OK, one more lens? Need Help. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 30th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

OK, one more lens? Need Help.

Here's what I've broke the bank...er, I mean purchased so far:

60D
70-200L IS
Tokina 11-16
Glidecam HD -2000 w/forearm brace
560B-1 monopod
my other two cameras are HV20 & HV40 w/Raynox wide angle lens, which I am desperately hoping will work with the 60D

I need another "standard" lens I'm finding that I can just grab and shoot with and not have to stand several feet away. Any suggestions? Is there any lenses that are under $200 that will work?

Yes, I will be needing it at my wedding shoots, but also will be shooting music videos (here's my first very simple attempt with only cutaway guitar shots w/60D:
at singer's request: password SR2011) and video biographies.

Thanks in advance.
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: OK, one more lens? Need Help.

I would pick up the 35mm f/1.4. It is a bit pricier than what you're looking to spend, but there is also a f/2 version which can be found for about $300. It won't look as nice wide open as the f/1.4, but the 35mm on a crop camera is a great all purpose length.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

And if the 35mm is out of your range, like it was for me, then the Sigma 30mm 1.4 comes in at just under $500 or on ebay for around $400. Only drawback with the Sigma is that it is only for crop cameras, which you have. But of course that may change in the future.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What you realy need is a 17-50 f2.8 lens with Image Stabilizer. Unfortunately these cost around $650 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652136-USA/Tamron_AFB005C700_SP_AF_17_50mm_f_2_8.htmlYou can get away with a non stabilized version and save $200.

Another option could be to get a vintage prime lens like this one Nikon - Nikkor 28mm f2 Lens - Excellent condition! | eBay
or a zoom lens like one of these Vivitar Series 1 f/2.8 35-85mm zoom lens for Nikon | eBay
Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f2.8 Zoom lens for pentax | eBay
Actualy the cost for these old MF zoom lenses is so low that it's worth trying them. don't forget to order adaptors to EOS mount too.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hmm...okay, looks like the 35mm f/2 is what will work best.

I'm in the market. Anyone have one they wanna sell me?
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Major Player

It might not be the right focal length your looking for. But I really like my 50mm 1.8 and find myself using it often. It's around 100$ and you can probably find one used for around 80$. It's deemed plastic fantastic. seems to be a great name for it.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Major Player

On budget, I'd get a 17-50mm Tammy since it covers more range from wide to portrait. Then 50mm f1.8 for creative dof shots.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
It might not be the right focal length your looking for. But I really like my 50mm 1.8 and find myself using it often. It's around 100$ and you can probably find one used for around 80$. It's deemed plastic fantastic. seems to be a great name for it.

Steve
The 50mm F1.8 is a fantastic lens for the money but be warned it is very small & very difficult to focus manually. Although TBH at that price you cannot go wrong with this lens as you don't have any other wide aperture lens in your collection.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:06 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
On budget, I'd get a 17-50mm Tammy since it covers more range from wide to portrait. Then 50mm f1.8 for creative dof shots.
Spot on Johannes, just got the 17-50 tamron it is excellent and very versitile, i use then the 50mm 1.8 in the house and for creative dof.... in and around church, 17 mm end of the tamron is not bad for wide shots, but saving for the tokina11-16, and need a general 30/35 mm prime so the other advice is good also. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'm looking in to all of them. And hoping my husband won't have a heart attack with my final decision!
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques