Wedding nightmare - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Wedding nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
She paid an apparently very famous English wedding photographer as well as an assistant to fly to Australia for her wedding. It was upwards of $20,000 from what I could gather. I honestly don't think this guy used anything wider that a 28mm lens (on a full frame camera!) for the entire day. It's not only intrusive, as well as blocking the guests views, it is also goes against all the standards and techniques of good portraiture.
Maybe that's why these photographers get paid really well. Because they dont care about other vendors as long as they get what they need. And because they get paid real well, some thought they have the right to be the more important vendor on the day. I agree that as videog we can't just let them ruin our footages.. we have to work around it.. cooperatively if possible, otherwise competitively

Paul, the photographer standing right behind the B&G when they kissed was definitely unacceptable. Every photos of them kissing (including any if taken by guests) will have him as a background, except for his own shot. I reckon it would be the most selfish position any vendor could've stand in.

Nigel, thanks for posting that link. Really inspiring!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Nigel???

I'm talking 15 to 20 inches!!! During the ring ceremony the lens hood actually touched the bride's finger and then the minister had had just about enough and pushed them away!!!

If these two idiots had been 15' to 20' I would have been quite happy ..I could have worked around them!!

Vincent, I was a wedding photographer for 10 years using film and my Mamiya RB-67's ..a 220 roll of film allowed you 16 exposures and if you carried 10 rolls it was a lot!!! These young guys don't know squat about composition ..If you shoot enough there is a 99% chance that one of out the 10 exposures you did of the ring will be good!!! In film days we shot the ring exchange once and it WAS good ...remember you had no way of even seeing the result until you went back to your lab and processed the 21/4" wide film strip!!!

My mate here shoots an average of 3000 exposures for the ceremony and photoshoot ...out of that he is pretty much certain to get 100 good shots!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #33
Trustee

I'm not wanting to sound like a die hard old codger Chris, but I agree with you. I guess that everything changes including the ethics of shooting a wedding. In my day the ceremony was regarded as a religious event and if you were lucky then the vicar would allow you to take a picture at the moment of ring exchange. Today I see guys (and girls) blasting away with flashes at every opportunity. The wedding has just become another money spinner, as you say, shoot enough and you can't fail.

The one thing that I find sad, is that the day is dominated by the photographer and everyone goes along with it.

Maybe I am just getting too old for this business.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #34
Major Player

Hmmmm.....looked to me like Regina was marrying one of her father's friends!

Those two white elongated flash units on top of those still cameras popping up all the tme was almost like two cartoon characterss peering in on the proceedings.

It was easy to laugh from afar but I am sure if you were the videographer that day you would feel more like crying.

So far it has not come up but after what I have read on this forum in this thread and others I think I will probably avoid foreign weddings if possible.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #35
Inner Circle

What really amuses me is that if the photog needs a shot from your video position they sit right down on the floor so they are well clear of your shot but forget that they have a flash and the usual piece of white card sticking up well over their head....what I usually get is a great shot of the top of the flash unit and the white card!!!

I wonder if photogs would drive under a highway bridge with an abnormally high load in the back of a pickup truck and then wonder what that loud crashing noise was?????

Chris
Old April 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
What really amuses me is that if the photog needs a shot from your video position they sit right down on the floor so they are well clear of your shot but forget that they have a flash and the usual piece of white card sticking up well over their head....what I usually get is a great shot of the top of the flash unit and the white card!!!

I wonder if photogs would drive under a highway bridge with an abnormally high load in the back of a pickup truck and then wonder what that loud crashing noise was?????

Chris
Chris, I hate when the photog stands next to me and his flash is pointed in my eyes. It's like they have no idea where their flash is going.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #37
Major Player

Much like the guy on Nigel's link, I've also came across well known photographers who do not use flash until it becomes necessary. And they actually turned down the beeping noise from the autofocus. I've really come to appreciate their professionalism as they know how to make use of natural light and understand the respect they need to give to not just other vendors, but also the guests of the ceremony.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I used to believe this but I've run across a photog who shoots so close he stands about as far away from the couple as the celebrant - there is NOTHING I can do so I simply refuse to work with him anymore. I run 3 cameras and 2 operators and he's still in the way - He's well regarded as a professional of long standing and says he works well with other video companies (maybe it's just me) - yes we did have a discussion about it!

and yes.. he is actually checking his shots while he's standing right next to the groom

Well crap, I was going to post one of my screenshots, but they pale in comparrison to that dude. Man, he doesn't give a rats arse about you at all, more over, he doesn't care about his/your clients. He just cares about himself.

By the way, I have a disclaimer in my contract that I am not responsible for the photog getting in my shot. I've only worked with two evil ones in 8 years. That's why we are going to start offering both, I'm tired of the drama. That and we can do better than a 1/3 of the ones we run into.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I've been fortunate to work with some decent photographers who are kind enough to talk to be about where they're at as well as be courteous to my part of the shooting. I tend to also be one of those people who like to get real close on the zooms, so many times you never see the photographer in there if they are sorta in front of me (if they are at all). A lot of what I see are too wide of shots. I try to get nice and close to the action to make it more intimate in my style.

Personally I think it's equally professional of a photographer if they show some courtesy to other fellow media vendors trying to make the best of their day and not getting in the video people's way. For me though it comes down to just approaching the photographer(s), be friendly and get an idea what they're doing and then work either with or around them. Generally they've been great.

That is one of the big advantages to my company is that we have a photographer/videographer team and that is a huge thing in already having a team that works well with each other to making sure both the mediums are well covered and presented with minimal intrusion.

It's a tough topic and I guess there isn't one sure-fire way to making things work every time. The Wedding couple just needs to know this up front and I always have this on my contract that it's incidental things out of my control if I'm in a pre-positioned shot, stuck there and being blocked by anyone. I adapt fast and get a different angle if needed, but I do put that in the contract just to cover myself in case.

That looked like a doozy of a wedding trying to avoid those photographers getting right in front of your shots. Sorry, man. :(
Ryan Czaplinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Czaplinski View Post
That is one of the big advantages to my company is that we have a photographer/videographer team and that is a huge thing in already having a team that works well with each other to making sure both the mediums are well covered and presented with minimal intrusion.
(
Agree a 100% we offer video and photography and the other times I get hired by a studio it's with a photographer I worked with. It's smooth sailing all the way, sometimes the photog do get carried away but is quick to apologize.
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
It's funny how wedding photography has evolved. I started out as a stills photographer and would cover a full wedding with 10 rolls of 120 film (120 exposures max) Now I see photographers with digital cameras shooting hundreds if not one or two thousand pictures at a wedding. They all seem to need re-assurance that the last picture taken was OK. Maybe this is both the blessing and curse for digital capture.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to go back to shooting film. (or tape for video cameras)
I still run into a photog who shoots with film, and I agree film photographers are generally more conservative (volume wise) in shooting pictures. During the reception he was down to 8 shots (cake, bouquet and whatever else is happening). I guess they do it because they can, my buddy who's been a wedding photographer for 20 years, shoots hundreds of pictures with digital, something he can't do back then with film.
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Hey Noel

That's my answer as well..a combined package and then I have the photog I want to work with and we respect each others space. However, more than often the bride has already booked a photog!!

The ladies last weekend were somewhat surprised when I asked nicely don't stand in front of my camera..I don't mind you crossing my field of view as I can cover that....the answer was "What if I need to take a shot from where your camera is????" She actually got in the way during the rings too!!!

I still like the Tazer idea with a warning....stand in front of my camera and you will get zapped!!!

Is taking just one step to the left or right going to make your shot impossible????

Chris
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #43
New Boot

Too funny watching that footage. Helped shoot a wedding this weekend and I know several shots of mine had to be adjusted or were just plain ruined by the photographers.. but one of the other camera operators had the worst of it.

One of the few times we have shot in a church where we could not move. This poor girl (college intern hoping to get into the business) is helping out for free. So we put her at the back of the church in the center of the aisle so she can get the central shots and the money shot of the bride and groom turning and exiting the church.. we're reviewing the tapes while they are being imported into FCP on Sunday.. right after the Bride and Groom kiss.. the screen is filled with the back of the photographer's head for the next ten seconds. Our camera girl slides to one side.. only to have the photographer's assistant block her shot with his back while he's holding the flash.

Thankfully, one of our spots was in the balcony by the organ just above that so we still got the shot. That taser idea sounds like a great solution. ;)
Michael Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #44
Major Player

What about photographer who loves to direct?

I've worked with one who just love to tell the bride & groom what to do. And as I'm editing I lose almost all the natural conversation in it as the photographer kept chirping in..

"Look here"
"Smile here"
"Wear that vest"
"Now smile again"
"Look up a bit"
"Look there"
"LOL"
@#^*&^@#

And he stands very close to my camera so it was really loud. While it gets the B&G laughing with his joke (and he gets all smiley faces on his shots), I dont feel comfortable with what I'll be seeing (or hearing) in the final edit. Surely he doesnt have to direct everything. :(
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Hey Johannes

I never hear directions from the photog cos they only near me during the ceremony and they dare not give directions!! I don't do any photoshoot with the photogs!! After the group pics I borrow the B&G for about 15 minutes and do a video shoot away from them..then the photog has them all to him/herself!!

I really cannot see the point of a videographer shooting footage of the photog taking stills of the bridal party...yet I see these guys doing it all the time????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques