Wedding Web Site Finally Launched at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Web Site Finally Launched

Now that I'm getting back into wedding videography, I've made it a priority to get the web site up as soon as possible. This morning, I finally launched it. Far from complete, there will be much more content added as we go.

I'm going for elegance, simplicity, and straightforwardness. I'd love to know what you think, good or bad.

Weddings by Corey Graham
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Wedding Web Site Finally Launched

There are many things that I like about your web site so please don't take offense at a couple of observations. While I agree with the idea of simple good taste, you have taken it too far in my opinion. It needs some color to add visual interest. How's that for a nice way to say boring ;-)

I believe it's a mistake to say "coming soon" on your screening room page. If nothing else, put some sample clips on Vimeo and link to them on this page. If that isn't possible, get rid of the "coming soon" page entirely until you have something to show. As it is, it screams "I'm brand new at this" and no one is going to buy it,
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Jim, thanks for taking a look at it.

I understand that you think the design is boring. I'm a minimalist -- it's a conscious design decision. My only wish is that it could be even more subtle.

Plus, when I post video samples, I want them to be the focal point, and nothing else on the page.

I'm not looking to generate any business through the web site. It's solely for the purpose of having a presence. The video clips, etc., will come this Spring as I have weddings booked. I have nothing at all to show on the samples page (unless I pull out some crappy SD wedding I shot in the 90's), so I'm leaving it at that for now.
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Something on your pricing sheet I didn't understand: What is a "VHS" ?

:)

Good start on the site. Minimal approach is much better than the opposite.
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
Something on your pricing sheet I didn't understand: What is a "VHS" ?

:)

Good start on the site. Minimal approach is much better than the opposite.
Thanks!

It's amazing that there's still a segment of people who are devoted to VHS. I know a filmmaker whose sales on VHS equal those on DVD.
Old March 24th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Looks very nice. I am not sure I would use a heading of "Pricing" and then not give them prices though. "Packages" or "Coverages" or some such thing might better describe what you are talking about on that page. Also, I think by placing Pricing ahead of Screening Room, you are kinda having them make a price decision about you before seeing what you are capable of offering. IMO, Pricing should be the last on the list of what you wish for them to examine.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Major Player

"Are we required to provide a meal for you at the reception?

You do not have to provide me a meal. However, I will need time off to go eat during the reception. I do ask that you provide me a meal, though, so that I won’t have to leave the reception and risk missing important coverage."

This part is completely contradictory lol.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Good points Chip! Thank you.

I was hoping that pricing could be more general. I set a starting price at the beginning of the page, then lay out the various services below. Maybe that doesn't make sense.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi..just my two bobs worth... too busy.. I like the style of your web page... imho just need to simplify... say in bullet points to make it easier to read.

Just being pedantic but on your pricing page right down the bottom last piece u have weddding.... I agree with the comments made my others.

Apart from that yes looks good
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Corey, it is so typical of human nature: some find your site is too simple, others thinks it's too busy.

I personally find the basic layout close enought to perfect. I did not read your text, much, but overall you have an excellent site that brides will find attractive.

On pricing people will argue whether to put it up or not. I took my pricing down once upon the recommendation of a marketing "expert" and my inquiries stopped cold. If a prospective bride cannot see what she is looking for immediately, virtually all of them will leave your site in less than 10 seconds.

If you are higher-end and your customers are mostly referrals, it would be different, but if you are new and are going to be depending on search engines and bridal website advertising, put your packages up with clear pricing, and list discounts for Friday and Sunday weddings to help drum up business.
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:37 AM   #11
Major Player

Ray: Thanks for looking at my site. I'm going through some revisions of my text, and will definitely consider paring it down with some bullets. I'm very much a "less-is-more" kind of guy.

Jeff: Thank you for the kind words and advice. I keep changing my mind about posting prices -- some recommend that you post them clearly, and others tell you to make them call you/meet you for pricing info. In all the photography/video work I've done through other studios over the years, I've found that most of them don't post prices, so I've stuck with that . . . for now. ;)
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:39 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
"Are we required to provide a meal for you at the reception?

You do not have to provide me a meal. However, I will need time off to go eat during the reception. I do ask that you provide me a meal, though, so that I won’t have to leave the reception and risk missing important coverage."

This part is completely contradictory lol.
I'm not sure how it's contradictory (lol), unless you're not reading it very carefully. I'm saying that you don't HAVE to feed me, but I ask that you do so I don't have to leave. Is there a better way to word this maybe?
Old March 31st, 2011, 05:52 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Corey, I did not read your text as I mentioned, but if you actually mention needing time to eat, take it down. The reason for this should be self-explanantory, a no-brainer.

The orientation of your marketing across the board should be to attract brides, not repel them.

There are videographers who put being fed in their contract. I think it is poor form except in specific situations where you are shooting all day (12 hours, etc) and then you simply ASK the bride casually prior to the date if you will permitted to eat. I collect a payment at 30 days prior to the event, and this is the best time to bring it up. This will spur vehement disagreement by some videographers, but so be it.

I've been in the wedding business since 1984, over 25 years, and I've closely watched other pros. I often sit with them for meals and discuss this and other topics.

What I've seen is: The most expensive and and higher end versions of the professionals NORMALLY would not be caught dead eating. Then there is the segment (like me) who eat, but keep it discreet. Then there are those that expect it. Lastly there are those that demand it and put it in their contract.

I've had a groom get up from his meal during dinner and kindly check to see if I'd eaten. This is quite rare.

Photographers that are diabetic take a snack, and/or stop between venues and grab a burger, or whatever. The wedding day has nothing to do with you other than your providing a service, and that is how it should be. Take care of yourself.

The exception would be if you are shooting ALL DAY, or a long shoot, then you simply ASK the bride if you are accounted for in the final count for dinner. They will almost always say either yes, or they will take care of it at that point.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 31st, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:03 AM   #14
Major Player

I'm not sure why I included that part at all, to be honest with you. I guess I'm trying to be as comprehensive as possible.

A long time ago, when I was being trained to shoot weddings, my boss gave me a series of instructional VHS tapes that taught you how to shoot and generally run a wedding video business. They made a point about the meal, and to talk about it with the couple so that there are no assumptions.

Maybe this is something better covered in the contract-signing stages, rather than on the web site?
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I wouldn't mention it at all in writing, but that is me.

What you could do if this is important to you, is put on your paperwork a check box saying videographer is invited to participate in dinner, yes or no. That way it is the customer's idea to feed you, and you are not seen as demanding anything.

At least then you know, and that truly is good information to know.

The question is would you want your being fed to become an issue that would cause you to lose a job to someone else who doesn't bring it up?

Would you turn down a $1,500 gig if you were not going to be fed? Think of it in those terms, and it should be obvious how you should handle it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques