the version I use:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...s/5yhzpBgXyBoJ
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:53 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm sure many people are aware of this, but I will mention it again just in case... The american version of the Panasonic GH-2 DSLR essentially has no record limit, so provided you have large enough external batteries and one of the new SDXC 64 GB cards, you can shoot one take for 5+ hours. ( I haven't confirmed it, but I image that 10+ hours would be possible with a 128 GB SDXC card )

I mention the american model, because I believe that the european GH-2 model has an artificial 30 minute limit per take imposed on it.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Great find Travis!

I give another vote for Magic Lantern. I've used it on two weddings now, there's a few quirks that I have to keep in mind, but the benefits are plenty!
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin View Post
... the Panasonic GH-2 DSLR ...
I'm compelled to keep on pointing this out -- the Panasonic GH2 is *not* a D-SLR.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The GH2 in the US is also nearly impossible to buy, new or used. High demand.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I believe another member here has found a way to use an intervalometer in conjunction with the camera's IR port to be able to make the camera stop and restart at certain intervals. I didn't quite understand the explanation he gave but it sounded as though it was set up to stop the recording around 11 minutes (safely before the 4gb limit) then restart it again, with only a few seconds gap in between. Perhaps he'll chime in here and correct my horrible explanation of his device!

Of course, with the T2i you can just use Magic Lantern to automatically restart the recording.
I did see that but personally I don't feel like I have the time to try and build a device to keep the camera recording. Also, we don't use T2i's so Magic Latern is not an option. Thanks, though!
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
Interesting idea, Travis. But what if after your 10-12 minutes are up, you don't decide to immediately continuing recording on your DSLR? That would throw the Gymboss's timer and the DSLR's timeline out of sync.
Easy. You simply press one button on the timer to stop and reset the timer. Then hit the button again when you decide to start recording again. That's why I liked this timer. Ease of use.
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:43 PM   #11
Major Player

My video cameras don't have any limits... maybe worth a try?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Your video cameras can't match the image quality and low light ability (or DoF) of my DSLR's. d;-)
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:55 PM   #13
Major Player

Hold that thought big boy!

John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:31 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Yeah, that cam is looking nice but most of us probably aren't going to run out and replace our DSLR's with it right away either. d;-)
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Wow, amazing camera...though I guess it's about twice the price of the Panasonic AF-100. I wonder if this Sony has servo zoom and continuous autofocus.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques