DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Printers for wedding DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/494277-printers-wedding-dvd.html)

Johannes Soetandi April 7th, 2011 07:09 PM

Printers for wedding DVD

I've search at old history in the forum but most of the printer types that was recommended are now out of production. Would like to know what is the 'now' available printer would be recommended for printing to DVD?

I've been looking at:
Epson T50, TX710W, Artisan 725
Canon ip4700 and ip4850

Budget is around A$300 but the cheaper the better obviously. Any recommendations based on previous experiences with these printers? Or please recommend me other type you'd recommend.

Dror Levi April 7th, 2011 07:49 PM

Re: Printers for wedding DVD

I have the HP Photosmart C5550 All-in-One Printer and I have only good things to say about it.

Jim Snow April 7th, 2011 08:33 PM

I have an Epson Artisan 50. It does a great job printing discs but I can't print full sized DVD case inserts on 8.5" x 11" paper because it can't print close enough to the top and bottom margins. I would appreciate recommendations on printers that do.

Dave Partington April 8th, 2011 03:50 AM

Have you played with the settings? Almost all ink jet printers can print to the edge, you just need to find the right setting in the driver.

Nigel Barker April 8th, 2011 04:02 AM

We use the Epson Stylus Photo R800 for printing on DVDs. It uses Epson Ultrachrome pigment based inks so unlike the water based inks of cheaper inkjets the printing doesn't run if it gets damp. It's also a cracking photo printer.

Corey Graham April 8th, 2011 04:16 AM

I love the Epson Artisan 50. And with a clever hack, you can get it to print on the hub.

Chris Harding April 8th, 2011 04:45 AM

Hey John

I have been using 2 x Epson R290's for ages now!! $120.00 from PLE with cartridges!!
Never let me down yet and the Print CD software is great too!!

Uses 6 cartridges but the generics are hopeless for wedding DVD's and covers so I use
the genuine ones..a little pricey at $120 a set but they last for ages!!!

Chris

Michael Ung April 8th, 2011 05:37 AM

Using Canon IP4850 now and it prints really well on DVD especially for the price.

Jeremy White April 8th, 2011 01:53 PM

LOL, I'm printing discs as I read this! I use the Epson Artisan 50. It does a great job.

Rochelle Morris April 9th, 2011 04:08 AM

we also have the epson r800
it doesn't like generic inks - at least ours doesn't but we get good coverage of printing before we change cartridges

Nigel Barker April 9th, 2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochelle Morris (Post 1637003)
we also have the epson r800
it doesn't like generic inks - at least ours doesn't but we get good coverage of printing before we change cartridges

We used to use cheapo generic inks but had a couple of scares when it looked like the irreplaceable print heads were clogged. Repeated flushing of the heads consuming several sets of cartridges eventually cleared the heads & it now works perfectly again. However we now only use genuine Epson ink & have no more problems. The Epson inks are supposed to last at least 30 years without fading (on paper at least).

It's interesting that the R800 has been on the market for over 7 years without an upgraded replacement model appearing which is testament to what a good printer it is.

Pete Cofrancesco April 9th, 2011 03:43 PM

I use the Epson Artisan 50 with a continuous ink system. It does a good job. Watershield DVD will look the best but cost more.

Kelly Huffaker April 9th, 2011 04:24 PM

I got that Artisan 50 as well. Where did you purchase your CONTINUOUS INK SYSTEM and how much better is it??

Pete Cofrancesco April 9th, 2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Huffaker (Post 1637119)
I got that Artisan 50 as well. Where did you purchase your CONTINUOUS INK SYSTEM and how much better is it??

I got my CIS on ebay paired with a re-manufactured printer but there are many places on the net that sell just the CIS without the printer. CIS isn't really better, the prints looks the same as oem cartridges just cost a lot less. I enjoy the freedom to design whatever I want without having to worry about the ink. I often create DVDs filled with full color photos instead of mainly white with a few lines of text. In addition, with inkjet printers you need to run the head cleaner utility on a frequent basis which uses a lot of ink. Again with CIS this isn't an issue anymore.

Johannes Soetandi April 11th, 2011 03:05 AM

Unfortunately Artison 50 and many other recommended printers here are out of production. Epson R800 is a bit over my budget at the moment. :(

Canon IP4850 seems widely available though, would any other recommend this?