Wedding Contract? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding Contract?

This is something that I don't have and am thinking that its something I should be getting. Where is a good starting point? Any ideas on this? Thanks
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wedding Contract?

Google is the your friend
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Tyson,

I never bothered with a contract until my prices started to increase and the number of weddings I was pumping through meant invariably the odd misunderstanding occured. I now have a very brief 1 page contract which addresses the most common areas that need to be clear. I've found it a real advantage to keeping it short and simple - not a multi-page nightmare. I'm talking from a redneck island in the South Pacific though - from what I've read, the USA has a far more litigous culture and therefore may require something more substantial?

Basically my contract states:

You (the client) may expect a well presented video. Me (the producer) in event of disaster are liable only for the return of monies paid.

Copyright - DON'T stick it on YouTube
Music - Get it to me BEFORE the day
Changes - Tell me everything BEFORE the day
Editing - You CANNOT sit with me and 'assist'
Payment - BEFORE the day
Overtime - If it drags on, you pay through the nose

Not the wording of course, but you get the idea of the points I cover. :) Good luck!
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Take a look at wedding videographers in the UK..for some reason they seem to always put their contract on-line so that will give you an idea.

Ideally you need someone in the legal business to draft an accurate one as you are in the USA but still keep it simple. I'm much the same as John but I also add that I have total control of the editing and also I can use their video for promotional purposes. Basically, like John, if I totally screw up liability is limited to return of all payments.

You will find plenty of examples on Google!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques